Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Travel Supreme Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-13-2016, 09:42 AM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
ME DS02B Water Question - First of Several

OK most wise TS Owners...first of several questions stemming from our first foray with the Mid-Engine Coach...

This coach has what I 'think' is the standard TS water/sewer compartment setup. There is a hose reel, the black & grey dumps, etc. There is one female hose connection for the potable water and one for the grey/black tank wash. I noticed that the hose from the reel was connected (firmly) to the potable input, and the female end of the hose (on the reel) had a male plug firmly screwed into the connection. With the water pump 'on,' it was clearly evident that the water hose was 'under pressure' as it was bulged and the plug was practically impossible to unscrew. I turned the pump off and switched the selector valve to tank fill, and the water pressure dumped into the fresh water tank. That let us connect up the hose to the campsite spigot. Turning on the pump, though, pressurizes the hose. Having replaced the water pump on my last rig (an Outlaw) with a little less complicated system, I recall a one-way check valve that essentially prevents the water pump from pressurizing the fresh-water input, which clearly makes sense. And I'm pretty sure the check valve is either missing or installed incorrectly on the ME. That said, there is a bit of an advantage to this install since the water hose on the reel acts as a pressure reservoir for the system. Still, depending on a male plug in the end of the hose to stay put or risk dumping all fresh water overboard seems a poor trade off for stable water pressure.

So, oh wise TS brain trust:
1) Where is the water pump and check-valve on the coach and is it easy to access? Guessing it is behind the white panel with the connections, pump switch, etc., in the bin.
2) Please confirm that the fresh water input is supposed to feed via a check-valve so it doesn't pressurize when the water pump is activated. (I still have the 'extra' one from my pump install on my prior coach...bought a separate check valve and the new pump came with one installed)

Thanks (more questions to follow)

f15epilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2016, 12:23 PM   #2

Two check valves involved

Water pump has an INTERNAL check valve to prevent water backflowing thru pump into fresh water tank and overfilling it when using CITY WATER

CITY WATER connection has a internal check valve in hose connection to prevent water from flowing out hose connection when using water pump
Sounds like the check valve has failed or was removed as evidenced by hose pressurizing when using pump

That may be why end of hose has a plug.
Personally I would change out plug for a garden hose shutoff valve.
Check valves are cheap junk and you have to replace the whole city water assembly

Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 05:10 AM   #3

Be careful when buying garden hose connections for your potable water system...they usually have lead in them. I shop in the plumbing dept rather than garden dept for that reason, and look for "lead free" on labels.
The Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 07:54 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Good point on the material content. It looks like most of the 'plumbing' behind the water panel is "Pex" tubing. I think I'll insert a valve in there and just mount that to the panel...with a label for the DW for those occasions where she wants to assist in setup and take down. I would say for the 'next' owner, but I don't think there will be one of those. Even with the issues, I love this coach too much to even think of giving it up
f15epilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 08:19 PM   #5

There are differing designs of check valves. TS uses one with a little ceramic? Ball as the check, but I found the ones with a more common flat type of plunger works better. Check Amazon and you'll see both types.
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water