RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Travel Supreme Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-01-2014, 06:33 AM   #1

Question Mysterious air compressor

I have an air compressor in the basement of my Limited. I assumed that it operated my closet and companionway doors. However these doors work just fine without the compressor. So I don't know what the purpose of the air compressor is. I think the doors are operated by vacuum generators mounted on a manifold that sits behind the air compressor. They are made by SMC. But a feed from the air compressor goes into this vacuum manifold. Can anybody shed light on these items?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2014, 06:39 AM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Do you have air leveling?

Old 03-01-2014, 06:45 AM   #3

Dick,
When I was having a problem with my air suspension, I did a bunch of looking (you might call it research - LOL) at what different chassis use. I ran across one Chassis might have been a Spartan Chassis that used a separate compressor for what I believe is an adjustable suspension height system. Possibly a Hadley air ride system? This system is different from the normal air system, but since I didn't have any extra compressors, I didn't pursue it any further. You might do some poking around and see if your mystery compressor has any connection to a ride height system.

Hope this may give you some ideas.

Drew
OldHatt45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 07:19 AM   #4

Dick
The compressor in the basement that you speak of is in fact to supply air to the pocket doors. However, with the coach engine running, the doors are pressurized by the same source as the brakes and air ride system, and the small compressor in the basement need not come on. Once you are parked somewhere, engine off, and the doors get cycled a few times using some of the stored air, the compressor will kick in and replenish what has been used and cut itself off.
As a footnote... This compressor is fused in the electrical cabinet in the bathroom where the rest of the fuse busses are. Also fused in the basement next to the compressor.
Jeff
La-Z-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 07:23 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mystery Compressor

You don't say if your coach is new or used and gas or diesil. I bought a used one also with a mystery compressor. Mine turned out to be the compressor to operate a Roadmaster 9000 proportional braking system for the toad. If this is your case look at the back of the coach to see if you have a quick disconnect fitting near your hitch. That's a good indicator this is the purpose of the compressor.
JoefromCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 07:57 AM   #6

Dick's coach is a sister to mine so I know what his setup looks like. By the way, the air fitting that you are talking about in the engine compartment, is also driven by the the same system. However, without the engine running or air in the tanks, that little compressor is not going to do much in the way of volume or pressure for the fitting in the engine compartment
Jeff
Old 03-01-2014, 08:09 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by La-Z-Boy View Post
Dick
The compressor in the basement that you speak of is in fact to supply air to the pocket doors. However, with the coach engine running, the doors are pressurized by the same source as the brakes and air ride system, and the small compressor in the basement need not come on. Once you are parked somewhere, engine off, and the doors get cycled a few times using some of the stored air, the compressor will kick in and replenish what has been used and cut itself off.
As a footnote... This compressor is fused in the electrical cabinet in the bathroom where the rest of the fuse busses are. Also fused in the basement next to the compressor.
Jeff
Jeff & Drew,
With the compressor completely out of air the doors still work perfectly. That is why I think the doors are operated by the SMC vacuum system and not compressed air. I am starting to think it is for either my air horn or Hadley system. I went to Hadley's site and they show a system for horns almost identical in appearance the system in the basement. (Tank, compressor, gauge etc.) My air horns are not working. I do have the engine off and I don't want to start it this early. If the horns work off the engine then that is not the answer either. It is not a crisis but really bugging me. Thanks!
Old 03-01-2014, 08:24 AM   #8

That is what I'm saying
As long as the chassis has air, the compressor is not needed. If you unhook the fuse on the compressor while camping, and use your doors as normal, they will eventually stop working properly. Then if you crank the engine and build pressure, you will see them move and operate properly.
Compressor is there so you don't lose pressure to the doors after long periods of time without engine running
Jeff
Old 03-01-2014, 08:58 AM   #9

Jeff,
It is not that I don't believe you, but I went down and removed the pressure switch on the compressor to let all of the air out of the tank. You are absolutely right. The doors will not operate. If I leave the fuse in the compressor will not shut off. I have replaced the pressure switch so I guess it has to be the compressor. I will order a new one. Thanks for your help. I will not doubt you on the future.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:23 AM   #10

Dick
I was in a hurry before and trying to be brief, not "short". My apologies. No offense taken here...
The reason that I am so well versed with this is that sometime last year the same thing happened to me with the compressor blowing fuses. I never solved the problem but it ended up being a blessing for me, as you know I have four small children(all girls) and the noise of the door stops when opening and closing makes a thump that interrupts naps and night sleeping. So, when we arrive at the campground, we try to use up all the air before bedtime so we don't have to hear the doors in the middle of the night bathroom runs.
With no air in the system, the doors operate very freely by hand, and quietly as well.
When is time to leave, the engine quickly brings the doors back to life
Hope this helps
Jeff
Old 03-01-2014, 09:31 AM   #11

I'll PM you my phone number if you want to call for anything
Old 03-01-2014, 02:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by La-Z-Boy View Post
Dick
I was in a hurry before and trying to be brief, not "short". My apologies. No offense taken here...
The reason that I am so well versed with this is that sometime last year the same thing happened to me with the compressor blowing fuses. I never solved the problem but it ended up being a blessing for me, as you know I have four small children(all girls) and the noise of the door stops when opening and closing makes a thump that interrupts naps and night sleeping. So, when we arrive at the campground, we try to use up all the air before bedtime so we don't have to hear the doors in the middle of the night bathroom runs.
With no air in the system, the doors operate very freely by hand, and quietly as well.
When is time to leave, the engine quickly brings the doors back to life
Hope this helps
Jeff
I did not feel you were being short in any way. I was just making an attempt at humor. My wife loves your comment. I always get up at 5. I don't want to wake her so I close the doors. However, the bang when they close wakes her up. Now she can sleep through.

Tags
compressor