Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Travel Supreme Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2017, 02:57 PM   #1

2001 DSO3 38' Bedroom Slide

Does anyone know where the bedroom slide controller on this beast resides? Thanks in advance.

John
jkrobbinssr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2017, 03:10 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrobbinssr View Post
Does anyone know where the bedroom slide controller on this beast resides? Thanks in advance.

John
Just a guess in the Bathroom small door Panel with the controls?

Hope I'm right.
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 04:47 PM   #3

Spartan Chassis
Quote:

John
John...
I assume where all the others are.. In the compartment below the drivers seat.. Every one I have ever seen is there..
Good luck..
Ron Husak
04 Travel Supreme 40DS04 400 Cummins ISL
rhusak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 05:58 PM   #4

The controllers for all 3 slides on my 2005 38ft are located outside front on the drivers side in the fuse compartment Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4063.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	400.8 KB
ID:	165012. Good luck Gregg
Greggnsally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 09:41 AM   #5

Take a peak inside the compartment that houses the inverter(s)..... That's where all four are located for my 2004 Select.
alfetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 10:18 AM   #6

mine too!
mmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 07:06 AM   #7

Nor'easters Club
FWIW, all four of mine are also in the front electrical compartment. One would think TS would have standardized some of this stuff to make production easier (ie: standard wiring harness). Based on what I read, it appears each rig is somewhat unique with regards to hardware, controls, light switch, etc placement.

Once again, it's a good thing we have this forum and the helpful TS community within it. I know I appreciate it.
sailor_lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 11:35 AM   #8

Mine are in the compartment in front of the right rear tire.
03 38' KSO3.
7138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 09:24 AM   #9

Spartan Chassis
On my 2001 it was located under bed then rerouted. To compertmnt next to batteries.
Drvr77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 06:20 AM   #10

Found it

I found it. Thanks for all of the reply's. I am not sure if that is the problem or the motor. The motor turns when I do correct polarity but does not when I reverse it. Any ideas?
Old 06-19-2017, 09:14 AM   #11

Spartan Chassis
Could be bad switch, try changing with. Other slide switch. Good luck.
Drvr77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 01:00 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Polarity Check

Quote:
I found it. Thanks for all of the reply's. I am not sure if that is the problem or the motor. The motor turns when I do correct polarity but does not when I reverse it. Any ideas?
By "correct polarity" I presume you mean 12V + to the red and the black to ground. My experience with both the Klauber and Leeson motors is that there is no 'correct' polarity on these motors. With 12V+ to red and ground to Black, it rotates one direction; putting the 12V+ on the black and grounding the red makes it rotate in the other direction.

There are two parts that occur when power is applied: brake release, and motor energize. When power is applied, regardless of polarity, both have to occur or the drive will not turn. So...

Are you powering this at the motor, or the controller? If you connect this at the motor via jumpers, and it only rotates one direction, my guess is the wires will get very hot if held in the 'non-rotating' connection since that current has to go somewhere. If you are checking at the controller, I'm betting the controller solenoid that reverses the polarity has failed.
f15epilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 02:49 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by f15epilot View Post
By "correct polarity" I presume you mean 12V + to the red and the black to ground. My experience with both the Klauber and Leeson motors is that there is no 'correct' polarity on these motors. With 12V+ to red and ground to Black, it rotates one direction; putting the 12V+ on the black and grounding the red makes it rotate in the other direction.

There are two parts that occur when power is applied: brake release, and motor energize. When power is applied, regardless of polarity, both have to occur or the drive will not turn. So...

Are you powering this at the motor, or the controller? If you connect this at the motor via jumpers, and it only rotates one direction, my guess is the wires will get very hot if held in the 'non-rotating' connection since that current has to go somewhere. If you are checking at the controller, I'm betting the controller solenoid that reverses the polarity has failed.

Thanks for the reply. I tried it with jumper cables and it ran in one direction only and sparked when reversing the polarity. I then hooked it back up to the controller and it again would run in one direction but not the other. I can spin it manually in both directions but not electrically. I am guessing that there might be a problem with the brushes in the motor allowing it to spin in one direction. Any Ideas?
Old 06-19-2017, 03:12 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Interesting that you can 'spin' the motor in one direction by hand. The slide drive mechanisms have three components: a mechanical brake, an electrical motor and a gear reduction unit. The mechanical brake is spring loaded in the STOP mode. Electrical power applied to the system releases the brake so the motor can turn. When the controller senses the 'end of travel' by the increased current at the travel limit, it terminates power to the motor and that brake re-engages to lock the mechanism in place. The lock is the small section on the end of the motor housing a little smaller than a tuna can and about as tall. It is there to 'lock' the slide in place, especially in the 'retracted' position so it will not vibrate out as we travel. The motor drives a significant gear reduction system to provide the significant torque of the system. As such, if all the gears are engaged, it presents a great deal of resistance to being 'hand turned' even with the brake released. So...

If you can hand turn the mechanism in either direction, it tells me the locking mechanism has failed since, to my knowledge, on the Klauber and Leeson slide mechanisms, when the brake engages, it stops travel in both directions. My knowledge, though, was anecdotal and based upon observation and hearing the solenoid 'click' (which caused a spark, too) when I manually jumpered the drive unit in either direction.

BL: if you can hand turn the mechanism at the output shaft, then the electrical brake likely has failed. Suggest giving Klauber MFR (check other posts or on-line) and giving them the model number of the drive mechanism. They will help you decide what is broken and can provide a replacement at a lower cost than going through a retailer.
f15epilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide