Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Travel Supreme Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2016, 10:06 PM   #1
BFF

Spartan Chassis
Cool Air bags not filling when jacks retracted

I have a 2005 40TS04. When I use the auto level feture, the air is dumped on all 4 wheels, the jacks go down and the coach is leveled after many short adjustments. When I retract the jacks using the all retract button some times the air bags do not re-inflate. I have tried retracting the jacks manually with the engine running or not (air pressure 125+), no air inflation. Put all the jacks down and retracted them manually and after several try's the bags finally inflated. I have had many years of air bag problems with other coaches but this is the first time I have not been able to figure the proper sequence to get the bags to fill. Some times they fill as soon as I retract the jacks but today it took me at least 10 try's to get them to inflate. Any one have any ideas. I am stumped. Bruce
BFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2016, 10:13 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Probably time to have the ride height valves checked/replaced.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 11:55 PM   #3

Spartan Chassis
Bruce, before replacing parts, try starting the engine and waiting for the air system to purge before selecting ALL RETRACT. Our systems like a lot of air pressure when closing the dump valves. That one step ended my inflation problems.
Let us know if that helps!
2023 F-150 Towed
rag_ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 10:37 AM   #4

I step on the gas pedal to speed the engine up like around 12-1300 rpm's. Works for me..
Old 06-01-2016, 12:22 PM   #5

On mine I just let it sit for a few minutes after starting and it will inflate the bags
Kimberlyd28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 03:16 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Agree with the airing up process outlined above. I press the cruise control button ON/OFF button then press SET and the rpms go up to about 1000. I don't know if you have the Hadley air system, but if you do sometimes the LOWER button has been pressed. See if the LOWER light is on and if so press the STD RIDE button. Bags will fill.
dcphil_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 07:45 AM   #7
BFF

Spartan Chassis
Thanks I do not have the Hadley air system. I have not had the chance to try any of the proposed solutions, I am still working full time. Bruce
Old 06-02-2016, 10:57 AM   #8

On ours, after hitting the Retract All button and letting the jacks lift, I have to press a second time for the bags to fill .... and yes, I also use the high idle as described to reduce the amount of time ... just a thought

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
hal1phx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 09:51 AM   #9

The only problem I have ever had in that regard was very soon after purchasing my TS used and I did not have the air system fully charged from sitting a few days. Never since. The other thing for me is having changed the process of extending and retracting my slides. After reading so many posts about how the slides were installed and adjusted to roll in and out at ride height I now pull in to a site and extend the slides, then level. On retracting I start the engine build full air pressure and then I retract the leveler's. No problem so far with either the slides or the air bags filling up. I am also pretty particular about not trying to get into a camp site that is not pretty level front to back and side to side. Especially if it looks like the site is going to be twisted side to side and different from front to rear for example the site being lower in the back on the left side and the front being lower on the right side if that makes sense. Too many horror stories of popping windshields and binding slides for my liking, after all we are talking about something being 40' or + in length and only four jack pads so the motor home would be like living in two different countries...Hope this helps and makes any sense to you.
Old 06-04-2016, 09:02 AM   #10
BFF

Spartan Chassis
Problem solved

I finally had a chance to try the various proposed solutions. The one that worked immediately was 1. Start the engine and build up the air pressure to max 2. Retract the jacks using the all jacks button 3. Push the all retract button after all the jacks have been retracted(PROBLEM SOLVED ALL AIR BAGS FILLED) 4. Close slides starting at the drivers side rear and going counter clockwise for the rest of the slides 5. Disconnect the water, sewer, power, START ENGINE, lock all outside doors, check all outside awnings retracted, turn on running lights, visual check of all lights working including turn signals on coach and trailer, check trailer connection, check to see that there is nothing hanging down under coach, have someone watch to see that no obstacles are in way. I have made a check list with a plastic cover to let me mark all the above procedures have been followed before hitting the road.
Thanks again for all your help and suggestions.
Bruce
Old 06-04-2016, 06:06 PM   #11

On Newmar's with Spartan chassis which is what TS have we have found bring in the slide AFTER we have full air bags helps with slides coming in easier and straight.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 06:11 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Bruce: I don't know how much you travel or if you just use your coach occasionally. My wife an I travel quite a bit (135 K in current coach). We have devised a system that works for us that saves some time.
1. Close the slides. No particular order. Usually two at the same time.
2. Start engine. Set on high idle. Turn on emergency flashers and running lights
3. When pressure starts to build press retract all jacks
4. While DW completes inside (counter tops, etc.) I head outside to remove sewer hose (I dump on arrival not departure), elec and water.
5. Start inspection/walk around. Jacks up, awnings snug, antennas down. As I go behind the coach, I check tow bar and connections, walk behind the tow and check flashers on coach and tow.
6. Inspect down the passenger side and stop at the right front tire. By now the air bags should be full and there should be several inches of clearance above the tire. You can calibrate with experience.

I am sure that over time you will do what works best for you. Happy traveling. May all of you bags be aired.
dcphil_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 06:48 PM   #13

When you hit the retract button you should here a release of air that signifies the air valve has engaged. if you don't hear a "pussssh" of air release - shut the engine off and push the retract. You may have to start the leveling process again - power off the system and push the retract button again. On mine - the valve has to release and you should hear it. If the valve doesn't release the brakes air up - but not the bags.
DA_BUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 02:49 PM   #14

I have the Equalizer system for the jacks. To get the air bags to inflate, the engine must be started first. The air must come up to full pressure. Then press the "All Retract". The jacks will retract and the air bags will fill up.

This system has a check valve that must have considerable pressure to activate it so that it will allow the bags to fill after the jacks have retracted.
AccessMaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks