Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Travel Supreme Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2013, 11:09 AM   #1

Fiberglass

I'm considering getting a 2006 TS. In looking at the threads, there has been a singe mention of paint cracking related to the fiberglas panels (called thermal cracking on other Forums that is a Dow Corning issue to affects all mfgs). To put tings in perspective, I looked at two 2005 country coaches and both had cracks throughout the paint (looks like threads up to an inch long) with the worst being in the dark colors. Now for the question. Anyone having paint issues that sounds like the above description and what year rig?

Along a related topic, anyone have any idea on whether the clear coat lifting is a rare or common issue?

Thanks
dupedtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2013, 11:53 AM   #2

The clear coat lifting on the top of the front and rear caps is common in TS's including mine.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:01 PM   #3

My 06 TSS has the paint checking all over. When I bought the coach, which I love, I figured I would just have it sanded and re-clear coated all over. After my purchase I found out that the problem was much worse than clear coat. Mine has 1/4 to 3/4 inch cracks all over and much worse in the black.
If someone has a cure other than replacing the sides....I'm waiting to hear it.
Sherman Williams says they have a flex primer and paint that won't crack like that but that's a mighty big gamble if it comes back like others have implied.
Jdaniel2509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 02:09 PM   #4

Mine
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	264.4 KB
ID:	48354  
Old 10-22-2013, 05:25 PM   #5

Trying to get a handle on HOW LONG it takes before it starts to appear. We've heard that it shows up within a year and can take up to 5 years. How long did yours take? Trying to get a handle on the likelihood that if it has not appeared after 5 yrs, it isn't likely to happen. Any of you 2005 and 2006 owners that have rigs that have spent a lot of time uncovered (especially in the sunny SW) and are you crack free?

Hate to see that but it certainly appears to be thermal cracking. The best info that we've come across as to the cause is that Dow Corning did not cure the fiberglass properly in random batches from 2004 to 2008. Several mfgs apparently won a lawsuit against Dow Corning.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:10 PM   #6

potential correction. It is not a cure issue but more likely a result of the EPA imposing a change that forced DOW to modify their process with these unintended consequences. Considering Uncle Sam's track record, that sounds he most plausible.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:31 PM   #7

I would also like to know....are there any TSS the same year as mine that have had no issues so far? Is it just random? Is there any chance the paint process had anything at all to do with it? Just hoping here..
Old 10-23-2013, 02:01 PM   #8

Spartan Chassis
My '04 TS lived the first 8 years of its life outside in Bakersfield. I do have clear coat lifting on the end caps but sidewalls are still in good shape with no visible checking or cracking.
2023 F-150 Towed
rag_ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 02:15 PM   #9

Nor'easters Club
My TS spent 4 years of it's life in the SE (Raleigh, NC) and the rest of the time in CT. I have no cracking and clear is fine, but the colors are not too dark (mostly silver and gray with a few maroon stripes) if that makes any difference.

Lou
05 TS Envoy 38DS04
sailor_lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 02:21 PM   #10

I've got a 07 Envoy that I bought new in Dec. of 2006. It is always outside, including 4 months in Phoenix every winter. It is now in a body shop having the front and rear caps clear coat redone, along with the top side edges. The lifting first appeared earlier this summer. The rest of the paint is in good condition. It's just the area where the roof and sidewall and front and rear cap meet where the clear coat is lifting. The affected color is black.
Old 10-23-2013, 03:50 PM   #11

Just a note here...the clear coat lifting off the tops of the front and rear caps is not related the the "paint checking or thermal cracking" on the sides. If your sides are still good, chances are you don't have the bad batch of Fiberglas. Clear coat flakes off the top of anything that's painted. It's harder to get the area prepped as well ( or you assume no one will ever see it) and it will be the first to let go.
I'd still like to know how some 06s supposedly have the Fiberglas issue and some don't. Were they not using the same products to build with at the same time. Hard to believe they were getting Fiberglas from two different suppliers. Also hard to believe the supplier was shipping two different kinds of sidewalls at the same point in time.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:28 PM   #12

last year my Rv started in on e year 75% or more from roof to floor to front to back has it but the caps

when it comes it can come really fast

i know it well not stop but i am going to just sand and paint over every 3 to 4 years i think i well have to keep doing it tell it stops
terry735001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:28 PM   #13

Cracking

My 06 started 2 years ago on one side only. We spend the winters in Arizona. The rig has had about equal sun on all sides because we moved a lot.

Have had 3 different paint shops look at it.

Two said that it could be sanded down and repainted.
One felt the new flexible paint would work. The other wanted to use 3 coats of Epoxy primer and then repaint it.

The third one said that replacing the fiberglass was the only fix.

The two repaint options leave lots of questions. Has anyone done the wall replacement and how did it work out?
Ohioskp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:42 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
My 2005 WB had the clearcoat lift along the top of the front cap. Some careful sanding and about 5 shaker cans of clearcoat took care of the problem. Rest of paint is still wonderful -- is not garaged but is under ADCO cover about 6 months a year (Colorado is home camp). Unfortunately, all four WINNEBAGO decals are toast -- faded and cracked to itsy-bitsy pieces. Started "erasing" them this summer and decided it would take too many beers (too much work). Mebbe someday I will try again. \ken
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote