Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Travel Supreme Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2012, 08:33 AM   #1

Considering TS Purchase - X Bracing Has Me Concerned

As the title says, I really like TS's but all the talk on X bracing has me worried. I really don't want to buy a new to me coach and have to take it to have X bracing installed. Should I move on to another make or is this truly a problem that affects MOST TS's or more of:

Forums only get the negative comments posted and the positive comments are not posted as vigorously?

Thanks for your reply !
bajarat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2012, 11:08 AM   #2

Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I think a lot depends on which model. I have the 38 Envoy with no bracing but I do have a windshield problem that I am hoping is just an installation of the windshield issue. Either way TS is a great coach in my limited experience
BandW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 01:21 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I recently bought a 2004 40’ TS and so far I couldn’t be happier. I began my search over a year ago and looked at a lot of different coaches, sometimes traveling across the country to check them out. TS was always high on my list, but finding one in good condition wasn’t easy so I also looked at everything in my budget. I knew about the windshield issue but wasn’t overly concerned as there are a ton of TS owners that aren’t aware of the potential problem, and the insurance companies don’t charge any more to insure them. I suppose that after writing this the God’s will frown on me and I’ll learn firsthand about it.
If you’re looking for my advice, I’d say do it. I’m still new to this, but after looking at several other brands I really believe there are a lot of things on a TS that put it in a higher class. Everybody talks about the big things – chassis, engine, quality construction – but it’s all the little things that you’d barely notice until you own one that gives you some insight into just how well thought out they are. That list would take pages to write!
At the end of the day you have to decide if the benefits outweigh the negatives. For me, the TS was worth waiting for. But take my advice with a grain of salt, I'm still in the honeymoon period of ownership :-).
GaryM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:50 PM   #4

We also looked for several years and found that TS had the best amenities for the buck. We bought a used 06 select and have been completely thrilled with it. Sure your going to have some issues but all MH do. It just comes with the territory. You won't be sorry going with a TS. Good luck in your search.
4x4crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:19 AM   #5

Nor'easters Club
The X-bracing (or lack of) does not appear to be an issue all rigs. My 38' does not have it and I do not have any windshield issues, even after driving through and parking on some pretty nasty campsites and once over an 8" curb. It is more common on the 40' and larger models with the K-2 chassis. However, I have read of others rigs with the problem so the potential for an issue is there.

With that said, I still would not throw in the towel on purchasing a good used TS. TS got into the motorhome business pretty late in the game (around 2000) and are not well known by most RVers. Since they are no longer in business many people will not even look at a used TS and because of this I believe are they are under-rated by the general public. I cannot even tell you how many times strangers (and campground staff) have come over to compliment my rig and then ask me who makes Travel Supreme, believing it is a model for some other manufacturer. I have looked at many different MOHO’s and have consistently found TS to be built better than most and on par what I considered the better manufacturers of the time (ie: Foretravel & Country Coach).

I believe you will still find some good deals on the TS lineup and I would just factor in the cost of the X-bracing into the price should you need it. Good luck with your search.

Lou
05 TS Envoy
sailor_lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:22 AM   #6

Nor'easters Club
Travel Supreme became part of Jayco in 2008-9(?) and the name changed to Entegra. The newer units are very similar to Travel Supreme units. Sure there are cosmetic changes, realigning of model lines, etc. but if you need parts they can supply them. The chassis is still being made and supported by Spartan. They are the best to work with, that I've seen. The chassis parts are mostly the same as over the road trucks so they will be available from many sources.

Would I purchase another Travel Supreme? Absolutely!
Old 06-04-2012, 05:35 PM   #7

The bracing is simple enough to do yourself if you're relatively mechanically inclined, I just put a blog post about when I did mine on our blog at RV Project One: Chassis Cross Bracing | Roaming Together - Insights into Travel, Simple Living, and Digital Nomadism .
roaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:14 AM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
In your blog, you mention that this cross-bracing is recommended for TS coaches older than 2007. My question is, would additional bracing be required or recommended on a 2007 45' TS Alante? Any other "gotchas" to look for on this 2007?

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:29 AM   #9

I believe that the factory started doing this bracing in 2007, can someone with a 2007 or later coach confirm?

J
Old 07-19-2012, 08:32 AM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
Actually, I may be "eyeballing" this coach Saturday. I'll check the basement area for X-bracing (although I'm not totally sure where all to look for the factory bracing - referring to all the additional bracing Bishop apparently put in.)

Rusty
Old 07-19-2012, 08:52 AM   #11

I bought a NEW 2007 AFTER the factory closed, it needed and did NOT have the X bracing. I do not think they did ANY X bracing until the very last coaches and they were actually titled as 2008s. The X bracing can be done and is not all that difficult, just leave some room on the price if it has not been done and plan to do it right away. That being said, we loved our 2007 Alante and it, even with the cost of the bracing, was by far the most bang for the buck anywhere in the market. They are great coaches and you will not be sorry. All just my opinion.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:03 AM   #12

Texas Boomers Club
I notice you're from Stillwater, so you'll probably appreciate this comment. If we spring for this coach, with Bishop no longer in business it sounds like it's time to find a pipeline welder, get out the chalk and make some sketches on the floor of his shop.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:53 AM   #13

Look in the center basement section (photo on my blog), then look underneath between the 2 support beams that run fore/aft for diagonal bracing between them. Look behind the generator for an X brace, and in front of the rear axle for another.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:03 AM   #14

Texas Boomers Club
Thanks, Jim. I believe I'm semi-educated on X-bracing now.

Rusty

Tags
purchase