RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Travel Supreme Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-12-2014, 08:40 PM   #1

2004 Select 45 DS04 and what a learning curve

I bought an 2004 Select 45' DS04 this spring. I was the second owner of the coach as the original owners children sold the motorhome due to health issues of their father. The salesman i purchased the coach from was the original selling salesman and knew how meticulous the original owner was during his ownership. The salesman told me he was cautious to who he would show the motorhome to as he fully expected the coach would be a constant tweaking and fixing as all larger coaches can become a labour of love at the ten year mark or become really expensive and spend a lot of time in the shop. Wow was he right on the labour of love.....

I am in my early 40s and have owned RVs for over 20 years with these last two Rvs being class A models. My friends and family would say i have an advanced background in mechanics, electronics and a general handy guy that can fix just about anything. One of the resources i have turned to more and more with the select 45 has been this forum and the excellent sharing that everyone is providing each other. it is because of this forum i have been able to learn from others experiences instead of learning the hard way on my own.

Mods I have performed so far,
1. Converting the rear closet to a bunkhouse for my girls.
2. Changing of the factory Shocks to Kona FSD and Kona Adjustable shocks on front (fronts set to maximum after much tinkering)
3. Changing satellite to HD direct with 4 satellite recievers ( 1 for each TV)
4. Complete upgrade of all TVs to LED Tvs, customized outdoor entertainment cabinet now contains a 46" LED with swivel and extension
6. Cross Bracing to frame
7. currently modifying front cabinetry and TV area.
8. New OEM headlights

Issues the forum provided help and solutions to by learning from others fixes.

1. Generator smoking at start up (fix was changing air cleaner, fuel filter and cleaning out entire intake system as i too had a nest inside of it)
2. suspension bottoming out hard ( the Koni shocks did not fix this but a ride height adjustment fixed this)
3. Popping windshields and the X bracing (second time I popped the windshields in less than two weeks I went to Bruce coach in Salmon Arm BC and discovered he had purchased the engineered plans for the fix from travel supreme while they were still in business.

Current update / Sharing:
After getting my X- Bracing completed, I could not believe i was driving the same motorhome, the difference was dramatic. The windshields stopped popping out at every little bump too. One of the things I read from others with windshield issues was they had the centre brace updated and increased its strength to avoid any further issues. SO these posts lead me to decide to perform my wanted front cabinet redesign for the LED front TV, and more importantly enabling me to also inspect the front windshield Brace. To my shock and surprise the windshield centre brace was not attached at the top to anything !!! ( see attached pics).I will now make a new customized front cabinet that will include a curved steel frame for attaching the windshield center brace to. As currently there is only the fibreglass front cap or a little wood to secure it to which is hardly adequate IMHO. Another note regarding the windshields, the last installers showed me how the windshields were not OEM glass and the curvature was slightly incorrect compared to the body curvature ( this was real easy to see prior to them setting them) They recommended that before I changed windshields in the future that i provide them with the VIN number from the coach so they can source the exact original glass manufacturer to ensure the curvature is correct. They told me that incorrect curvature is responsible for many of the repairs they perform on all makes and models of coaches. Apparently the glass installers have the means to be able to source this information through the glass manufacturers???

I hope my sharing can help some others to get their Travel Supremes to better than new condition as mine is now getting too.

Click image for larger version

Name:	select 45 1.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	73681

Name:	select 45 2.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	73682

PS -- next mod i have been working on is to do with the Mac Truck headlights installed in the 2004 and prior motorhomes. I have new complete OEM headlights recently installed with aftermarket bulbs for adequate lights. But I am looking for something better, so far from playing with the original headlight bezels it appears 2 headlights stacked on top of another from a late ninety suburban will fill the opening perfectly. which opens a world of possibilities when it comes to aftermarket customization... headlight alignment and adjustment may be a different issue though, (that makes the final solution so rewarding though when i finally get it figured).

Andy

taipan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2014, 06:13 AM   #2

Has anyone else modified or fixed (reattached) the centre brace and what did you do?

2004 TS Select 45' DS04

Old 09-15-2014, 08:14 PM   #3

Taipan, great ideas there. Could you give more info on how you did the ext entertainment center? I am wanting to do the same. Also, I have not had the x bracing done. I have a 2002 38 DSO2. Does it make that big of a difference in the ride and handling? Thanks!
larryj41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 11:37 AM   #4

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by taipan View Post
I bought an 2004 Select 45' DS04 this spring. I was the second owner of the coach as the original owners children sold the motorhome due to health issues of their father. The salesman i purchased the coach from was the original selling salesman and knew how meticulous the original owner was during his ownership. The salesman told me he was cautious to who he would show the motorhome to as he fully expected the coach would be a constant tweaking and fixing as all larger coaches can become a labour of love at the ten year mark or become really expensive and spend a lot of time in the shop. Wow was he right on the labour of love.....

I am in my early 40s and have owned RVs for over 20 years with these last two Rvs being class A models. My friends and family would say i have an advanced background in mechanics, electronics and a general handy guy that can fix just about anything. One of the resources i have turned to more and more with the select 45 has been this forum and the excellent sharing that everyone is providing each other. it is because of this forum i have been able to learn from others experiences instead of learning the hard way on my own.

