Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Travel Supreme Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2015, 08:10 AM   #1

M-40DS02-400hp

Hello everyone. This is my 1st day on the forum and 1st post ever.
I have an opportunity to purchase a 2003 M-40DS02-400hp from a customer who has owned it since new. This unit went from Ohio to sturgis and back once, put inside his heated building, and has been there ever since. Currently showing 3600 miles. My questions are:

1-value? Condition is new, but 13 years old.
2-what updates did TS recommend before closing up shop?
3-Owners pro's /con's of this coach.
cat246ssl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2015, 08:30 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum, we all always shoot from the hip with honest answers here.

First, value drops like a rock, so beware.
Second, TS has 8 pages of things to do to fix things,
Third, run, don't walk from the coach.
Fourth, read my sig and then PM me with the owner's contact info

P.S. sounds like the proverbial diamond in the rough. congrats!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat246ssl View Post
I have an opportunity to purchase a 2003 M-40DS02-400hp from a customer who has owned it since new. This unit went from Ohio to sturgis and back once, put inside his heated building, and has been there ever since. Currently showing 3600 miles. My questions are:

Old 07-22-2015, 08:47 AM   #3

Quote:

In the interest of full disclosure, I'm an SOB owner. When I was looking for a full timing coach, TS was on my short list of desirable coaches. I wanted a couple of things TS didn't offer so I ended up going another way.

The TS from about the '03 you are looking at until they stopped building coaches were very desirable. Sounds like this could be a real jewel. Be aware that you will need to have a "complete" service done which will be several thousand dollars. New tires will be required due to birthdays.

The guys here can give you specifics. You will want to investigate X bracing.

Good luck with your investigations on this coach and safe travels.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 09:32 AM   #4

cat246ssl
Congrats on the find!!!!!
I own the same coach. Same year, same model.
The 2003 40DS02 came in both a 2 slide and a 3 slide version. So, check on the number of slides. Mine is a 3 slide version.

Value??? I would suggest looking at the RV Trader web site to get a gauge on prices.

Updates recommended? See answers from bamaboy.

Owners pros and cons.
1. Tires. If over 5-7 years old replace.
2. Check the Front Ball Joint covers. They are notorious for cracking, thus requiring the ball joints to be replaced.
3. Cross Bracing is desirable. Best place to get it done is Precision Paint. Will stop frame flex and avoid windshield cracking and popping issues. The 40DS0X was probably the smallest of the TS coaches where it is beneficial to do this.
4. The 40DS0X air system is pretty reliable. However, on my coach with 75K miles did develop a pin hole leak in the hose between the compressor (mounted on the passenger side of the engine) and the air dryer. If you are at all handy, the new air line is around $50 - $60 and can be replaced in about a couple of hours.
5. The Air Dryer desiccant filter needs to be replaced. If not from use then from age. Another fairly easy task if you are handy.
6. The front leveling sensor switches get sticky and need a little lubrication to get them working decently. No big deal. A 2 minute job with some WD40.
7. After sitting for so long, it needs an Oil Change before even thinking about any kind of trip. Maybe even before pulling out of the Previous Owners property. Would also add some Diesel Fuel treatment to make sure the fuel is OK. Something like Sta-Bil would probably be good to use.
8. The Dashboard air conditioner is an Evans Tempcon unit. The mixing valve (an electronic unit) goes bad quickly. Solution is to put in a manual hot water shutoff valve. (It goes in the generator compartment just about dead center on the hot water feed line.)
9. The refrigerator is likely to be a NorCold 4 door unit. Cooling part of the Fridge will likely not be in the greatest shape. I replaced my Not So Cold with a Samsung RF197. Now have nice hard ice cream. LOL
10. Batteries may also need replacing. Also check and see if a B.I.R.D. device was installed to allow house batteries to charge off the alternator and chassis batteries to charge off shore power.

Those are the high points as far as I remember. Don't let any of these things scare you. It's a fine coach and I'm sure you'll be Very Happy with it.

Drew
2003 - 40DS02
OldHatt45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 09:43 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldHatt45 View Post
cat246ssl

Updates recommended? See answers from bamaboy.

