Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Travel Supreme Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-03-2014, 12:46 PM   #1

Million dollar highway

Can I drive a 45 foot RV go on th Milion Dollar Highway in Colorado towing a pickup? Are you thereRon?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2014, 12:48 PM   #2

Carolina Campers
Million dollar highway

If it only took a million dollars, it is either very short or too narrow... Lol

Old 08-03-2014, 12:58 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yes! Take a look at the video.

rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 01:31 PM   #4

Carolina Campers
Now, turn around and do the up hill....
Old 08-03-2014, 03:44 PM   #5

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickschaak View Post
Can I drive a 45 foot RV go on th Milion Dollar Highway in Colorado towing a pickup? Are you thereRon?
Dick..
Yes, it can be done.. I have seen it.. Many large 5'ers and such plus tractor trailer rigs travel it 12 months a year.. But it will be a white knuckler for those not familiar with high mountain driving.. Just take her easy and can be done without too much drama.. But your co pilot may be laying on the floor.. :-)
But that's why you have 600 horsepower! Tow with ease!
The term "Million Dollar" highway came from the time that the road was built.. Back in the 1800's.. Would cost many multiples of that today.. Probably one of the most.. If not the most scenic road I have ever been on.. I will be going on the 18th.. Love this part of the state.. Ouray, Telluride and Silverton.. All beautiful...
Again we stay in Ridgeway love it there..
Have you decided when you are going Dick?
Ron
04 Travel Supreme 40DS04
rhusak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 03:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhusak View Post
Dick..
The term "Million Dollar" highway came from the time that the road was built.. Back in the 1800's.. Would cost many multiples of that today...

Ron
And, I think the "Million Dollar" was near the cost per mile, at the time of coarse!

I did not go as fast as the guy in the video. I think I got down to 13 MPH, without the toad. That is when I learned that sub 87 octane would not work in my V10!

H

hdossett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 04:00 PM   #7

Carolina Campers
Million dollar highway

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdossett View Post
And, I think the "Million Dollar" was near the cost per mile, at the time of coarse!

I did not go as fast as the guy in the video. I think I got down to 13 MPH, without the toad. That is when I learned that sub 87 octane would not work in my V10!

H

I also love that part of the country and love the scenery. I even love the scenery going up and down scenic byway 12 in UT. I found it was hard for my copilot to take pictures from the floor... At least there is a cliff only on one side on the Million Dollar highway.

What is the % grade on the Million Dollar highway? I know that on scenic byway 12 in UT it was 10% to 12%, with cliffs on both sides of the road... What fun...
Old 08-03-2014, 04:04 PM   #8

I saw Tractor trailers and buses in that video. I don't see why you would not be able to drive it. You will certainly have to drive a tad slower then the video. Use lower gears up and down grades plus your engine brake downhills.

Good Luck!!
Old 08-03-2014, 04:39 PM   #9

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
I saw Tractor trailers and buses in that video. I don't see why you would not be able to drive it. You will certainly have to drive a tad slower then the video. Use lower gears up and down grades plus your engine brake downhills.

Good Luck!!

It looks like a 25 mph speed limit... that translates into a 15 mph for RV and 45 mph for a motorcycle (which I believe this was taken from).

Ted
Old 08-03-2014, 06:06 PM   #10

My hesitation isn't so much the speed, but the length in tight turns, hoping an 18-wheeler isn't coming the other way. And falling off the cliff, of course.

Going around, via Mancos (you don't have to go all the way to Cortez) and close to Telluride, is a lovely drive and the scenery will be much more easily enjoyed. Highway 145 is a relatively tight road, so you'll get some of that, and Highway 62 goes over Dallas Divide--wide open and gorgeous (there's a reason Ralph Lauren bought a ranch in that exact spot). You won't get to go through Silverton, but you can always take a toad, or the train.
Old 08-03-2014, 06:35 PM   #11
NRF

Monaco Owners Club
We go there at least every other year and have driven the highway many times in both direction. Have never minded any of the grades or turns. Just be careful with your braking - especially for those with hydraulic brakes. Gear down and give your coach a rest at red mountain pass (between Durango & Silverton) when climbing. We always stay in Silverton and own property there.
Old 08-03-2014, 08:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgvtexan View Post
Yes! Take a look at the video.

Old 08-03-2014, 08:34 PM   #13

It will probably be a year from now. We are going to visit family in MN next summer and want to come back through CO. I have done it pulling a 30 ft Airstream, but I am concerned about doing it with my TS.
Old 08-03-2014, 08:38 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by oatmeal View Post
My hesitation isn't so much the speed, but the length in tight turns, hoping an 18-wheeler isn't coming the other way. And falling off the cliff, of course.

Going around, via Mancos (you don't have to go all the way to Cortez) and close to Telluride, is a lovely drive and the scenery will be much more easily enjoyed. Highway 145 is a relatively tight road, so you'll get some of that, and Highway 62 goes over Dallas Divide--wide open and gorgeous (there's a reason Ralph Lauren bought a ranch in that exact spot). You won't get to go through Silverton, but you can always take a toad, or the train.
Good info, thanks.