Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Travel Supreme Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2017, 07:49 AM   #1

Let's Talk Shocks

2005 42DS04

60,000 miles +

Road seems to be really pounding the front end (Could easily be really bad roads)

With the air ride hard to tell if it is just the road or the Shocks.

What have others done?

What particular shock do you suggest?

Trying to generate a little info on the subject, could all those who have changed Shocks chip in as to what you did and how it went?

Been traveling very little over the last 5 years (Took care of MIL) and did a 1,000 mile road trip last week and just feels like it could be a little better.

Added note - anyone else ever have the motor for the Electric front shades fall to the floor as you went down the road?

If so I think you might know what i Mean as to the hard ride

Thanks to all the TS group,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2017, 04:35 PM   #2

I bought my coach in 2012, so shocks were a bit tired by then. It did however ride very rough on the front. My tire and alignment guy, who also has a MH and gives tire seminars stated that he recommends Koni adjustable shocks and Bridgestone tires on the front of Spartan Chassis. He does a ton of MH's so I decided to take his advice. Took it for a drive when he was done and I could not believe the difference. DW who never says BOO stated it felt as if we had bought a different MH. To this day I still can not believe the difference it made.
Old 07-24-2017, 04:50 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by becks View Post
I bought my coach in 2012, so shocks were a bit tired by then. It did however ride very rough on the front. My tire and alignment guy, who also has a MH and gives tire seminars stated that he recommends Koni adjustable shocks and Bridgestone tires on the front of Spartan Chassis. He does a ton of MH's so I decided to take his advice. Took it for a drive when he was done and I could not believe the difference. DW who never says BOO stated it felt as if we had bought a different MH. To this day I still can not believe the difference it made.
Bridgestone might not be in my future but I'm pretty sure those Koni adjustable might be on my list.

Have had some bad luck with Bridgestones - son talked me into four and they were the worst tires I have ever owned, but they were on a small car, so might keep an open mind.

Thanks for telling your story,

Old 07-25-2017, 05:35 AM   #4

On the Entegra forum, there's lots of talk by those who replaced front shocks with Koni adjustables who have now switched to some new Konis.

They switched "just because" and because they heard the new ones were larger and even better over small bumps.

Everyone raves.

This appears to be the shock that fits our front ends...even though it doesn't list my K2 chassis. Best price, last I shopped the part number.

https://www.ultrarvproducts.com/Koni...eyco-IFS-Front

I have the Koni adjustables, and I'm tempted.

Although mine are great on the middle setting of three available, they can't quite handle some of the biggest interstate bumps, and I worry that going to the stiffer setting will degrade the routine ride.

And paying a shop to change the setting is the same cost as switching to new shocks. You see how it is that I'm thinking of the new ones....
Old 07-25-2017, 05:58 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
On the Entegra forum, there's lots of talk by those who replaced front shocks with Koni adjustables who have now switched to some new Konis.

They switched "just because" and because they heard the new ones were larger and even better over small bumps.

Everyone raves.

This appears to be the shock that fits our front ends...even though it doesn't list my K2 chassis. Best price, last I shopped the part number.

I have the Koni adjustables, and I'm tempted.

Although mine are great on the middle setting of three available, they can't quite handle some of the biggest interstate bumps, and I worry that going to the stiffer setting will degrade the routine ride.

And paying a shop to change the setting is the same cost as switching to new shocks. You see how it is that I'm thinking of the new ones....
So it would be between these two;

Guess now I'll chase down the posts on the Entegra Forum to see the reviews on the two.

I've never been a big fan of adjustable - guess I just need to read more and understand the thought process behind the two.

Thanks for the link,
Old 07-25-2017, 06:01 AM   #6

Quote:
Road seems to be really pounding the front end (Could easily be really bad roads)
Shocks will keep the coach from bouncing up and down, but not have a great deal to do with "pounding". The first thing I would check would be the tire pressures. Are the pressures adjusted properly for the weight of the coach? A Lot of owners run way entirely too much pressure, and that makes for a harsh ride.

Second thing to look at are the stabilizer bar "rubber" washers. At 60,000 miles I'll bet yours are needing replacing. Easy job and less than $20.

Third thing is to contact your state governing body and demand better roads. They are the ones who direct the funds to repair/replace and build roads.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 06:14 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
Shocks will keep the coach from bouncing up and down, but not have a great deal to do with "pounding". The first thing I would check would be the tire pressures. Are the pressures adjusted properly for the weight of the coach? A Lot of owners run way entirely too much pressure, and that makes for a harsh ride.

Second thing to look at are the stabilizer bar "rubber" washers. At 60,000 miles I'll bet yours are needing replacing. Easy job and less than $20.

Third thing is to contact your state governing body and demand better roads. They are the ones who direct the funds to repair/replace and build roads.
Tire pressures are correct - and while pounding is due to bad roads, IMHO shocks do help considerably with the degree of direct pass-through I'm getting, will look at the Rubber washers, but have not noticed any wear there in my rolling around under the Coach, but will check again.

Thanks for the input, but in my particular case I think shocks are the culprit.
Old 07-25-2017, 06:20 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Does anyone know if those rubber washers on the sway bars are available in poly urethane (?)
My thinking is the harder poly will last longer and make the fitting "tighter" so it does not give as much as the rubber ones.

"the Oilfield PAID me to retire, so I did" :-)
JNSNWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 06:50 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNSNWT View Post
Does anyone know if those rubber washers on the sway bars are available in poly urethane (?)
My thinking is the harder poly will last longer and make the fitting "tighter" so it does not give as much as the rubber ones.

Yes, here is a copy and paste from my notes.

Quote:
"Front stabilizer bar end link bushings Poly Sway HLP/PB336 (8 Total) $13.56"
Old 07-25-2017, 06:55 AM   #10

For more information, here is a link to another forum discussion on this same topic from a few days ago.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/hard...ks-349963.html
Old 07-25-2017, 07:02 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for the info BigD9

One more thing on my "todo" list, groan

"the Oilfield PAID me to retire, so I did" :-)
JNSNWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 06:03 PM   #12

I replaced my front with adjustable Konis on the softest setting. I have loved it. However, now I'm thinking about the rear. I haven't seen anyone mention the rear here. Just curious why that is.
Old 08-08-2017, 01:56 PM   #13

Nor'easters Club
I had Koni adjustable installed at Spartan two years ago on medium. Tire pressure is critical, you did not mention 250 point inspection at Spartan/Charlotte that adjusts ride height, alignment, and dials in all tire/load pressures. Last year I had them set to firm, as we full time with max load, as it porpoised too much, leave Bilsteins on Drive axle, new Monroe on tag axle.
djnorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 08:15 AM   #14

I put Koni's on the rear of my coach, as well as the front.

Tags
shocks