Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Travel Supreme Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2013, 03:45 AM   #1

Porch light - any ideas?

I am still having problems with my porch light. It will last about four or five hours. I have gone from 20 watt bulb down to 8, still won't last. Any ideas?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2013, 03:59 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickschaak View Post
I am still having problems with my porch light. It will last about four or five hours. I have gone from 20 watt bulb down to 8, still won't last. Any ideas?
Hey Dick, not familiar with what's been happening ... can you reiterate ... what does "won't last" mean? What happens after 4-5 hours?
Old 11-10-2013, 04:23 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickschaak View Post
I read thru your earlier thread. Does anything else come on when you turn your porch light on, inside step light, door handle light, etc.?

If yes, then perhaps your porch light is wired in series. If another light is wired in series then the excess current thru your porch light would blow the bulb prematurely.
Old 11-10-2013, 04:43 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Interesting. In ten years of intermittent usage, sometime leaving mine on all night I have only replaced the bulb once. I can only share what I would check in the same circumstance.

Check the voltage to the bulb socket. Too high too low, trace back to look for problem.

Intermittent shorting, in the bulb socket? Is the socket clean, free of rust, does the bulb fit correctly? Too loose or too tight?

Bulb quality, are you using a good bulb in the first place? Maybe just try a different brand.

Is the light being subjected to any abnormal vibration, is the receptacle tight, nothing loose.

Is there any reason for excess heat in the light fixture, weep holes if any plugged? Etc

Is the voltage constant any surging at the fixture?
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 04:46 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockx View Post
I read thru your earlier thread. Does anything else come on when you turn your porch light on, inside step light, door handle light, etc.?

If yes, then perhaps your porch light is wired in series. If another light is wired in series then the excess current thru your porch light would blow the bulb prematurely.
That is odd ... I think it's time to get out the meter and check the voltage at the socket.
Old 11-10-2013, 05:28 AM   #6

More info would certainly help... What type of bulb? Bayonet style? If so 1156? 1142? I have not run across this very often on customer's coaches, but I've always been able to solve it by replacing the fixture itself. It is my understanding that as the sockets (if bayonet style) not only supply the 12v negative it also acts as a heat sink to draw heat away from the base of the bulb and to maintain a more even "cooling down" between the base and glass seal - as the glass cools substantially faster than the base which can cause the seal to be compromised, and poof, the filament breaks.

An older fixture or one that is exposed to the elements can oxidize enough to still pass the ground to the bulb but not make good enough physical contact to the base to help equalize the cooling down process.
Old 11-10-2013, 06:10 AM   #7

I replaced all of the bulbs regularly used in my rig with LED equivelents a few years ago and havent had a single bulb fail since then. LEDs run much cooler than incandescent bulbs and conserve power when boondocking too. Just figure out the base type and search Amazon or your favorite RV parts supplier. If you want to venture into the more elaborate LED layouts such as flat panels then also measure the maximum dimensions that will fit in the fixture with cover installed.
Old 11-10-2013, 06:22 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
Hey Dick, not familiar with what's been happening ... can you reiterate ... what does "won't last" mean? What happens after 4-5 hours?
The bulb burns out. I just measured the voltage at about 11.6. It is on the low side so the current May be too high.
Old 11-10-2013, 06:25 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockx View Post

It must be wired in parallel because when the light is burned out the handle is still lit.
Old 11-10-2013, 06:27 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by njs42 View Post
Interesting. In ten years of intermittent usage, sometime leaving mine on all night I have only replaced the bulb once. I can only share what I would check in the same circumstance.

Check the voltage to the bulb socket. Too high too low, trace back to look for problem.

Intermittent shorting, in the bulb socket? Is the socket clean, free of rust, does the bulb fit correctly? Too loose or too tight?

Bulb quality, are you using a good bulb in the first place? Maybe just try a different brand.

Is the light being subjected to any abnormal vibration, is the receptacle tight, nothing loose.

Is there any reason for excess heat in the light fixture, weep holes if any plugged? Etc

Is the voltage constant any surging at the fixture?
Good ideas. I will try them.
Old 11-10-2013, 07:43 AM   #11

I ordered some LED lights to see if that will solve it.
Old 11-10-2013, 07:58 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
That is odd ... I think it's time to get out the meter and check the voltage at the socket.
If my theory holds any water the voltage would not be any greater, the extra load on the bulb filament would be what was blowing the bulb.
Old 11-10-2013, 08:09 AM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
LED RV Porch light, Cool White - RV-LED.com

Motion Activated Security Light - 12v for RV - PPL Motor Homes

Could be time for one of these.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 03:19 PM   #14

Nor'easters Club
On a D.C. incandescent bulb, low voltage will only result in a dim light and will have no impact on current (think about the dashboard dimmer in your car). Are you sure your using 12v bulbs? If so, the failure may be due to an overheating condition from either a higher wattage bulb being used or a condition like 94-Newmar described.

Lou
05 TS Envoy
sailor_lou is offline   Reply With Quote