RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Travel Supreme Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-11-2019, 05:48 PM   #1

Spartan Chassis
Hot Water Heater

Well.. It's my turn in the tub! Workshop came out today to look after the hot water heater... Well the news isn't good... I apparently have a long term leak at a fitting on the back of the heater.... That caused the floor to ROT! Not good.. Will be a big repair. The tanks have to come out and the floor repair to be replaced with aluminum.. Never rot again...
I called a claim into my insurance company to see if it's covered.. I am guessing a 5K repair!
I had no idea what was happening.. Just what I needed!
Just an FYI..
Really don't know how I could have prevented it.. Never really showed any signs of a leak...
Not a good ending to our winter vacation...
Ron at Lake Havasu....

04 Travel Supreme 40DS04 400 Cummins ISL
rhusak is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2019, 05:56 PM   #2

Why would you need to heat hot water??

tfryman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 06:14 PM   #3

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfryman View Post
Just what I needed.. A bit of humor in it all!!!!!
Old 03-11-2019, 10:13 PM   #4

I have learned over the years to inspect the hot water heater often,especially after they get 7 to 10 years old.... they are NOT COATED on the inside like a home hot water heater (glass lined) but are a simple tank.... and as the water sits in the bottom it collects sediment out of the water and will rust out... thus small pin holes..

On my neighbors unit... we found it because the water pump would keep cycling and not shut down... his had 6-8 tiny pin holes in the tank, each leaking a drop or two all the time.... thus the pump wouldn't shut down....
Old 03-12-2019, 12:04 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelag View Post
I have learned over the years to inspect the hot water heater often,especially after they get 7 to 10 years old.... they are NOT COATED on the inside like a home hot water heater (glass lined) but are a simple tank.... and as the water sits in the bottom it collects sediment out of the water and will rust out... thus small pin holes..

On my neighbors unit... we found it because the water pump would keep cycling and not shut down... his had 6-8 tiny pin holes in the tank, each leaking a drop or two all the time.... thus the pump wouldn't shut down....

Suburban water heaters ARE glass lined just like residential units.
Use an anode rod for protection

Atwood water heaters are Aluminum with a rolled cladding on interior

Course ....lack of routine draining/flushing will affect how well either tank will hold up.

OP........
On your RV do you access to backside of water heater?
Most line fittings are just hand tightened by factory 'installers'.

And with 'piece work' the norm...they do NOT tighten fittings any more then 'snug'
As with all electrical connections......owners should check/tighten plumbing fittings at least yearly.
Same with roof top A/C Units....the 4 hold down bolts should be checked.
They should just be SNUG...can vibrate loose from traveling

Water is a KILLER for RVs
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 03:30 PM   #6

Sorry to hear of your water heater issues. Not sure if it is of value, however perhaps worth mentioning. I opted to change out my conventional water heater for an LP demand water heater. It is a Precision Temp unit which I am quite happy with. We had been running out of hot water previously and now have an endless supply - but only if you are connected to water and sewer! The price was $850 usd and I installed it mysef. Fit right in the hole.
learn2coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 04:53 PM   #7

Spartan Chassis
Hi All..
I am a happy camper...
Safeco.. My insurance carrier has elected to take care of the repairs to the coach!!!! They won't pay for the new heater (It still worked but was very rusty) but will pay for all consequential damage less my deductible.. The floor will be replaced with aluminium as opposed to the wood that was there... Should last forever...
To answer a OP question... No it is not accessible from the rear.. But we are thinking only the fresh water tank will have to come out... The grey and black tanks are supported separately..
There is a Phaeton in there now that had all his tanks drop out the bottom onto the road!!!!! His shower flange had been leaking and rotted his floor completely out... His insurance carrier said so sorry that is caused by poor maintenance... Large bill.. Over 5K.. He is not a happy camper...
So at least this has ended up being a fairly stressful event but will work out well.. Safeco has my vote.. All over a cracked PEX fitting..
Ron Husak
Old 04-12-2019, 07:41 PM   #8