Drew
2003 - 40DS02

ROFL.... there's a Ben Franklin heading your way if the OP takes me up on my suggestion and gives me a shot at it.
Old 07-22-2015, 10:21 AM   #6

Coastal Campers
Spartan Chassis
Brew and Bamaboy, excellent insight. Also check out the RVcruzer.com web site.
I am the original owner of a 2007, TS Envoy 42'10" 4 slides, 400ISL. Pay a couple of hundred of dollars for a good RV or diesel mechanic and have them good over the rig from top to bottom. Like Drew, we switch to the Samsung RF197 (check the blogs), wife very happy.. I am in the process of replacing the toilet, foot spring holder broken on the base porcelain base and the base is no longer available, but the toilet is! I am going to install a angle stop (shut of value) at the toilet. We do about 12,000 miles per year, staying in different parts of the country, so we use water filters. This will save the toilet value, does not like sand or particles.
Good luck, safe travels.

Fred
Redonion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 11:59 AM   #7

Thanks for all the great responses!
The value on nada RV seems low @ $65,400 average retail.
People are asking $86-$120K with many more miles. Any suggestions on a fair value for both parties?
Old 07-23-2015, 05:59 AM   #8

The answer lies somewhere between your bartender and your priest, I'm afraid. It could be argued either way.

Low, low miles on a diesel coach aren't the best thing for oil, seals, moving parts, etc. You might be opening up (moving) a can of surprises, so there's reason to be cautious when the seller says that low miles are trump.

As said before, get a pro to turn every switch, run every pump, open every drawer and window, run the A/C and heat pumps....and pay the seller fuel costs, but drive it 100 miles; testing cruise, dash air, brakes.

If it were me (see post #2 ) I'd do the above testing before I arrived at a price...but $80K sounds like a great price if you like the exterior and interior color schemes.
Old 07-23-2015, 08:07 AM   #9

As stated ... and very low mileage coach that has been sitting for long periods of time without exercise .. could be a blessing or a curse .... generally falls toward the latter ...... Fluids, including fuel needs to be changed before even firing it up ... ((if not been done in the last year or so)) ... especially fuel .... can do a lot of damage
Get a pro involved .... worth the cost

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
hal1phx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 08:46 AM   #10

M-40DS02-400hp

Thanks to all for the great advice, list of upcoming things to do, values, etc. I will report back once I have made the deal or walk. I spent most of the day on this forum and really enjoyed the conversations / people / and stories.
Old 07-23-2015, 09:17 AM   #11

Based on reading #9, modify #8 about driving the coach if it hasn't been fired up in awhile. Agreed on not using old fuel. If you do, have a few filters on hand in case it bogs down during your drive.
Old 07-24-2015, 07:37 AM   #12

Check RVT for comparing prices. Also RVonline usually has some nice Travel Supremes for price comparison.
jerryhawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 08:51 PM   #13

Anyone know or have a brochure on a 2003 travel supreme 40'?
Old 08-03-2015, 10:41 AM   #14

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Anyone know or have a brochure on a 2003 travel supreme 40'?
Hi..
Interesting coach.. I have a PDF of an 04 brochure which should be almost or is identical to the 03.. These brochures are really hard to find I know cause I looked hard for some when I bought mine..
They really are great coaches and have enjoyed mine a great deal..
If you are in Ohio you are close to our two best Vendors for TS work.. Precision Paint and Interiors (the people who painted the coach originally and staffed by mostly EX TS folks) and Spartan in Charlotte Michigan..
The inside storage and very low miles would make it extremely interesting to me.. Cross Bracing is something you will read a lot about.. It mostly is needed on coaches 40 foot and over.. Although some have needed it on 40's.. It is meant to reduce chassis flex and windshields popping when very uneven.. I have 68K on mine and no issues.. But you could call Paul at Precision and talk to him.. BTW they do all kinds of work on coaches not just body and paint.. But interiors flooring TV upgrades etc. Nice folks and they know what they are doing..
Just be aware even with the low mileage there are time dependent items that VERY important.. Like tires and Batteries.. I would also look closely at the fridge..
I will try to attach the file here if not PM me and I will send the PDF as well..
This forum is a wealth of information and folks willing to help.. You couldn't have come to a better place..
Ron Husak

Looks like NO PDF allowed so contact me at Husak dot Ron at Gmail dot com
04 Travel Supreme 40DS04 400 Cummins ISL
rhusak is offline   Reply With Quote