Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Travel Supreme Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2018, 08:38 PM   #1

Spartan Chassis
Exhaust Fumes/smell

2006 TS DS04 on first long trip for a while. Drove first uneventful 500 miles, got up next morning, fueled up & headed east towards Vail, Co. on I-40. Wife & I both start smelling exhaust. I had turned on dash heat. Checked out everything I could think of, finally cracked a window in rear of coach, got back on the road. It did help some. Any ideas? I did think of the 60 gallons I just topped off with, maybe winter additive?
Cummins ISL 400 hp
Thanks again for any ideas,
Craig & Janelle
In Denver, waiting for the snow to blow over.
BTW, That little 12000' 'hill' out of Vail had me puckering for a bit, The TS pulled my full size GMC all the way up without a wimper! Yep, ran fine
ceeja is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2018, 08:42 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
You mention that you just 'fueled up'. Were you smelling diesel? If they were exhaust fumes that's dangerous stuff getting into the passenger compartment, somehow. The 'exhaust fumes' which you smelled are probably unburnt hydrocarbons, but along with that is likely odorless, undetectable and deadly Carbon Monoxide!

Have you checked to be sure the engine access hatch is secure? There may be more than one in the rear bedroom or closet area check hatch seals also. There could also be a floor opening from anywhere underneath, or perhaps the slide seals or windows.
Old 10-10-2018, 03:08 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpasetto View Post
You mention that you just 'fueled up'. Were you smelling diesel? If they were exhaust fumes that's dangerous stuff getting into the passenger compartment, somehow. The 'exhaust fumes' which you smelled are probably unburnt hydrocarbons, but along with that is likely odorless, undetectable and deadly Carbon Monoxide!

Have you checked to be sure the engine access hatch is secure? There may be more than one in the rear bedroom or closet area check hatch seals also. There could also be a floor opening from anywhere underneath, or perhaps the slide seals or windows.
Hatch would be where i'd focus my search - really not any other spot, unless you are smelling the fuel that you might have gotten on your feet when fueling up.

Along with the Muffler if it were to Leak.

Let us know what you find.

Best of Luck,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 03:26 PM   #4

Spartan Chassis
Ok, finally able to look at it good. It's an oil leak-so bad it doesn't show on stick. Not to low to hurt, have 60+ # oil pressure. Still looking for line. Yess, hatch closed tight, but somehow all that oil being blown all over motor got fumes into coach. Oil all over from side radiator fan continuing all over that side of engine....Thanks for replys so far...more welcome . Mobil mechanic headed to get a dye kit....

Craig
Old 10-10-2018, 03:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceeja View Post
Ok, finally able to look at it good. It's an oil leak-so bad it doesn't show on stick. Not to low to hurt, have 60+ # oil pressure. Still looking for line. Yess, hatch closed tight, but somehow all that oil being blown all over motor got fumes into coach. Oil all over from side radiator fan continuing all over that side of engine....Thanks for replys so far...more welcome . Mobil mechanic headed to get a dye kit....

Craig
Sounds like the Turbo line, it sits high and could spray over that side of the engine - Who did you call - Luke with Golden Mobile service?

Be sure to get some good cleaner for the radiator - spray it before you take it to the pressure washer, then spray it again - let the engine cool - don't want to crack anything.

You should have seen the Oil all over your Toad.

Iv'e had both the turbo line and the Dip stick tube/line leak - saw it on the Toad so it was short lived each time.

Keep us in the loop.
Old 10-10-2018, 03:47 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Generator running?
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 03:56 PM   #7

Spartan Chassis
Yes, after the snow & rain dissipated, I saw all the oil on toad. Very little oil in/on radiator, fan shows signs of oil on it. I'm trying to follow turbo line, not seeing much there, but still thinking that area....Thanks for replies, I'll keep in touch
Craig
Old 10-10-2018, 03:58 PM   #8

Spartan Chassis
BTW, I had to cal Mile High Mobile, jury still out on my satisfaction with them.....
Old 10-10-2018, 04:09 PM   #9

Quote:
BTW, I had to cal Mile High Mobile, jury still out on my satisfaction with them.....
Luke
Phone number (720) 415-9802
Golden Mobile RV and Diesel Service.

They have taken care of me before, did a great job.

Bill
Old 10-11-2018, 07:41 AM   #10

Quote:
Yes, after the snow & rain dissipated, I saw all the oil on toad. Very little oil in/on radiator, fan shows signs of oil on it. I'm trying to follow turbo line, not seeing much there, but still thinking that area....Thanks for replies, I'll keep in touch
Craig
Were you able to locate the Leak and get back on the Road?

Just checking back in.

Busskipper
Old 10-11-2018, 09:52 AM   #11

Spartan Chassis
Still searching for the line. Cummins has it listed as a 'water tube'. It's the top braided line into turbo. May have to have overnighted delivery from Cummins now.....not a happy camper, but thanks for replies & concerns!
Craig
Old 10-11-2018, 10:03 AM   #12

Quote:
Still searching for the line. Cummins has it listed as a 'water tube'. It's the top braided line into turbo. May have to have overnighted delivery from Cummins now.....not a happy camper, but thanks for replies & concerns!
Craig
Do a quick search for a hydraulic line maker in town - normally those guys can Make anything, including an oil line, and do it in an Hour or less.

Cummins in Denver is a Joke - JMHO - Got an estimate from them for a Shifting issue - $10,000 - I pulled it - ECU - and got it done for less than $500.

Sorry but they will never get another call from Me - where are you now?
I can look and see if I know of anything out there - Let me know as I feel your Pain.

Bill
Old 10-11-2018, 10:06 AM   #13

https://www.maxaircolorado.com/servi...brication.html

https://www.google.com/search?q=hydr...iw=985&bih=460

See if this helps
Old 10-11-2018, 07:58 PM   #14

Spartan Chassis
Thanks Busskeeper, Once we got the oil line ID'd, we went ahead & had all of them overnighted to us in Golden, Co. fairgrounds. Should be here midday, installed by evening, & off to our next destination. Hopefully find a good degreaser for coach engine compartment & something for the toad which looks like I dunked it into a vat of used motor oil. It even smells like burning oil when we drive it a couple of miles. Soaked complete outside & undercarriage......all will be good, lesson learned.
Thanks so much for info!
Craig

Tags
exhaust, smell