Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Travel Supreme Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2015, 03:02 PM   #1

NORCOLD Fridges general questions

Hi all,
We have a TS Coach, 2003 DS02, 40', Cummins 400 ISL, Spartan Chassis.

Interior fridge is a Norcold 1200-IM 2-way. Works well on AC and LP.
Question: Does it/should it/can it work off Inverter AC?

Exterior fridge Norcold MRFT60 Duel Voltage.
Question: The DC is plugged in as well as the AC power plugs. Works great on Shore power AC. Doesn't operate on DC. (Master Power Switch is on). Checked the inline fuse, it's good. No blown fuses in the cabinet with all the fuses, breakers, etc. No tripped ground break detectors. Anywhere else I should look for a break or blown fuse?

The big question is: What do we do for refrigeration while on the road?

Would appreciate some advice. Thanks.
Chemosavvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2015, 03:11 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemosavvy View Post
Hi all,
We have a TS Coach, 2003 DS02, 40', Cummins 400 ISL, Spartan Chassis.

Interior fridge is a Norcold 1200-IM 2-way. Works well on AC and LP.
Question: Does it/should it/can it work off Inverter AC?

Exterior fridge Norcold MRFT60 Duel Voltage.
Question: The DC is plugged in as well as the AC power plugs. Works great on Shore power AC. Doesn't operate on DC. (Master Power Switch is on). Checked the inline fuse, it's good. No blown fuses in the cabinet with all the fuses, breakers, etc. No tripped ground break detectors. Anywhere else I should look for a break or blown fuse?

The big question is: What do we do for refrigeration while on the road?

Would appreciate some advice. Thanks.
The fridge only needs DC current to power up the circuit boards, it operates on AC current or LP only. On LP a burner operates a flame and on AC a heating element makes the needed heat. If you have a ice maker, when operating on LP it will not make ice unless it is on a inverter outlet or the genset is running. The ice maker needs 120 VAC to operate. I just leave the master on/off button on auto, that way upon loss of AC current, it will automatically switch over to LP.
Old 09-27-2015, 04:17 PM   #3
Commercial Member

According the the manual for your MRFT60, http://www.thetford.com/wp-content/u...ers-Manual.pdf

you should be able to measure the 12vdc power at the terminals on the back of the fridge to verify your fuses and supply. If you have 12vdc, the manual indicates the internal inverter is toast.

Your inside fridge should work on LP while traveling.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
TravellingRVDoctor, LLC
Old 09-27-2015, 05:01 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
I am sorry, I read your post to fast, I see now after reading it again that it is the outside fridge you are having trouble operating on DC. I also have one. I can't help you with fuse locations. You are going to have to find the power source for the DC side of it. If you run the genset, it ought to power up the outlet the outdoor fridge is plugged into while on the road.
Old 10-15-2015, 07:09 PM   #5

First, thanks for the replies and info. I had a Duh! moment. Never thought that the unit had never worked since 2003 when the coach was purchased. But, that was the case. I put a meter on the power cord at the fridge and no power. I tested the DC plug where the unit power wire entered the box. It was positive for DC current. So, I pulled out the power receptacle and tested the wire union. Looked perfectly normal but was not making a connection. A $1.29 later I put on a new wire union and that fixed the problem. Now have DC power for the auxiliary basement fridge. Very happy. Thanks again for your responses. As alwayTS owners are a great bunch of people.
Chemosavvy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge, norcold