Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Travel Supreme Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-15-2015, 08:58 AM   #1

Brochures or Tech Specs for 2005 DS04??

Search the internet and can't find them. Search iRV2 and most questions are related to the Select line, so can anybody point me to where I can get specs or floorplans for the 2005 38DS04?

Seller says that X-bracing has been done. Did this year/model have problems with their wet bays?

Thanks all!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2015, 12:07 PM   #2

Spartan Chassis
Rick, I have attached a brochure for a 2004 38DS04. Hopefully there aren't a lot of changes.

I am under the impression that 38' coaches did not require cross bracing. I have put close to 15,000 miles on mine going back and forth and around Alaska and have not had any windshield problems. (knock on wood!)

My wet bay tray has been replaced with a stainless steel serving tray that works very well.

Hope this helps a little.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2004 Brochure.pdf (2.24 MB, 854 views)
2023 F-150 Towed
rag_ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 12:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rag_ftw View Post
Rick, I have attached a brochure for a 2004 38DS04. Hopefully there aren't a lot of changes.

I am under the impression that 38' coaches did not require cross bracing. I have put close to 15,000 miles on mine going back and forth and around Alaska and have not had any windshield problems. (knock on wood!)

My wet bay tray has been replaced with a stainless steel serving tray that works very well.

Hope this helps a little.
Thank you, Robert. That's exactly what I was looking for; especially specs and floorplan options.
Old 02-16-2015, 07:56 AM   #4

Nor'easters Club
Rick,

Attached are a couple of 06 brochures for the same rig, I was never able to find any for the 05 model year. Between the one Robert supplied and this you should have the 05 covered pretty well. I too do not have the X-bracing and have not had any issues, but if it was added even better. FWIW, a few years ago I lined a small portion of the wet bay (below all the water and tank dump valves) with a sheet of stainless steel and turned it up on the sides. This has kept the remaining areas below the tanks dry and so far no wet bay issues. Good luck.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 06 Brochure.pdf (2.52 MB, 485 views)
File Type: pdf 2006Envoy.pdf (2.27 MB, 271 views)
sailor_lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 07:03 AM   #5

Thanks, Lou!!

The brochures raise some more questions, though.

The seller says he has as 350HP Cummins, but the brochure says CAT. I'm asking him to confirm, but in the meantime, did TS offer both engines in 2005?

Second is...what is the difference between a TS and a TS Envoy? Again, seller isn't sure what he has (had it since new, but elderly) so is there a way to tell from what the coach looks like, or just from paperwork?
Old 02-17-2015, 08:14 AM   #6

Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
Thanks, Lou!!

The brochures raise some more questions, though.

The seller says he has as 350HP Cummins, but the brochure says CAT. I'm asking him to confirm, but in the meantime, did TS offer both engines in 2005?

Second is...what is the difference between a TS and a TS Envoy? Again, seller isn't sure what he has (had it since new, but elderly) so is there a way to tell from what the coach looks like, or just from paperwork?
I believe in 05 the Cummins was an option, at least it was on the Envoy model. The Envoy was TS's version of an entry level rig and although it used many of the same components found on the other models (chassis, engine, tranny, corian counters, kitchen & bath tile, etc.), some of the higher end features (lighted ceiling fixture, cedar lined closet, power cord & hose reels, etc) were not standard. The name Envoy is clearly marked on the side so if the rig you are considering isn't marked, it's most likely the model Travel Supreme, which is confusing since it's also the manufacturer's name. Hope this helps.
Old 02-18-2015, 06:15 AM   #7

The seller is really slow to respond, so can you tell whether these two photos are of an Envoy?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TS ExtL.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	86378   Click image for larger version

Name:	TS LR.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	86379  

Old 02-18-2015, 06:47 AM   #8

Nor'easters Club
Rick,

I believe that is a model Travel Supreme, which is a step above the Envoy based on the following:

1) It looks like it is labeled "Travel Supreme" on the front slide (mine clearly states "Envoy" below the driver's side window.
2) It has the lighted ceiling fixture in the main cabin.
3) It also has a side radiator (mine has a rear rad.).

I imagine it could have been special ordered with some of these options (items 2 & 3), but I kind of doubt it because by the time you added it all up it would have been better to just get the model Travel Supreme. Also, another interesting point is that it has the 06 paint scheme. I've seen that before many times (esp. in the 05 model year) and I am not sure if the rigs were ordered that way or maybe just manufactured late in the production run.

FWIW, most of this info is based on my observations of other rigs I have seen and some online literature so please don't take it all as fact. The rig looks nice in the pics, how far away from you is it and do you plan on taking a trip to view it?
Old 02-18-2015, 07:01 AM   #9

Thanks, Lou. I'm waiting for the engine S/N in order to determine whether or not it's one the recall Cummins. With the paint color being an '06 scheme, that's when the wristpin engines were produced. (I'm no expert, just able to read things)

If the engine checks out, then I'll make a trip to see it. Looks like a nice rig, just having a heck of a time getting answers from the seller.
Old 02-18-2015, 07:28 AM   #10

Nor'easters Club
I agree, if the engine S/N puts it into the wrist pin category that would be a show stopper for me. One other item to check in that timeframe is the Spartan ball joint boot failures. If you are not familiar with the issue just ask or search the forum. I wouldn't consider that a deal breaker, but would use it as a negotiating tool on price. Good luck.
Old 02-18-2015, 03:26 PM   #11

Quote:
Thanks, Lou. I'm waiting for the engine S/N in order to determine whether or not it's one the recall Cummins. With the paint color being an '06 scheme, that's when the wristpin engines were produced. (I'm no expert, just able to read things)

If the engine checks out, then I'll make a trip to see it. Looks like a nice rig, just having a heck of a time getting answers from the seller.
I bought new a 2005 Travel Supreme same as picture. Nice coach, I believe all of the 2005 Tavel Supreme base models were Cummins powered. Did X brace mine after i had a jack leak down and cracked my windshield.
turbo24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 03:57 PM   #12

Well, cripes. Reading several threads about those boots is dis-concerting... at the very least. I've already got several "Suckered by Land Rover" t-shirts, so don't need a Spartan one.

If the boots get replaced, is this a recurring thing that gets done periodically, or are the new boots of a better material, or are 2005 models part of the problem years, or not?
Old 02-18-2015, 06:39 PM   #13

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Well, cripes. Reading several threads about those boots is dis-concerting... at the very least. I've already got several "Suckered by Land Rover" t-shirts, so don't need a Spartan one.

If the boots get replaced, is this a recurring thing that gets done periodically, or are the new boots of a better material, or are 2005 models part of the problem years, or not?
Rick..
no it's a one time deal.. They used a material that tended to crack and allow intrusion of water dirt etc.
They install new ball joints as I believe no replacement boots are available..
Don't know what to say about the wrist pin issue other than to contact Cummins and see if it's been addressed on your (prospective) coach.. I really like my 04 and would not hesitate to buy another..
Good luck with your decision
Ron
04 Travel Supreme 40DS04 400 Cummins ISL
rhusak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 07:50 PM   #14

A specific number of engines were affected, from this explanation:

It was a voluntary recall, not under the NTSB, so that Cummins could control their exposure. It was known as the C-0713 wristpin campaign and affected ISL engines manufactured from December, 2005 to April, 2006 with serial numbers 46543077 to 46603939. Approximately 2159 engines were included in the recall. Connecting rods for that batch of engines were manufactured with defective machining for the wristpins, and when they let go, the results were catastrophic.