Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Travel Supreme Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2014, 10:10 AM   #15

Nor'easters Club
The recall wasn't really a fix. It simply installed a control unit which senses flue temp and shuts down power to the refer if the temp gets too high. Look for a small black box with a with a few wires going over to the flue and the fridge controls. Also, if you contact Norcold they you will whether or not it has been installed.

Lou
05 TS Envoy 38DS04
sailor_lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2014, 10:12 AM   #16
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bears Den View Post
Is there any way to tell if the refer unit has been updated? Just bought this rig last fall and the numbers are within the recall range. Doesn't appear that there are any "tags" indicating it has had a recall service done. Would have hoped the dealer we bought the rig from would have checked this out before the sale, but you know how that works sometimes. Thanks for any feedback.
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1540233164.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	499.9 KB
ID:	56293

Name:	image-1160419920.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	446.8 KB
ID:	56295

Here's what the box looks like. You will also have the yellow tag.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-2427981400.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	446.8 KB
ID:	56294  

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 07:39 PM   #17

Thanks for the feedback everyone and especially the pictures Cliff! That sealed it...the retro hasn't been done! Now get to break it out of mothballs and take it in...and give them a little "dress down" for selling a known potential hazard like that. Sheesh!

Has anyone come up with a simple way to protect it from the moisture problem? I can see from Cliff's pics how it could be vulnerable to splash through the vent cover.
Bears Den is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 08:16 PM   #18

Spartan Chassis
Hi All..
Well the fridge is running good! But imagine the surprise when my wife opened the lower right door it FELL ON THE FLOOR!
These things are absolute garbage!!!
Ron Husak
04 Travel Supreme 40DS04 400 Cummins ISL
rhusak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 08:40 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Same thing happened to me last week, but mine is 14 years old. The parts only cost 23.00. I ordered the parts, the RVDoctor came by and used some epoxy and pop rivet. Better than new. Caused by rust. I'm going to take all doors off, clean all hinges and grease them.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 05:17 AM   #20

Smile

In 2010 I replaced the norcold with a residential fridge. I was told it won't work, you won't like it. It works great.
dmsatori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:49 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmsatori View Post
In 2010 I replaced the norcold with a residential fridge. I was told it won't work, you won't like it. It works great.
+1 I don't think you wil find anyone who is unhappy with there res fridge. We love ours.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:18 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I am very happy with my Norcold. Its 14 years old, and the previous owner put in a Amish cooling unit. It works very well.

That being said, if this unit becomes too expensive to repair, I will replace with a residential. The cost to replace with another Norcold is prohibitive.

Unless you mostly boondock, replacing with a residential is the logical choice.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 12:17 AM   #23

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
I am very happy with my Norcold. Its 14 years old, and the previous owner put in a Amish cooling unit. It works very well.

That being said, if this unit becomes too expensive to repair, I will replace with a residential. The cost to replace with another Norcold is prohibitive.

Unless you mostly boondock, replacing with a residential is the logical choice.
I hear ya when it comes to the expense.

Here's another way that I'm beginning to look at boondocking. Technology has changed our world. Today's residential fridges use almost no power compared to the residential fridges of yesterday. Solar systems are available and affordable today that weren't even available yesterday. It's not too difficult to greatly increase the battery capacity in a coach.

It's probably possible to buy a residential fridge, some extra batteries, and a solar system for about what a new propane fridge costs.

So, in today's world, it's possible to run a residential fridge on batteries that are primarily charged by solar, which doesn't cost a dime. Then an Automatic Generator Start can be added to make sure the batteries stay charged if the solar doesn't quite do it.

OK. It costs a dime to buy the fuel for the generator. But it costs a dime to buy the fuel for the old propane fridge too.

Here's another way I'm beginning to look at the fridges. I'm fussy when it comes to the temperature of my fridges and freezers. I want my fridge temperature to be consistently between 37F deg to 41F deg , and my freezer at 0F deg. My old propane fridge couldn't give me that. My new residential fridge gives me exactly that.

I am happy.

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 01:01 AM   #24

Quote:
Has anyone come up with a simple way to protect it from the moisture problem? I can see from Cliff's pics how it could be vulnerable to splash through the vent cover.
Most exterior refrig covers have louvers in them. They are designed to minimize water intrusion from falling/blowing rain and wet road spray. When using a hose to wash, just use care around the exterior fridge compartment. I spray hose lightly, and from above directed down. This way a minimum of water goes up in and through the louvers in the exterior door.
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 04:26 AM   #25
Community Administrator

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback everyone and especially the pictures Cliff! That sealed it...the retro hasn't been done! Now get to break it out of mothballs and take it in...and give them a little "dress down" for selling a known potential hazard like that. Sheesh! Has anyone come up with a simple way to protect it from the moisture problem? I can see from Cliff's pics how it could be vulnerable to splash through the vent cover.
It seems to happen a lot at commercial rv wash places. They spray directly in the rear vent ( not knowing what can happen ). If I were to use them , I'd cover the vents with blue painters tape and remove it after the wash.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
norcold