Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Travel Supreme Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2015, 07:48 AM   #1

Battery problems

Hi All,
I am sorry this is so long, but I am so frustrated and I wanted to give all the facts.
We are fulltiming in our 02 TS and have had battery problems since July. We were parked this summer in Colorado for a month plugged into 30 amp and when it was time to leave the chassis batteries were dead. I was able to use the battery boost button to start the coach.
We then went to New Mexico for 3 weeks. Same situation, the lights in the house that run off the chassis batteries went dead and we could not start the coach without the battery boost.
After that we were in Texas and had the same problem. I bought 2 new Volvo truck batteries and hoped that would work. Since then, the batterries have gone dead twice and now the battery boost wont even turn the enfine.
We got to Crater of Diamonds State Park on Tuesday and last night the light started going dim. I tried the ignition and the engine wouldn't turn over.
I am waiting now for someone from Coach Net to come give us a boost. We are plugged into 50 amp here.We do have a 3000w inverter/charger and 600 watts of solar panels on the roof. There is a 15w panel that is only supposed to charge the chassis batteries.
Any ideas? I have had no one can seem to find the problem.
Thanks for your help!
larryj41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2015, 08:03 AM   #2

None of my interior lights run off my chassis batteries, so if any of my lights were dim, it would be because the coach batteries were running down.

Is your inverter's charge function turned on?

When you first plug in at a campground, do you show a progression of bulk charge, then absorb, then float for your house batteries? Does running the engine charge the chassis batteries for any length of time?
Old 10-23-2015, 09:37 AM   #3

I too am surprised that your house lights are effecting the chassis batteries ... should be totally separate system. Maybe some wiring issues ???

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
hal1phx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 10:06 AM   #4

Hi Larry and Debbie,

If you are plugged in to shore power, the inverter/charger will provide all power other than engine starting. If you use the boost button and crank your engine, the charger will be providing up to the current maximum of the charger. The charger will also fully charge your house battery and you may have a bi-directional relay that keeps the starting battery charged.

I don't think any motorhome uses the chassis battery for interior loads other than a dash radio.

Since you have shore power, an inverter/charger and PV solar, your house battery should be full. Somewhere you have lost the connection to the battery from all charge sources.

I'll need more information to help. But first, look around the house battery for any corrosion or wiring thatmay be loose. A poor DC connection can produce the things you are saying.

Larry
I have a vast knowledge about PV solar, batteries and inverters. I'll try to provide the best answer if I know it and hopefully correct some "Campfire" talk. Full-time 1999-2004. Part time now. '92 Hawkins, 360AH Lithium Battery, 1480 Watts PV solar.
BatteryPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 10:30 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryj41 View Post
Hi All,
I am sorry this is so long, but I am so frustrated and I wanted to give all the facts.
We are fulltiming in our 02 TS and have had battery problems since July. We were parked this summer in Colorado for a month plugged into 30 amp and when it was time to leave the chassis batteries were dead. I was able to use the battery boost button to start the coach.
We then went to New Mexico for 3 weeks. Same situation, the lights in the house that run off the chassis batteries went dead and we could not start the coach without the battery boost.
After that we were in Texas and had the same problem. I bought 2 new Volvo truck batteries and hoped that would work. Since then, the batterries have gone dead twice and now the battery boost wont even turn the enfine.
We got to Crater of Diamonds State Park on Tuesday and last night the light started going dim. I tried the ignition and the engine wouldn't turn over.
I am waiting now for someone from Coach Net to come give us a boost. We are plugged into 50 amp here.We do have a 3000w inverter/charger and 600 watts of solar panels on the roof. There is a 15w panel that is only supposed to charge the chassis batteries.
Any ideas? I have had no one can seem to find the problem.
Thanks for your help!
I am not familiar with the exact components or locations of your system, but I am quite sure you have an energy management system that switches the charging current from the house batteries to the chassis batteries based on the input voltage it sees from either bank of batteries.
The system will consist of a sensing device, a HD Solenoid (controlled by the sensing device) to switch power from one bank to the other and another HD Solenoid to connect the two banks when you use the Boost Switch.
The trick now is to locate these components and test them to see which one has failed. Time to get out your trusty voltmeter or call your nearest RV Tech.
Attached is a link to Intellitec who supply components and systems to most of the coach manufacturers. There is some tech info in there that may help you diagnose your problem. Hope this helps, don't be afraid to ask more questions.

Speciality vehicle power distribution, charging, switching and controlling electrical systems from Intellitec
Old 10-23-2015, 10:31 AM   #6

Unplug the coach and measure the chassis (starting) battery. Plug in the unit. Measure the battery again. If the voltage did not go up you are not charging the chassis battery when plugged in. From there it depends whether or not you have a BIRD type system. Many (most?) units do not. When you are parked the chassis battery runs down from internal loads like computers that control the engine and chassis functions as well as add on bits like a GPS. Most systems will sit for a week or two but not months without some kind of chassis battery maintainer. If you run the battery flat enough you will have a problem trying to recharge it. Even if you recharge it the life will be degraded. You need to figure out whether you have a broken BIRD or just need a maintainer for the chassis battery.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 11:01 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
Unplug the coach and measure the chassis (starting) battery. Plug in the unit. Measure the battery again. If the voltage did not go up you are not charging the chassis battery when plugged in. From there it depends whether or not you have a BIRD type system. Many (most?) units do not. When you are parked the chassis battery runs down from internal loads like computers that control the engine and chassis functions as well as add on bits like a GPS. Most systems will sit for a week or two but not months without some kind of chassis battery maintainer. If you run the battery flat enough you will have a problem trying to recharge it. Even if you recharge it the life will be degraded. You need to figure out whether you have a broken BIRD or just need a maintainer for the chassis battery.
All good advice with the exception of adding a battery maintainer. This coach has been in service since 2002 and has, I assume, worked well without a bat maintainer. Please don't confuse the OP. I suggest sticking to the idea of finding and fixing the problem without reinventing the wheel.
Old 10-24-2015, 05:47 AM   #8

Thanks so much for all of your replies. This forum is great. When the gerleman came to jump the battery, he found that a cable had been attached wrong and thinks it was draining the batteries.
Everything is charged up and running now and we are hoping that the cable was the problem.
Again, thank you!
larryj41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 04:14 PM   #9

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatteryPro View Post
..... But first, look around the house battery for any corrosion or wiring thatmay be loose. A poor DC connection can produce the things you are saying.
Always the FIRST place to start looking for elec problems is connection problems. Question I always ask myself. What have I touched/changed since everything was working correctly. If I have not touched anything I immediately start looking for corrosion or loose connections.

Keep us advised if you have additional problems. There are more gremlins to play with!!
2023 F-150 Towed
rag_ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 05:09 PM   #10
YC1

You said no one can seem to find the problem? Have you had an RV tech look at it?

You probably have more than one problem which is not uncommon. Your first step beside a good cleaning of the battery terminals and tightening the posts and following the negative wires to the frame grounds and doing the same is to measure the voltage on each bank of batteries and post those results.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 05:11 PM   #11
YC1

The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1)

Glad you got it going. Check this site out so you can understand the systems better.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
problems, battery