Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Travel Supreme Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2015, 01:22 PM   #1

Relay for 'Main Power' switch

I have a 2004 Travel Supreme DSO3 40' 400ISL

While doing some electrical work in the coach I had reason to believe that I could have a bad relay controlled by the "main power" switch by the front door. As it turns out it was a faulty switch but it got me wondering WHERE the relay it for that switch. One of those things that would be good to know if it really did go out.

Thanks!

Keith
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2015, 05:21 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
On my TS there’s a small compartment next to the battery compartment. If I remember right (not even thinking about going to look with it -2º) you have to lift a panel inside to see it. It looks like a Ford starter solenoid.
GaryM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 05:33 PM   #3

Spartan Chassis
Keith, here's a link to a previous discussion that should answer your question.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f274/12-v...ss-187476.html
If it doesn't help come on back and some of the smart guys will post shortly!
2023 F-150 Towed
rag_ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 08:23 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies!! That link was very helpful.

I know I've seen the "power boost" solenoid in that compartment. I'll look again to see if I see the Ford look-a-like one.

Sounds like that switch by the door is a common problem. My switch was flaky and I swapped it for the one next to it.
Old 01-07-2015, 04:57 AM   #5

Main (House) power solenoid

On my 05 T-S the main power solenoid is mounted on the back wall of the rear pass -through storage area. The back wall of this compartment separates the storage areas from the utility compartment and waste/water tanks.

There are two solenoids mounted on the back wall. One is the house power solenoid and the second is a run/battery boost solenoid.

The power switch by the entry door turns the house power relay on and off. The run/battery boost relay connects the house batteries with the vehicle batters to charge the house batteries with the alternator while the engine is running. It also connects the house and vehicle batteries when you hold down the "Battery Boost" button.

On my T-S the house solenoid is the one on the right (passenger's side).
These two solenoids are made for continuous duty. The look different than a typical intermittent duty i.e. start solenoid like the one used by Ford.

Your original solenoid would have been a White-Rogers Type 586-105111-3

Currently, motorhome manufacturer's are using a Trombetta solenoid 114-1211-020 (Trombetta calls it a solenoid in their catalog). This is a direct replacement for the White-Roger's solenoid.
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 05:26 AM   #6

Disconnect relays usually look like this (having a latching function):
Old 01-07-2015, 08:16 AM   #7

Nor'easters Club
I know on mine both solenoids are side-by-side in the hidden compartment next to the batteries below the inverter. I believe an 04 40DS03 would be the same configuration. Good luck.
sailor_lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 08:31 AM   #8

i have the same set up in my 03 40ds03 side by side in the compartment with the inverter......which solenoid operates the house and which one operates the battery boost?
mmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 09:04 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Question: When you operate your switch do you hear a "CLUNK".

If so: trace it, that's the relay clunking.
Old 01-07-2015, 09:06 AM   #10

Nor'easters Club
On mine, the White-Roger Model 586-105111, which IIRC was on the left, is the battery boost solenoid. If you follow the cable leaving the solenoid you'll see it goes back out to the chassis batteries.

The smaller one with the auto reset circuit breaker (Buss Hi-Amp Model 181120F) in line with it is the house solenoid.

They both will click when energized, but you'll need a second person to stand there to verify which is which. If you have a voltmeter just measure the coil voltage (the two small wires on the side).
sailor_lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 10:33 AM   #11

FWIW A pretty reliable bet is that the cutoff relay is connected to the positive terminal of the main battery by at a couple of feet of heavy cable. Follow it and you will find it. The reason they use the relay is to avoid running long lengths of heavy cable. Worst case is it at the panel. ;-)
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 01:34 PM   #12

When you operate the "Boost" switch ONE of those solenoids will pick ... have someone listen to it and put a finger on it ... you can hear it and feel it. That's the boost/BIRD solenoid. The other one(s) are for house or chassis disconnect ("salesman switch(s)").

Tags
power