RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Travel Supreme Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-29-2019, 12:20 PM   #1

Dual inverter installation diagram

Does anyone have a diagram for the installation of dual magnum 2800's in the Travel Supreme Select Limited?
My questions are:
1. Does each inverter get it's AC from a separate leg of the 240 AC? I would assume same for 50 amp Shore or 12.5kw Generator.
2. Does each inverter draw and charge a separate battery bank? I have 8 house batteries, I assume they are separated into two banks of 4.

Bonus question: Does the engine driven alternator charge just the chassis batteries? Is there any charge going to the house batteries, and if the house batteries are in two banks of 4, how is the charge distributed between the chassis and two house banks? The 600hp K3 chassis is supposed to have a 270 amp alternator, seems like a monster just for the chassis batteries.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Inverter installation.JPG
Views:	16
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	255104  

Cummins 600hp ISX15 Spartan K3 Chassis
Ron & Peri is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2019, 09:50 AM   #2

I believe "yes" is the answer to just about all your questions.

On my Select, the two banks are separate in virtually all ways, BUT they have some connection that serves to equalize them.

If you run the microwave while on battery only, you'll see in your Magnum gauges that one inverter is showing 240 amps or so and the volts have plunged. At the same time, the gauge for the other inverter will show a sag in volts but no real increase in amps.

You can turn off one charger and the other will keep both banks charged.

You have a BIRD, bi-directional isolator relay delay, that coordinates charging of all batteries.

If the Cummins is running, the BIRD gives priority to the chassis batts. If on shore power, priority to house batts. I think genny gets priority to house.

To verify the BIRD is working, keep in mind the last word of its name. It generally won't allow charging of both house & chassis right away when a charging source is fired up. It also won't keep charging house & chassis continuously, but will leave one alone for an hour or something if the need is great with the batteries that have priority.

Intellitec provided my BIRD, and has a nice description of its function with the owners manual.

The Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 12:25 PM   #3

Thanks!!!! Great info, I have read about the BIRD but you gave the best explanation yet!!! and Yes I have seen that each inverter seems to provide AC to different circuits but I didn't notice the amp draw and voltage drop like you described. Nice info!!! Thanks again!!!
Old 07-30-2019, 12:29 PM   #4

So when running the generator to power the AC's while driving the alternator is charging the chassis batteries and the generator is running the inverters in charge mode to the house batteries.... all is good
Old 07-30-2019, 01:02 PM   #5

If while using one inverter, the voltage of both battery banks show a drop, that indicates the 2 battery banks are wired together as one large battery bank.

Only the inverter powering the microwave would show amp draw because its the only one working.

One large battery bank is a better way to go. It being twice the size, it lessens the depth of discharge between re-charges.
You also spread the amp draw amount more batteries lowering whats called the Peuqert effect.

" As the rate of discharge increases, the battery's available capacity decreases, approximately according to Peukert's law. "

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peukert%27s_law
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 10:17 AM   #6

I found these two BIRD info sheets
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BIRD.pdf (88.9 KB, 9 views)
File Type: pdf Intellitec BIRD.pdf (105.0 KB, 7 views)
Old 08-04-2019, 08:23 PM   #7

BIRD

Now I looked in my basement and see that the BIRD is indeed there, but has been eliminated from the wiring. There is a relay with a small circuit board wired in to it... I will take pics next weekend.
Actually there are two relays, but I believe one is the 12v master relay or the Battery Boost relay.
I'm not sure if this provides the full functionality of the BIRD. Further investigation pending....

Also found a great thread here...
12 Volt Power Loss

Tags
install, inverter