Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Travel Supreme Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2019, 06:13 AM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Bedroom slide only halfway out

New to me TS 38 DS04 unit. Tried to open the bedroom slide for the first time, opens halfway then stops? The temperature was only 35 degrees, the table/couch slide work OK. was not plug into shore power. Batteries are all new and should be fully charged, but didn't measure the voltage. It seems these sides have some sort of torque-sensing because I pushed on the slide as it was moving out and it stopped. Any ideas or suggestions. Thanks Bill
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2019, 07:22 AM   #2

Spartan Chassis
Your profile indicates you have three slides. I'm assuming you only have one in the bedroom which is the bed?

If you are talking about the bed slide there is a support block that fails and causes binding of the slide. Can't give much more info than that because Paul Conley fixed mine back in 2015 and I wasn't there to see what he did. I do think it was an easy fix as it took him all of 15 minutes to complete the job. Maybe some of the other guys on here can give you more detailed info.
2023 F-150 Towed
rag_ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 07:59 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rag_ftw View Post
Your profile indicates you have three slides. I'm assuming you only have one in the bedroom which is the bed?

If you are talking about the bed slide there is a support block that fails and causes binding of the slide. Can't give much more info than that because Paul Conley fixed mine back in 2015 and I wasn't there to see what he did. I do think it was an easy fix as it took him all of 15 minutes to complete the job. Maybe some of the other guys on here can give you more detailed info.
Yep, we're talking about the bed slide. Talked with the previous owner, he said never had an issue...for what it's worth.
Old 12-05-2019, 03:10 PM   #4

might be a little worn but cold weather brings out the worst in anything makes motors work harder ect I try not to use anything like that in winter
Herb
Herb51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 03:40 PM   #5

Location: Lake OZ,MO summer-RiverBend Motorcoach Resort,FL winter
There is a roller support on some floor plans, not sure about yours. With slide in should be able to see via shower, but again not sure about your floor plan.
Could be only a simple adjustment of the slide controller. As motors go bad, they can draw more amperage causing the torque limiter in the controller to prematurely shut the slide down.
In Marathon, had to replace step controller on arrival, as had problem when leaving up north.
Agree, cold is nasty.
Old 12-05-2019, 04:10 PM   #6

Spartan Chassis
First thing to check is for any obstructions under the bed platform that are binding as the slide is trying to extend. You could even raise the bed platform and watch it go out to do this. I had something on the left side of the underbed compartment once and it caused the slide to bind and stop extending. After that experience I no longer put anything in the left side.

While you have the bed platform raised check the rollers on each side of the bed and make sure they haven't dropped down and are no longer making contact.

If that is good check the slide reveal on the outside, as someone extends the slide, for any signs of binding or slide scraping on the frame as it extends.

It could be a weak slide motor but that wouldn't be the most common problem. That bedroom slide has a strong motor and good gear system for such a small slide.

And for what it's worth, precious owners will have never experienced any problem you will have with your coach!
2023 F-150 Towed
Old 12-07-2019, 06:27 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Update on slide...well yesterday as the slide was moving out I pushed on it a little harder than before...continued all the way out. Did not make any weird noises. It's going to warm up today and I'll try to put it in. fingers crossed...lol
Old 12-07-2019, 07:54 AM   #8

I live in Vermont and have seen it so dam cold a motor would just hum and not turn over connected to nothing finally they just burn out you might still have a problem that adds just enough stress that cold tops it off if a gearbox is added grease in that becomes thicker as well adding to the problem
Herb51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 08:48 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldeguy View Post
Update on slide...well yesterday as the slide was moving out I pushed on it a little harder than before...continued all the way out. Did not make any weird noises. It's going to warm up today and I'll try to put it in. fingers crossed...lol
Battery voltage is a huge factor for our slides.

Their controller operates to stop them in or out when the amps get too high...when they meet the obstruction at the end.

If the battery is low at all, the amperage is higher than normal, and the slightest slow-down from everything being cold makes it even higher.

You can turn up the pot on the face of the controller...but then it will allow much higher amps when next you run the slide and it's warm and you're plugged in...which will put unnecessary strain on everything.

I've started moving my slides only while I'm plugged in or the genny's been running for a bit...so the batteries are pumped up and warm. Much less strain on the motor and controller.
Old 12-07-2019, 08:55 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
The instructions for my slides say due to the high electric needs of the slides the RV should be be plugged in, or generator running, or engine running - with a preference for the engine running.
I know that different rigs have different rules.
If you're unable to plug in where you are you might try running either the generator or the main engine to see if that gives your slides the extra juice they need to work as expected.
Old 12-08-2019, 01:30 PM   #11

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podivin View Post
The instructions for my slides say due to the high electric needs of the slides the RV should be be plugged in, or generator running, or engine running - with a preference for the engine running.
I know that different rigs have different rules.
If you're unable to plug in where you are you might try running either the generator or the main engine to see if that gives your slides the extra juice they need to work as expected.
Travel Supreme slides won't move when the ignition switch is on, at least mine won't. They do like being plugged in or the generator running, especially if the batteries are getting long in the tooth.
2023 F-150 Towed
Old 12-08-2019, 03:32 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Thanks all! think I'm good...
Old 12-08-2019, 04:10 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldeguy View Post
Thanks all! think I'm good...
Outstanding! What'd you do?
Old 12-09-2019, 05:41 AM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
Outstanding! What'd you do?
Did do anything...just optimistic that it was the cold.

Tags
slide