RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Travel Supreme Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-13-2018, 07:30 PM   #1

King Dome & Direct TV

Can anyone tell me if the King Dome model 9704 is compataible with the new type HR 44-200 HD reciever. If not, what is the fix, new satellite?

trophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2018, 07:44 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
The HR 44-200 requires an SWM dish, the King Dome is a multiswitch unit. You will need an SWM converter. Something like this.https://www.amazon.com/DirecTV-SWM16...ds=SWm+adapter

Sbrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 08:45 PM   #3

You are aware that by the end of April 2019 DirecTV has said they will stop transmitting SD programming over the 101 satellite and allow that satellite to fall out of orbit. They have not said they would offer any type of substitute Ku band programming that can be received by that antenna. Depending on the serial number that antenna may be compatible with DISH Network. So that may be an alternative to buying a new antenna.
Old 09-13-2018, 08:57 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
You are aware that by the end of April 2019 DirecTV has said they will stop transmitting SD programming over the 101 satellite and allow that satellite to fall out of orbit. ....
Not definite. What we really need is MPEG4 non SWM receivers...and they do exist. Many of us have been trying to figure out what will be. A couple of days ago I had a long session on line with DirecTV customer support. Take this with a grain of salt, but I specified that I had 5 SD receivers, did not want to change the dish from an 18" dish and did not care about locals.

after 5 minutes the guy came back an said they would replace all 5 receivers for no money. I asked if they would work in non-SWM mode and his response was YES. They look like H24s...

This would mean national channels on 101 either in MPEG4 SD or HD. Otherwise there would be no reason to bother to upgrade anyone with an 18" dish.
Old 09-13-2018, 09:54 PM   #5

I think your missing the point, the 101 satellite is SD only and at the end of it's useful life. DirecTV issued a statement at the 2015 SEMA show that in 2019 they would decommission the 101 satellite and allow it to fall out of orbit. In January 2017 DirecTV started contacting all those customers that were SD only equipment and told them they had to upgrade to HD equipment to continue their DirecTV service.

The problem for RV dome antennas is they will only receive Ku band transmissions for DirecTV. The 101 is the last Ku band satellite for DirecTV. All other DirecTV satellites are Ka band which dome antennas cannot receive.
Old 09-13-2018, 10:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
I think your missing the point, the 101 satellite is SD only and at the end of it's useful life. DirecTV issued a statement at the 2015 SEMA show that in 2019 they would decommission the 101 satellite and allow it to fall out of orbit. In January 2017 DirecTV started contacting all those customers that were SD only equipment and told them they had to upgrade to HD equipment to continue their DirecTV service.

The problem for RV dome antennas is they will only receive Ku band transmissions for DirecTV. The 101 is the last Ku band satellite for DirecTV. All other DirecTV satellites are Ka band which dome antennas cannot receive.
With all due respect DirecTV hasn't announced exactly what it is doing next year. The end of life issue with the 101 satellite appears to be a red herring, since there is an in-orbit backup ready to be put online. From what' I've read, the real driver is a desire to put the 110 satellite out of service.

The DirecTV customers who have been converted to HD appear to be those whose local channels became HD-only as part of the elimination of MPEG2 SD locals. They were given HD hardware so they could continue to receive their own channels, but it's not clear if they were given broader HD access.

RV forums and the DBS (direct broadcast satellite) forums are full of people running around screaming that all SD programming will end next year. Other people on those forums are screaming just as vociferously that there is no evidence that this will happen. Why doesn't everyone just back off and wait for DirecTV to announce its plans?
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 07:04 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
So much misinformation...unfortunate. They could have just told their customers what they were going to do and when. The only reason not to do this was based on how much hardware they had and how they were doing a national rollout.

A few things appear to be true. NO, there will be a satellite at 101, without that every single DTV system would have to be replaced and that is north of 20,000,000. 101 is the cornerstone of DTV. It will not go away. The bigger issue is 119 which is at end of life and will not be replaced. This means that duplicated SD and HD broadcasts have to go and it seems that the local channels are where the problem is. That is a lot of transponders, even with spot beams.

MPEG2 will go, but DirecTV has a line of receivers that will work with legacy dishes and receive MPEG4, either SD or HD.

I believe that most RV dishes will get a bonus of some HD channels going forward.
Old 09-16-2018, 11:42 AM   #8

Coastal Campers
Spartan Chassis
KVH Industries TracVision R4

I have KVH Industries TracVision R4 - have been informed by directtv installer to replace LBN with Star com SR-308 universal KU band OCTO LBN. Have the LBN, but have not installed. Anyone, completed this type of LBN change out. Helpful information greatly appreciated!!
Redonion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 08:49 PM   #9

I have a Trac Vision - will it not work anymore? Is this conversion expensive? Has anyone talked with the subcontractor that handles the mobile system satellite subscriptions?
DA_BUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 07:45 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Interesting document from KVH showing that DirecTV still has an 18" round, multiswitch setting in their new setup software...

Now why would that be? Seems that our small dishes will work after the transition as long as we have MPEG4 compatible, D20 receivers or equivalent.

Why would you change your LNB, presumably to an SWM version unless you have more than one receiver in the RV?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf KVH Upgrade.pdf (334.7 KB, 6 views)
Old 10-01-2018, 07:42 PM   #11

I just had my Direct TV hooked up after a couple of years of not using it. Direct TV referred me to Signal Connect. I was fortunate to get a person that previously had been an RV installer and was very knowledgable. We talked a lot and I have his direct number. He knew more about my system than Direct TV. He didn't mention any changes. I will call him and ask for some insider info....

The settings in your bulletin look familiar. I did have to get a new receiver that I bought for $99.

DA_BUS is offline   Reply With Quote