Mods I have performed so far,
1. Converting the rear closet to a bunkhouse for my girls.
2. Changing of the factory Shocks to Kona FSD and Kona Adjustable shocks on front (fronts set to maximum after much tinkering)
3. Changing satellite to HD direct with 4 satellite recievers ( 1 for each TV)
4. Complete upgrade of all TVs to LED Tvs, customized outdoor entertainment cabinet now contains a 46" LED with swivel and extension
6. Cross Bracing to frame
7. currently modifying front cabinetry and TV area.
8. New OEM headlights

Issues the forum provided help and solutions to by learning from others fixes.

1. Generator smoking at start up (fix was changing air cleaner, fuel filter and cleaning out entire intake system as i too had a nest inside of it)
2. suspension bottoming out hard ( the Koni shocks did not fix this but a ride height adjustment fixed this)
3. Popping windshields and the X bracing (second time I popped the windshields in less than two weeks I went to Bruce coach in Salmon Arm BC and discovered he had purchased the engineered plans for the fix from travel supreme while they were still in business.

Current update / Sharing:
After getting my X- Bracing completed, I could not believe i was driving the same motorhome, the difference was dramatic. The windshields stopped popping out at every little bump too. One of the things I read from others with windshield issues was they had the centre brace updated and increased its strength to avoid any further issues. SO these posts lead me to decide to perform my wanted front cabinet redesign for the LED front TV, and more importantly enabling me to also inspect the front windshield Brace. To my shock and surprise the windshield centre brace was not attached at the top to anything !!! ( see attached pics).I will now make a new customized front cabinet that will include a curved steel frame for attaching the windshield center brace to. As currently there is only the fibreglass front cap or a little wood to secure it to which is hardly adequate IMHO. Another note regarding the windshields, the last installers showed me how the windshields were not OEM glass and the curvature was slightly incorrect compared to the body curvature ( this was real easy to see prior to them setting them) They recommended that before I changed windshields in the future that i provide them with the VIN number from the coach so they can source the exact original glass manufacturer to ensure the curvature is correct. They told me that incorrect curvature is responsible for many of the repairs they perform on all makes and models of coaches. Apparently the glass installers have the means to be able to source this information through the glass manufacturers???

I hope my sharing can help some others to get their Travel Supremes to better than new condition as mine is now getting too.

Attachment 73681

Attachment 73682

PS -- next mod i have been working on is to do with the Mac Truck headlights installed in the 2004 and prior motorhomes. I have new complete OEM headlights recently installed with aftermarket bulbs for adequate lights. But I am looking for something better, so far from playing with the original headlight bezels it appears 2 headlights stacked on top of another from a late ninety suburban will fill the opening perfectly. which opens a world of possibilities when it comes to aftermarket customization... headlight alignment and adjustment may be a different issue though, (that makes the final solution so rewarding though when i finally get it figured).

Andy
Andy.. Looks like great Mods..
I am especially interested in the headlight modifications you have done so far.. My lenses seem in pretty good shape as mine spent it's previous life in a garage.. But they are typical of the time.. Low on beam and overall light.. Did you just use a higher wattage bulb and maybe relays?Or did you go with something a bit more exotic?
I have been on the hunt for driving lights.. as mine are cracked.. Not easy (at least for me) to find.. Am considering some LED units available a pencil beams or floods but are a bit smaller in Diameter..
Any help or advice will be appreciated..
Ron
04 Travel Supreme 40DS04 400 Cummins ISL
rhusak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 01:01 PM   #5

Hi Ron,
I went with a GE nighthawk bulb that claimed to give you twice the coverage while still being street legal. I found the bulbs to make a huge improvement over the stock bulbs (that is I can drive with just headlights and see where I'm going) Since I have an extra headlight housing assembly, I plan on going out to the auto wreckers to test fit some headlights from an older suburban to see if I could double stack the lights to hopefully be able to set one headlight aimed shorter for lighting up the road good and bright while the second one aimed out further to give better coverage. I will be working on this over the next couple of weeks and will keep you in the loop on the progress. My end result is to be able to order two custom led headlights that not only look really neat but make night driving comfortable.

If you have any thoughts or suggestions toward this, please pass on your ideas...

2004 TS Select 45' DS04
Old 09-16-2014, 01:06 PM   #6

Spartan Chassis
Andy..
Would be great if you would keep me in the loop.. I LIKE good headlights.. Every time I drive my Grand Cherokee with Xenon Projectors in it I am amazed..
Ron
04 Travel Supreme 40DS04 400 Cummins ISL
rhusak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 08:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryj41 View Post
Taipan, great ideas there. Could you give more info on how you did the ext entertainment center? I am wanting to do the same. Also, I have not had the x bracing done. I have a 2002 38 DSO2. Does it make that big of a difference in the ride and handling? Thanks!

I removed the original entertainment centre and built a custom cabinet to sit on the entertainment slide. I added an extension and swivel mount to the cabinet. See attached pictureClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1410922633.005737.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	831.5 KB
ID:	74038

2004 TS Select 45' DS04
Old 09-20-2014, 01:51 AM   #8

The finished product, windshield bracing repaired and customized cabinet and front LED TV installed Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1411199420.786362.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	465.6 KB
ID:	74352

View from below as entering coach

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1411199469.890152.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	402.3 KB
ID:	74353

2004 TS Select 45' DS04