Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Travel Supreme Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2012, 12:07 PM   #1

Hendrickson Torque Box

I purchased a 08 42' with tag axle and only 28K, this spring. I noticed that when the air bags were dumped the figerglass fender on the passenger side would touch the outside of the dual rear tire. There was plenty room on the driver side. It looked like the axle had shifted to the passenger side or the body of the coach had shifted to the driver side. Inspection found that the bushings were pulling out of the torque box. Changing the torque box helped some, but now when the air bags are dumped the fender is almost touching the rear tire on passenger side again. Has anyone had this problem? I have not found anyone that has had this problem and most do not know what the torque box is. Info would be great.
trophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2012, 02:51 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
What kind of chassis do you have and have you contacted them with this problem? 2008 is really new with low miles to be having this kind of problem. most chassis today are 500,000 mile rides like yours but problems pop up.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:17 AM   #3

The books I got with the coach are limited. I think it is a Mountain Master Chassis, do you know how I can find chassis type. Thanks
Old 10-08-2012, 11:00 AM   #4

The last six digits of the Vin# are suppose to identiy the chassis. I have a call into Spatain to obtain this information. thanks
Old 10-08-2012, 05:34 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
What kind of coach is it? My factory number plate is right behind the drivers seat down twards the floor. All the model numbers and serial numbers and all the info. is on this factory sticker if you can locate it.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:38 AM   #6

I have a 08 Travel Supreme Insignia on a Spatain Chassis. The information stickers inside the coach, like you stated, does not have type of chassis. I think that I have a Spartian Mt./Master with a HTB 210 Hendrickson Supession System. I am waiting on a call from Spartain with the correct information on the chassis. thanks
Old 10-09-2012, 06:29 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Trophy, I am still watching this thread so let me know what you find out. I enjoy learning, I am just sorry you have this kind of trouble with your coach! thanks
Old 10-10-2012, 07:55 AM   #8

I have talked to Spartan and Hendrickson has been contacted by the company that changed the torque box. The chassis is as described above and I will post what the outcome is. thanks
Old 10-11-2012, 08:43 AM   #9

Per Spartan, I checked the lateral alignmenet of the torque box and sent measurements to them. He suggested that I have the measurements checked by a another source that has a pitt where it might be easier to measure.

My next sept will be to bring the unit back to the company that changed torque box. thanks
Old 12-10-2012, 08:55 AM   #10

Update, Dec. 7th brought m/h back and had the torque box checked. When installed in Oct. the torque box was within 1/8" which is within tolerance. How it is within 1/2" tolerance, which is not good. It has shifter over to the right again. The coach alignement was checked front and rear wheels, pictures taken, and measurements were sent to Hendrickson. Now we wait to see what Hendrickson will do!
Old 01-28-2013, 04:44 AM   #11

Well, Hendrickson sent another troque box and this one has the rubber bushings bonded or glued.
Lafayette Spring CO. In Lafayette,LA did the work. This time they also changed the bushings in the troque rods. The tire clerance is the same on both sides of the drive axle. This fix looks like it may have taken care of the problem. Hendrickson and Lafayette Spring has stood behind there work and I hope this will end the troque box problem!
Old 01-29-2013, 03:37 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Glad you problem has been taken care of . Thanks for the follow up. Safe travels