Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Travel Supreme Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2011, 10:34 AM   #1

Convert Queen Bed to a King

I am looking at purchasing a 2004 TS 40Ds03. There is sufficient room between the walls of the bedroom slide to remove the two night stands and install a wider piece of plywood over the top of the existing plywood to install a king size bed. Has anyone out there tried this and if so pro's and con's of doing so and any difficulty they might have experienced. We really want a king bed and trying to find a TS in the 40' range with one is very hard and I especially like the TS coaches and the price point this puts me at. Thanks ahead of time for thoughts and opinions...
delcirose is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2011, 11:45 AM   #2
rf4

Winnebago Owners Club
are you looking for width or length? We needed length for our short queen. I placed a body pillow between the wall and the mattress, gives enough room for our pillow to lay and lengthens the bed about 6 inches. Covered the mattress with a reqular size queen 4" memory foam. Very comfy!!
rf4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 02:59 PM   #3

convert queen bed to a king

I am referring to modifying the queen platform into one wide enough to install the 72" necessary for a RV king. I know there is 76" wall to wall inside measurement. That I would need to remove the two night stands to do this. I just wondered if someone with a TS has beaten me to this and what kind of problems they experienced.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:10 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
We did that in our motorhome so we have the 72"x 80" in the bedroom slide that was originally a queen. We got a Comfort Air mattress with a memory foam topper. It's a great place to sleep! I think you will be happy with the king size mattress.

One thing you may want to look at is replacing the plywood rather than covering the existing plywood. With two pieces of plywood it may be too heavy to lift and stay up to access the under bed storage. If you do not have under bed storage then it might not make any difference.
Brigadoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 11:44 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Don't know why this won't work. When I ordered my coach, I had TS shorten a night stand and make the bed base 76 in. wide to fit a full king bed....72 wasn't enough for me. With a Tempurpedic-type mattress in there now I do have a tough time lifting this bed to reveal the storage compartment, but am planning on swapping out the gas struts for higher-rated units....someday!
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 08:57 PM   #6

Well it now has been completed. The RV king can fit easily. That would be one that is 72"X80. A standard king is 76X80. I managed to find a mattress from the American Furniture Store in the Denver area that measured out to be 74 inches wide. It is a knock off of the Temper pedic without the big price tag. I examined the original platform and found that it was a in house made item that used paneling on both sides of a 1" frame. This provides support with out making it too heavy. I installed 15/32 plywood directly over the existing platform to give added edge support for the wider mattress. Anyway it worked for me and we are happy. Getting the existing night stands out of there without trying to break them up was quite interesting. It took me a day of playing around with the first one to see how they put them together and installed them and then about 15 minutes to remove the other one after I figured out what was going on.
Old 08-21-2011, 10:53 AM   #7

Congratulations! Sounds like a great fix. we basically did the same in a 43ft. T.S. 5er and then had a mattress made to fit the space we had (about 71x77) as I recall. It was not expensive and only took about a week to get it through a local furniture store and it came from Serta.