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhusak View Post
Hi All..
I am a happy camper...
Safeco.. My insurance carrier has elected to take care of the repairs to the coach!!!! They won't pay for the new heater (It still worked but was very rusty) but will pay for all consequential damage less my deductible.. The floor will be replaced with aluminium as opposed to the wood that was there... Should last forever...
To answer a OP question... No it is not accessible from the rear.. But we are thinking only the fresh water tank will have to come out... The grey and black tanks are supported separately..
There is a Phaeton in there now that had all his tanks drop out the bottom onto the road!!!!! His shower flange had been leaking and rotted his floor completely out... His insurance carrier said so sorry that is caused by poor maintenance... Large bill.. Over 5K.. He is not a happy camper...
So at least this has ended up being a fairly stressful event but will work out well.. Safeco has my vote.. All over a cracked PEX fitting..
Ron Husak
Hi all..
I said I would write when the repair was complete.. Well it almost is... The floor was replaced with 1/4 inch 3060 Aluminium... Tough stuff.. You should see them having to cut out openings and drill out holes for drains etc.
They replace it with 2 2 foot X 4 X 8 Foot pieces That way they can get it in with no hassle.. Also the center seam will allow any leak etc. to drain... The welded square tubing to support the edges and the center... All in all pretty stout. Then the put a material on the floor that is like aluminized bubble wrap.. Looks neat and tidy and should do a good job of insulating...
Picking it back up tomorrow..
I am having a major service done as well.. The did a bumper to bumper inspection and found the rear brakes worn out! Virtually down to the rivets.. I was shocked... Now the coach has 88K on it but thought they would last longer... Oh Well new shoes and drums (Cracked)... All new filters.. Trans Synth change and flush... all of it.. It's never laid down for me before and don't want it to start now.. Oh Yeah.. New house batteries as well.. He is an Interstate dealer and gave me a good price on 4 6 Volt golf cart batteries.. Even threw in a battery water filler system to boot... Gonna be expensive but needed..
We visited a friend at the Park we were supposed to be in who has a 15 Cornerstone (Stunning Coach) people stop and stare he is meticulous with it... And they both decided that I need to install the summit stainless armour trim along the bottom... She was really impressed with how it looked and I was going to have to have the lower paint sprayed in to cover some scratches etc. So the bite won't be that much more..
Like I said is going to be a very expensive trip!
Ron
Old 04-13-2019, 12:09 PM   #9

Nor'easters Club
Hi Ron,

Sorry to hear about all the work that is required, but I believe you are like me and plan on keeping the rig for awhile so you may as well get it repaired correctly now. Glad to hear the insurance stepped up and good luck with the remaining work.
sailor_lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 08:30 PM   #10

Sorry to hear Ron ... sounds like you're back on the road ....

seems like these kinds of issues happen at the worst time .... but so it goes eh ???

Our Blog
hal1phx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 09:00 PM   #11

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by hal1phx View Post
Sorry to hear Ron ... sounds like you're back on the road ....

seems like these kinds of issues happen at the worst time .... but so it goes eh ???
Yeah.. But it's all done and had lots of Maintenance stuff done so good to go...
They did a good job and I am satisfied.. Plus the insurance picked up the tab for the floor repair..
We are leaving Havasu on Friday and o to cottonwood AZ..
Ron
Old 04-18-2019, 03:48 PM   #12

Water heater noise

My water heater has moaning sound when running the hot water tap. Any ideas what might be causing it?
damon2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 04:46 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by damon2000 View Post
My water heater has moaning sound when running the hot water tap. Any ideas what might be causing it?

Hot Out check valve is making that noise
It is clogging up with calcium/crud and will eventually fail...NO hot water

It is inside the nipple that screws into Hot Out (top) and hot water line screws onto that nipple

RV Mfgs install cheap check valves vs using a shutoff valve....less expensive and lower labor cost
It is used to stop backflow into water heater tank when using 'bypass' for winterizing.
Old 04-20-2019, 12:23 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfryman View Post

To make it hotter.

Water temp drops to 110*F then t-stat closes to reheat it
110*F is Hot water by definition so Hot Water Heater does just take....heats hot water hotter

Tags
heat, heater, water, water heater