Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Travel Supreme Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2015, 06:41 PM   #1

No Trailer Brake or Turn Signals

Hope to get some direction here. Here's what I have going on.

I have a 2007 Travel Supreme Envoy. All lights, brake, turn signals and running lights DO operate fine. Issue is when I plug my trailer in...only the running lights work on the trailer. I do NOT get turn signals or brake lights on the trailer...but DO still have them on the motorhome.

So, confirmed that it is NOT the trailer itself by plugging the trailer in to the SUV and ALL lights on the trailer worked perfectly. So the issue is NOT in the trailer.

That said, we found the fuse box and relay switches box in the engine compartment high on the wall where removing the box cover indicates towing lights, turn lights etc. We did find that 3 fuses were broken so replaced them but problem still persists. I put a 12V light meter into those slots and there is NOT any power to those fuse slots. So this explains why the new fuses did not resolve the issue.

So my question is, does anyone know where to look upstream from that fuse panel in the engine compartment? I am aware of the main fuse panel below the driver side and I took the 12V light meter to all those and they all worked fine...so not in there I don't believe. Is there another fuse panel that would be powering that engine compartment fuse box.

Thanks, need to get my brake and turn signals working on the trailer ASAP. Again...motorhome lights work fine....it's NOT the trailer as it worked fine with the SUV connected to it. So it's upstream from that engine compartment fuse box because F5 and F18 and F19 do not show power to those fuse slots.

Appreciate any feedback related. Dave
Eusefull is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2015, 06:51 PM   #2

If there are relays in that box as well as fuses , could be one of them has failed , or and I really hope this is not the case, internal circuit board failure in the box.
Can you find a multiple connector, into the box and check for battery power, and then turn on the coach ignition switch and check for a second wire indicating ignition power, that should activate the relays.
You say broken fuses, was the fuse actually broken; cracked or smashed; or did you mean that the internal wire was burnt out?
Old 07-02-2015, 07:03 PM   #3

Hey Skip - thanks for posting. Well yes there are relays in there but we used the back up beeper relay since we new it worked for sure because I get the beeper sound. We then moved that relay into the turn signal relay locations and no change in the issue. Again, the motorhome works perfectly...it is in the Brake and turn signal fuse locations in that fuse box. I did mean the internal wire was burnt out...sorry for that confusion.

tomorrow I am going to unplug and re-plug each of the rather large plugs that connect all around the outside edges of that fuse box. One is yellow, one green etc. and they are much larger than all the relays and fuses on the inside of the box. Just in case something got loose that is feeding power to those 3 fuse slots not getting power. Your multiple connector might be an idea...but all the other fuses and relays are working in the box...and since those fuses were previously burnt out....I suspect it's something upstream for just those circuits and that's what got me thinking of posting the scenario here...in case someone had a similar situation.
Old 07-02-2015, 07:15 PM   #4

When I purchased my coach last year my brake and turn also did not work. The power to the relays that are used as the 4way to 5 way convertor was cut off. After considerable looking a wire under the dash near the steering column had been disconnected by previous owner. I believe he pulled a trailer and did not need the convertor active. The wire was labelled stop or brake. If that isn't the problem I might suspect the relays near the rear fuse box. Check your trailer plug on the coach. If the convertor is not functioning, the turn signals and brake lights will be powered from different pins. Hope this helps.
yackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 07:35 PM   #5

Thanks Yackman - SO I just looked under the steering column and while most of the wires are labeled...I did not see anything out of order. There is a Brake controller and it all looks wired correctly as it DOES work fine. Just not getting brake lights or turn signals to my trailer. The power to those fuse locations do not have power so I believe that is the reason...but trying to find what powers that fuse box in the engine compartment and why all the other fuses and relays work fine...just not the F5, F18, and F19 slots. I tested the slots directly and they do not have power...so looking next upstream location if anyone knows?
Old 07-03-2015, 07:43 AM   #6

You mite want to reach out to Spartan and get electrical diagrams for your model. We found on ours the PO had rewired the 7 pin connector directly to the coach turn/stop lights at the back of the bus ... and the connector was wired incorrectly so we had no lights to the trailer. We removed all the hack work, went back to OEM wiring and WALA!!.. We also found the turn/stop for the 7 pin was totally separate from the coach lights .........
not sure this will help ... but thought I'd share anyways ......

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
hal1phx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 02:56 PM   #7

Thanks Hal for the comments and ideas. I did call a mobile guy who was also stumped why only the signal and brake lights would not transfer to the trailer...but when I read him your post...it got him thinking and we looked for a controller but could not find one...BUT we did install a controller correctly and all lights now work so on the road again! Thanks for the input from all.

Tags
brake