Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Travel Supreme Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2016, 07:50 AM   #1

Duo-Therm Fan Motor

I have what I believe is the fan motor starting to go out in my front roof A/C. Yesterday all it did was hum (the compressor I'm assuming). When I pulled off the interior grate and stuck my hand up inside it was pretty hot. After shutting everything down for 15 mins, the unit restarted and is working just fine. But over the past few months I've heard the fan or motor screeching for 15 second periods, then going away for weeks.

I cannot find this fan replacement anywhere. The service manual indicates the Duo-Therm Part # 3109770.002. I cannot find any cross reference. The motor appears to be an AO Smith, which was bought out by Century. Century is saying no replacement exists.

Seems completely asinine to replace the full roof unit (that blows 49 degree air) degree because of a fan motor. Even though I'm sure that's what Dometic wants me to do. Anyone had luck in replacing a fan motor, or guidance?
LoggedOff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2016, 08:02 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoggedOff View Post
I have what I believe is the fan motor starting to go out in my front roof A/C. Yesterday all it did was hum (the compressor I'm assuming). When I pulled off the interior grate and stuck my hand up inside it was pretty hot. After shutting everything down for 15 mins, the unit restarted and is working just fine. But over the past few months I've heard the fan or motor screeching for 15 second periods, then going away for weeks.

I cannot find this fan replacement anywhere. The service manual indicates the Duo-Therm Part # 3109770.002. I cannot find any cross reference. The motor appears to be an AO Smith, which was bought out by Century. Century is saying no replacement exists.

Seems completely asinine to replace the full roof unit (that blows 49 degree air) degree because of a fan motor. Even though I'm sure that's what Dometic wants me to do. Anyone had luck in replacing a fan motor, or guidance?
I would take a look at the "Start Capacitors" first, do a search on here, and you find how to test them, or just replace them as they are not that expensive, and see if that fixes your start problem........
Old 10-08-2016, 08:39 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Palhorse 89 is correct. These motors do not go out that often. 90% of the time it is the start capacitor. I would suspect the capacitor way before the motor.
Old 10-08-2016, 10:34 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
I would take a look at the "Start Capacitors" first, do a search on here, and you find how to test them, or just replace them as they are not that expensive, and see if that fixes your start problem........
Yes... I am ordering new Fan Start and Compressor Start capacitors for all 3 units, as well as PTCR's. I've heard they are pretty prone to failing. And, given they are 11 years old and we full-time in this rig...it's only a matter of time. I talked to a tech at Supco and he told me their SPP6 capacitor is a lot stronger and will likely last longer. I'll do anything to avoid full unit replacement, because when these units work...they seriously get the job done well.

Reason I believe it to be a fan motor, is the squealing situation that arises. It's gotten to be more frequent. Did it off and on throughout the day (in 30-60 second episodes) about 2 weeks ago and hasn't since.

One question...am I correct in assuming that the Fan Start capacitor triggers the compressor start capacitor? In other words, it has to release the energy to the compressor? Trying to figure out why things got so hot and what the humming was I heard.
Old 10-08-2016, 10:46 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Yes... I am ordering new Fan Start and Compressor Start capacitors for all 3 units, as well as PTCR's. I've heard they are pretty prone to failing. And, given they are 11 years old and we full-time in this rig...it's only a matter of time. I talked to a tech at Supco and he told me their SPP6 capacitor is a lot stronger and will likely last longer. I'll do anything to avoid full unit replacement, because when these units work...they seriously get the job done well.

Reason I believe it to be a fan motor, is the squealing situation that arises. It's gotten to be more frequent. Did it off and on throughout the day (in 30-60 second episodes) about 2 weeks ago and hasn't since.

One question...am I correct in assuming that the Fan Start capacitor triggers the compressor start capacitor? In other words, it has to release the energy to the compressor? Trying to figure out why things got so hot and what the humming was I heard.
The capacitor's store energy for motor starting, cutting back on the amp in rush to the wiring and the breaker's...........if they are failing, wiring and motor's, breakers are maxed out........then something in the system will fail and quit. The electronics's in the system, tell the motor's when to start and shut off..........
http://www.capacitorformotor.com/ac_capacitor.html
Old 10-08-2016, 03:11 PM   #6

Nor'easters Club
Definitely replace the caps and PTCR's for the starting issues. Regarding the "screeching" noise, a light oil or spray lubricant on the motor shaft at the bearings ends will work its way in to lubricate the bushings.
sailor_lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 04:23 AM   #7

Thanks... Going to try these things and will update.
Old 07-24-2017, 05:39 PM   #8

**Sorry for relighting this thread, but it never got an update, and now the motor has completely froze up.**

Upon digging into this unit, I found the motor to be froze up and no longer spinning. Found a tag on it, motor built by A.O. Smith as part # 48P80A61. It appears that AO Smith sold their electric motor division to Century Electric who still assembles many of the models. Upon reaching out to Century about a cross-reference, they told me it's a Dometic proprietary part that they do build, but I must talk to Dometic about as legally they cannot. Great customer service. The old Duo-Therm manual lists the part # as 3109770.002. I've searched tons of part sites and it's out of stock every where I go (except for an eBay listing from the Phillipines!)

Has anyone ever had to replace one of these before, and where did you get the part? My past dealings with Dometic always turn into "You Need a new A/C unit". And both times I fixed problems for less than $25. I will rig up a hamster in a wheel before I pay them for a new unit that just needs a fan motor and some fresh capacitors. Looking for some advice...
Old 07-24-2017, 05:51 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I replaced the fan motor on my 2002 Windsor ~3 years ago. The unit started to sporadically kick out and had a noticeable harmonic type sound. I changed the start capacitor but it didn't help.

Bit the bullet and pulled the motor/fan assembly off. The motor was not froze up but very hard to turn. The construction does not allow for bearing replacement.

Here is a site that has info on replacement parts for Dometic products.

https://www.edometic.com/allusr/sp.nsf/spcac?ReadForm

If you have the Model & SN of your unit it may be easier to find a replacement motor.

I got a part number and started doing some searching. I know I found one on Ebay but ended up buying one from Adventure RV. It was an open box sale, I paid ~$110 for the motor.

Replacing wasn't bad. While I had the top apart I peeled back the top sheetmetal so I could clean the unit thoroughly. I used compressed air and blew opposite direction of airflow.

Unit has worked great since replacing the motor, much quieter and pulls less amps.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 06:14 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
I replaced the fan motor on my 2002 Windsor ~3 years ago. The unit started to sporadically kick out and had a noticeable harmonic type sound. I changed the start capacitor but it didn't help.

Bit the bullet and pulled the motor/fan assembly off. The motor was not froze up but very hard to turn. The construction does not allow for bearing replacement.
You pretty much described this situation to a tee... Exactly how it started and got worse over the past year with the noise and all.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:08 AM   #11

Quote:
You pretty much described this situation to a tee... Exactly how it started and got worse over the past year with the noise and all.
Dometic Blower Motor

https://www.amazon.com/Century-Elect.../dp/B000BL6L7Y

Dometic A/C 1/5 HP AO Smith Fan Motor - Air Conditioner Parts - Air Conditioners - RV Appliances

https://www.google.com/search?q=+par....0._xrXGDBfHq0

These are what I found does this help?

Just trying to do a search but as I do not have the issue "YET" i really know very little.

Best of Luck, hope this helps,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fan