Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Travel Supreme Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2019, 09:38 AM   #1

Chassis type

Just have a quick question. I have a 2005 travel supreme 38' Ds04 and planning to put Koni shocks on the chassis to replace the original bilsteins. The different shops that I've contacted are asking which chassis I have. Does anyone know if I have the spartan K2 chassis or the Spartan mountain master chassis thank you

Lou
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2019, 09:46 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhitrose View Post
Just have a quick question. I have a 2005 travel supreme 38' Ds04 and planning to put Koni shocks on the chassis to replace the original bilsteins. The different shops that I've contacted are asking which chassis I have. Does anyone know if I have the spartan K2 chassis or the Spartan mountain master chassis thank you

Lou
Lou,

Pretty sure you would have the Mountain Master. The K2 came with the 500 hp which I don’t think were offered in the MM.

If you have the 350 or the 400 then it should be the MM.

When you get it done let us know how the ride changed.
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 09:57 AM   #3

I have the Cummins 350 hp do then I ...would assume we then have the mountain master chassis. Gonna shop around for the best deal on Koni shocks.
Thank you for the info.
Old 03-19-2019, 10:19 AM   #4

Are most people ordering the adjustable shocks and using soft setting or is it ok to go with the standard non adjustable koni shocks. Also is it advisable to put them over the rear axle is well or are most owners installing them on the front only.
Old 03-19-2019, 10:28 AM   #5

Quote:
Are most people ordering the adjustable shocks and using soft setting or is it ok to go with the standard non adjustable koni shocks. Also is it advisable to put them over the rear axle is well or are most owners installing them on the front only.
Yes to all of the above🤷🏼*♂️

Do a search there has been much discussion and really no consensus .

IMHO standard on the front first as I have never traveled in the back.

That would be my choice - also if I recall some have found some good online pricing so a search is a good idea.

I’m on my phone or I’d give you the links.

Best of Luck,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 05:14 PM   #6

Spartan Chassis
Mine is on a Mountain Master chassis with the 12,600 independent front axle also the 2006 brochure I have indicates the same. I don't have any info for 2005.

I put non-adjustable Konis on the front and noticed better transition (less hard bump) when crossing bridge thresholds and expansion joints in the highway. Can't tell any difference in handling.

I bought 90-2815s from Spartan in Jan of 2018 for $181.00 each. Probably better prices if you shop around!
2023 F-150 Towed
rag_ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 10:37 PM   #7

Thanks for the info Robert....do you know if anyone is putting them in the rear at all. Seems like most owners are going just with the front. That certainly is more affordable.
Old 03-20-2019, 06:24 AM   #8

Nor'easters Club
Lou,

As the other have stated, it's a pretty safe bet you have the Mountain Master chassis. However, a call to Spartan with the VIN will confirm any doubt.

The next question is whether you have IFS or a solid front axle. My rig (same year and model number) was supplied with the solid axle (Arvin Meritor Model: FF961lk 179) and I have been unable to find a Koni shock for that setup. If you have the same, I'd be interested in learning what options are out there for shocks.
sailor_lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 08:40 AM   #9

Quote:
Are most people ordering the adjustable shocks and using soft setting or is it ok to go with the standard non adjustable koni shocks.
I bought my '06 Select when it was 5 years old, and replaced its leaky front shocks with the Koni adjustables, set on medium. Lovely ride.

That was 8 years ago. Last year, hearing so much good news about the new Koni EVO 99 shocks...even compared to the adjustables...I put a set of them on the front.

After driving all day following the install, I realized I'd never noticed the new ride at all.

Bingo! They're so good, so smooth you never notice the ride!

Smoother over bumps & dips, much better control up & off bridges. I'm very impressed with the EVO 99s.

I've read a lot of stories on the Entegra forum of problems getting them for the solid axle Aspires & Insignias. Not sure anyone has been successful getting the correct one.
Old 04-07-2019, 09:04 AM   #10

Lou, you were absolutely correct. I did call Spartan with the Vin number and this particular motor home, similar to yours will not accommodate Koni shocks. There apparently is problem with clearance . I have to stay with the bilsteins . The part number if you're interested is BE5 - 2564. I ordered 2 off the internet at a good price. Hope it makes a difference. The originals are 15 yrs old. I'll let you know. Thanks again for uour assistance.

Tags
chassis