Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Travel Supreme Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2013, 08:24 AM   #15

Mine has all the bracing Dick notes above, including the Z bracing visible underneath.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2013, 09:02 AM   #16

Mine is an 07 on a K-3 chassis I do not have the X-bracing, and have had no problems with windshield... 70,000 miles I like the "ride" that this coach gives me, but I often wonder, if in my case, it would improve the ride enough to be worth paying for the bracing to be done. I can't imagine it getting much better My thinking is that I might wait to see if I have any Windsheild problems or start to see any stress fractures. So far, so good...
I would also add, that I did not do my due diligence before buying this coach and didn't know of the problems. With that being said, and knowing what I know now... I would definitely agree that that for the OP, this would need to be addressed and certainly part of the negotiations.
Jeff
La-Z-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 12:24 AM   #17

Jeff,
I had such notable improvement from x bracing on my Alante that when I bought my Limited the first thing that I considered is having the x bracing done. I was brining it to Precision for a few minor items and thought that would be a good time to do it. I asked Paul Conley about having it done. He told me that it is not necessary at all on the K 3 chassis. He said "that thing is a tank". The reason I wanted to have it done is because I was constantly moving the steering wheel back and forth. I then called Spartan in Michigan. They told that I should not have that problem with the K 3. They suggested that there was something going on with the steering system. I brought it to Spartan in Michigan and they went through the whole system. They fixed a number of little things but the main item was the steering boxes. They explained what they did but I did not understand it and do not remember it. All I know is that when I drove it away it was like driving a new coach. The steering was much better and I have very little correction to make when driving. It was a long trip but worth every mile.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:35 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks everyone for your input. I have located a 2006 Select that is withing 3 hours. I would probably drive up this wekend and take a peek if it wasn't for winter storm Cleon. I have also downloaded a 2006 Select brochure that has been helpful.

A couple more questions. Is the X-bracing something that was prescibed by Spartan and is this problem wide-spread across all Spartan chassis coaches for those years?

NADA does not factor mileage on MH's with diesel engines. Most of these coaches seem to have low mileage. However, what would the real value difference be in say 30K - 55K, assuming the coaches were equal in condition and options.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 09:12 AM   #19

Nor'easters Club
Guys,

Based on everything I've read, the K3 chassis doesn't need the any additional X-bracing because of the rigidity of the frame. There was an interesting post over on the Entegra forum about a few new coaches with constant steering issues and it appeared in these cases Spartan didn't initially setup the steering box properly; something to do with a steering box alignment mark. The good news was once that was identified the problem was corrected. Dick, maybe that was one of the items they corrected on your rig.

I believe the X-bracing was something that TS developed as a fix after a few rigs started showing signs of window problems. Since then it appears it has been improved by others, Precision Painting and Bishop at Midwest Customs (before he closed up) come to mind. Since building the coach is outside of Spartan's control it isn't really a wide spread Spartan issue, but they may have provided some input on a fix. Also, I would say 30-55K difference in mileage on a diesel rig (unless it was one or two years old) will have an insignificant impact on it's value. I have read were some people gravitate towards something will slightly higher mileage believing that is better for the drivetrain, although I have yet to see any actual studies or empirical data to support those claims. Obviously if you find something with ridiculously low mileage (ie: 10K @ 8 or 9 years old) or a rig that has been parked for years, then additional attention may be prudent. I have a classic Mustang that on a good year may be driven 2k miles and some years less than a few hundred, yet it always starts up and runs just fine with no seal failures or oil leaks. Good luck with your search.

Lou
05 TS Envoy 38DS04
sailor_lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 11:46 PM   #20

Dave Troxel, former TS parts manager, has the old fiberglass molds and unique TS parts. He is the boss on anything TS. He is still in Elkhart. http://djspecialties.net/wsb4954069701/3.html
12 Tires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 06:14 AM   #21

Lou,
Good response.
Old 12-07-2013, 06:19 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
Thanks everyone for your input. I have located a 2006 Select that is withing 3 hours. I would probably drive up this wekend and take a peek if it wasn't for winter storm Cleon. I have also downloaded a 2006 Select brochure that has been helpful.

A couple more questions. Is the X-bracing something that was prescibed by Spartan and is this problem wide-spread across all Spartan chassis coaches for those years?

NADA does not factor mileage on MH's with diesel engines. Most of these coaches seem to have low mileage. However, what would the real value difference be in say 30K - 55K, assuming the coaches were equal in condition and options.
Scotty,
That should be a very nice rig. I just want to remind you that even if it has low mileage if the tires have not been replaced, you will have to replace them. Big bucks and an easy negotiation with seller.
Old 12-07-2013, 07:25 AM   #23

As Dick stated, be sure to check the DOT date on the tires. The tires are a huge expense and an easy overlook for some folks. Might look at when Batteries were replaced too.
Dale F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 08:26 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfiver View Post
Dave Troxel, former TS parts manager, has the old fiberglass molds and unique TS parts. He is the boss on anything TS. He is still in Elkhart. http://djspecialties.net/wsb4954069701/3.html
Have you tried contacting Dave lately? Paul Conley told me a few months ago that Dave had closed his shop.
Old 12-09-2013, 01:20 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
Have you tried contacting Dave lately? Paul Conley told me a few months ago that Dave had closed his shop.
I have not. I last contacted him about a year ago. We have since sold our TS.
12 Tires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 07:54 PM   #26

I have posted a lot of comments on the X_Bracing and windshields and driving habits (flat ground - find it and stay on it). A fourth and main component is an x-brace behind (outside) the storage area in front of the axle with re-enforcement tied to the sides of the rails underneath the storage area. Mine is now built like a tank...I have had my TS over 3 years - any questions let me know. I do have the manual also....not the same model though.
DA_BUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 09:25 PM   #27

Freightliner Owners Club
Precision IS about the only place I'd go to get the correct x-bracing done, although mine is a combo of factory bracing and work my son and grandson did per Paul's recommendations. It was the angled bracing from front of the bottom rails up to the main frame rails that made the most difference...I think Dick would have experienced the same. This work MUST be done! I suspect TS must have obtained Spartan's blessings on this design before they went under, although have never heard this one way or the other.

I had steering wheel correction issues and after fixing a camber problem with alignment, the problem went away. Also has a bell crack go out, which Spartan replaced. Tires will need replacement if they are 5 yrs. old...forget the mileage. You won't wear 'em out.

Pricing? Figure on doing a low retail deal with NO add-ons for extras and NO changes for mileage(unless it has a very high mileage number). I'm thinking it should be worth around $175-185k +/-. How about others?
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 06:30 PM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Is this what the X-bracing looks like?

2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote