Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Travel Supreme Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-16-2010, 02:09 PM   #1

How to install rear view camera on a travel supreme 5th wheel

I would like to install a wired camera system on my 2004 Travel Supreme,model 36RLTSOA. The more I look at at the rv the more it scares me to death to attempt it myself. I've considered clamping the camera to the metal railing on the roof or attaching it to the hitch installed on the underside of the RV, but I'm stumped on how to neatly run the caable to the enclosed underside then to the tow vehicle. Has anyone installed one and would you share with me how you did it? I've been looking at the Voyager systems sold by Camping World, one has the rear camera and the other has the rear camera plus the side camera's. The side camera's leads to my next question of where would you mount the side cameras on a fifth wheel?

Denway3299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2010, 01:34 PM   #2
Commercial Member

I represent ASA Electronics, the producer of the JENSEN brand of televisions, stereos, and speakers and the Voyager brand of observation monitors and cameras. At ASA, we strive to provide excellent customer service and product satisfaction and would like to offer some assistance in this matter.

Our Voyager observation cameras should be mounted on the rear wall of the coach, near the roof-line. This will provide the best viewing angle. With regards to installing the camera cable, this can be run on the underside of the coach through an existing conduit or tied up to the frame with strong zip-ties with the cable inside wire loom.

Side-body cameras are most commonly installed on the tow-vehicle. For installation on a fifth-wheel, in order to maximize coverage I would install the cameras as far forward on the fifth-wheel as possible so that there is still a flat surface of the fifth-wheel in the cameras field-of-view. If the surface is curved and the camera is placed in front of the curve, this will create a blind-spot. You should try to maintain a view of the rear at the roof line. It would be best if you can connect the monitor in the cab and run the camera out the door so you can try placing them in different locations prior to installing them. This will allow you to find the best mounting location for your desired results.

If you are not comfortable with the installation process of the observation system, we highly recommend the use of a professional installer. Your local RV dealer can be a great resource for this type of work.

Please let me know if you need any further assistance.

Old 03-18-2010, 05:36 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
check out amazon for wireless cameras
Old 03-18-2010, 09:51 PM   #4

I hate to disagree with a professional, BUT it is obivious he has no knowledge of a Travel Supreme. With the enclosed underbelly you can not use zip ties to hold the cable or thread a conduit through. You can, however, use cable clamps and self tapping screws to hold the cable to the underbelly. I did this on my Travel Supreme 5er and it worked well. You can also use the same clamps to go down the top of the roof, into the front closet, down through the hitch with a connection there to the tow vehicle. The latter is probably preferable to going underneath but it does require a hole in the roof to get into the closed that can be filled with putty, some folks just have an aversion to putting a hole in a perfectly good roof. lol. Either way will work and it is not a tough job, just takes a little time. Good luck, Gene
Ann n Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 09:33 AM   #5

Thanks to the Jensen & Voyager Tech Support Team, Ernie and Gene for your suggestions. I've visited the Jensenrvdirect.com website because, at this time I'm most interested in the Voyager system. My main objective is to be able to see where the rv tires are going when I'm backing into a campsite from the blind side. Since the rv is 100" wide the view of what track the rv is taking is not known for what seems like an uncomfortably long time. I am concerned having only a rear camera will not afford me a good feel for where the wheels actually are tracking. My idea is to attach the rear camera to a bracket then to the railing system which runs around the back of the flat part of the roof. Because the rear cap has a gradual bend from the roof to the vertical portion of the rear cap I will not be able to see straight down to the ground. If I thought I could see enough of the pad to tell if the rv was on the right trajectory I wouldn't bother with side cameras. Since I'm primarily interested in where the wheels are tracking I planed to mount the side cameras low on the flat surface about where the retracting legs are located to afford me a view of the rear wheels. I don't want to install side cameras if i don't need them. I think I'll run the cable underneath like Gene suggested. I liked Ernie's idea too. I get the impression from other posts I've read that a wireless system may not work because of the length from the back to the tow vehicle, which would be quite a distance. I'm primarily interested in watching the monitor when I'm backing into a campsite from the blindside or making two blind side manuevers when I park at home.

Wayne
Old 03-19-2010, 03:06 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
I believe you can order an antenna and perhaps a booster for the wireless setup.
Old 03-21-2010, 04:55 AM   #7

Ernie, In case you couldn't tell, I'm technically challenged when it comes to cameras. My rv license plate is like some automotive bumper type. That is the license plate is reset low in the bumper-like protrusion in the rear cap. If I install it that low what would you guess I would see in my monitor. If I would see the road and especially the edge of the road, the parking pad and maybe a person behind me then I would be satisfied. I don't need to see above the r.v. because I've fortunately not run into anything that high as of yet. I can imagine there are limitations as to what you see I just don't know what they are. So from the rear of my rv to my drivers seat is about 45feet. What is a booster and where would I mount it? Where should I mount the antenna. I'm guessing I would need sometype of additional cable. Any suggestions?
Thanks

Wayne