Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Travel Supreme Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-12-2018, 10:28 AM   #1

Is our paint still “checking”

My 06 TSS is one of the coaches with the bad siding that causes the paint checking or cracking. The fiberglass gives off gases under the paint is what I’ve read and I’ve read a lot. My question is after 12 years are the fiberglass sides STILL giving off gases?? At some point it seems like they would cure and we could sand, prime and paint the sides without fear of re cracking. I’m curious if anything has changed
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2018, 10:30 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdaniel2509 View Post
My 06 TSS is one of the coaches with the bad siding that causes the paint checking or cracking. The fiberglass gives off gases under the paint is what I’ve read and I’ve read a lot. My question is after 12 years are the fiberglass sides STILL giving off gases?? At some point it seems like they would cure and we could sand, prime and paint the sides without fear of re cracking. I’m curious if anything has changed

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 06:00 PM   #3

Spartan Chassis
Mine is still "curing" and developing new checking!
2023 F-150 Towed
rag_ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 08:24 PM   #4

Mine is still checking as well which is so frustrating. It is only doing it on the grey which is what everyone else said it would do on the darker colors. It is only doing it in the rear & the drivers side of the coach which I’m wondering if it primarily due to the heat coming from the engine compartment. Although it also has done this on the top portion of the front cap. I just hope that at some point soon that it won’t get any worse but I’m not too convinced.
Bodean56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 09:15 AM   #5

Mine continues to check badly also. Back of the coach being the worst, but other places as well.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:47 AM   #6

That’s just bizarre to me that a piece of fiberglass never cures out. So we are saying it will give off gasses forever? I have certainly reached the point with an 06 that the panel replacement and paint is no longer a wise investment. I’ll just have to live with it cause I love the coach. And couldn’t sell anyway with the paint all cracked up
Old 12-14-2018, 06:24 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by becks View Post
Mine continues to check badly also. Back of the coach being the worst, but other places as well.
When the front and rear caps peel or flake off, that’s not difficult to repair. That is the clear coat coming off. Both caps are made out of a different material and they won’t paint check
Old 12-15-2018, 11:42 PM   #8

I have an 06 TS Select. The clear coat is checking, worst on the black, not as bad on the dark grey and very little on the light grey. I first noticed it 2 or 3 years ago and it continues to worsen each year. The fact that it is so obviously related to the darkness of the paint tells me that it has nothing to do with gases from the fiberglass but rather the higher temperatures associated with the darker colors.
I had a painter tell me that it is the paint that is cracked under the clear coat, but I don't buy that
I have a painter coming on Tuesday to mask, sand and clear coat a small area as an experiment, although that still won't tell me the long term results.
royellithorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 10:56 AM   #9

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by royellithorp View Post
...The fact that it is so obviously related to the darkness of the paint tells me that it has nothing to do with gases from the fiberglass but rather the higher temperatures associated with the darker colors.
The higher temps created by the dark colors accelerate the curing and off gassing of the fiberglass making the checking more prevalent in the dark areas.

You can sand and repaint and it will last a few years before the checking will reappear. I believe the only permanent fix is to replace the entire side wall.$$$$ I'm with you, I really like the coach and plan on keeping mine.
2023 F-150 Towed
rag_ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 06:52 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by royellithorp View Post
I have an 06 TS Select. The clear coat is checking, worst on the black, not as bad on the dark grey and very little on the light grey. I first noticed it 2 or 3 years ago and it continues to worsen each year. The fact that it is so obviously related to the darkness of the paint tells me that it has nothing to do with gases from the fiberglass but rather the higher temperatures associated with the darker colors.
I had a painter tell me that it is the paint that is cracked under the clear coat, but I don't buy that
I have a painter coming on Tuesday to mask, sand and clear coat a small area as an experiment, although that still won't tell me the long term results.
Previous owner had done mine before I bought it. Sanded and reclear coated. Looked good but the cracks on the darker colors started back pretty quickly. Mine is also most black with champagne strioes.. it’s mainly in the black
Old 12-17-2018, 07:25 AM   #11

This topic has been repeatedly discussed - the conclusion is "Live with it" as the cost to remove and replace is prohibitive and all other attempts will only be temporary - very temporary

Three years ago I completely Compounded mine and sealed it and it was a "Good" finish for 6-8 feet but the Checks all came back and even continued to grow in density and locations.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f274/pain...ng-295003.html

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/pain...es-338233.html

https://www.google.com/search?q=pain...w=1396&bih=692

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/spid...at-363306.html

Hoe this helps,

------
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 02:56 AM   #12

paint checking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
This topic has been repeatedly discussed - the conclusion is "Live with it" as the cost to remove and replace is prohibitive and all other attempts will only be temporary - very temporary

Three years ago I completely Compounded mine and sealed it and it was a "Good" finish for 6-8 feet but the Checks all came back and even continued to grow in density and locations.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f274/pain...ng-295003.html

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/pain...es-338233.html

https://www.google.com/search?q=pain...w=1396&bih=692

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/spid...at-363306.html

Hoe this helps,

------
paint checking is caused by plywood directly behind outside fiberglass panel that is how they were made there is no fix
Herb
Herb51 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint