Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Travel Supreme Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2016, 12:49 PM   #1

One inverter won't charge from gen

I have two magnum 2012 inverters on my coach. Had a couple of house batteries go bad so I replaced them all. My two remotes are stacked in a cabinet inside. Hooked to shore power, both inverters charge as usual. When I unplug and crank the generator the top remote does fine and bulk charges. The bottom remote stays on inverter with the green charge light flashing for around 10 seconds at a time. I think it is searching for power? Where do I start? Both work fine on shore power and I've reset both inverters underneath.
Thanks
Jimmy
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2016, 11:11 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Here's the manual for your inverter/chargers.

http://www.allbatterysalesandservice...ers-Manual.pdf

Have you checked the breakers on the generator? It sounds like one might be tripped and not passing power on to the I/C. If the breaker has been reset, then you'll need to check the 120v input to the I/C. Also of course make sure all breakers or fuses on the I/C are not tripped or burned out.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 11:11 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdaniel2509 View Post
I have two magnum 2012 inverters on my coach. Had a couple of house batteries go bad so I replaced them all. My two remotes are stacked in a cabinet inside. Hooked to shore power, both inverters charge as usual. When I unplug and crank the generator the top remote does fine and bulk charges. The bottom remote stays on inverter with the green charge light flashing for around 10 seconds at a time. I think it is searching for power? Where do I start? Both work fine on shore power and I've reset both inverters underneath.
Thanks
Jimmy
Jdaniel2509
If both inverters charge properly when on shore power, (and charged properly while running the generator), BEFORE you "replaced the house batteries" I suspect you wired something incorrectly when you replaced those batteries.Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 03:30 PM   #4

I checked the breaker on the Onan. It had one 50 amp and I flipped it. I have double checked the batteries thinking the same thing Mel said. I'm guessing I will call Magnum tomorrow
Old 08-28-2016, 03:34 PM   #5

Is the transfer switch inside the two inverters?
Old 08-28-2016, 03:47 PM   #6

Quote:
No, it should be the first box your shore power cord goes into from the cord reel. Could be a real challenge to access behind your cord reel....
Old 08-28-2016, 03:55 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
I checked the breaker on the Onan. It had one 50 amp and I flipped it. I have double checked the batteries thinking the same thing Mel said. I'm guessing I will call Magnum tomorrow
What type and size generator do you have? Most all larger generators have two breakers.If your RV is a 50 amp shore power service, your generator must have to have two circuit breakers, each 180º out of phase to supply both legs of the electrical system. Also, while on generator, have you tried all air conditioners and both legs of your 50 amp service? Me thinks perhaps your inverter is giving a hint that all power isn't coming through. If no second breaker on the generator, check transfer switch to be sure it's delivering both legs of the 50 amp service.

Bob & Donna
Old 08-28-2016, 03:57 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
There are 'mini-transfer' switches in the inverter because they provide 120 v A/C power when not connected to shore power or generator to some circuits in the RV.

Bob & Donna
Old 08-28-2016, 07:00 PM   #9

It's a 10 Onan. I only saw one 50 amp breaker on the front. I'll look tomorrow and see if I missed anything. And the ACs won't run but a minute on the generator because the bottom remote shows its trying to invert. While laying n my back in the bay I can hear a clicking inside the inverter every several seconds like it's trying to switch but isn't. The charge light on the bottom inverter will flash for 7-8 seconds as well then pause for a few, then start the blinking again.
Old 08-29-2016, 02:41 PM   #10

My bad. It's an Onan 12.5
In doing multiple resets today, 1 time I got both charging. 45
Minutes later I flipped on the ac and it shuttered and shut the ac off. Went to ac overload fault. I tried the rest of the day to get the resets to work with no luck. I called Magnum and I'm 22 in line!
Inverter just clicks every 10 seconds like it's trying to flip to charge but never does
Jdaniel2509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 09:54 AM   #11

Fixed! There was a terminal block inside the genny cover that had 4 wires going in and 4 coming out. one has arched and basically burned into. Replaced the block and all is good. Thanks!
Old 09-08-2016, 11:11 AM   #12

Wow, good catch! Thanks for the report....

Tags
inverter