RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Travel Supreme Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-14-2018, 01:16 PM   #1

Nor'easters Club
Satellite TV Antenna

What's everyone using for a replacement satellite TV antenna these days? My TS (and probably every other TS out there) was supplied from the factory with a King Dome Model 9702. I don't know if the previous owner ever had it working, but it has never been able to lock onto a satellite since I've owned it (9 years).

In any case, I just started looking into a replacement. I currently have DIRECTV at home, but I am thinking about switching over to DISH, due to some extremely poor customer service experiences I recently had with them. Is there an antenna out there that will work with both companies? I don't need it to function on the move, but do want something that will find and lock on automatically when we park.

Any good experiences/recommendations out there in TS land?

Thx,

Lou

sailor_lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2018, 01:36 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I'm having good success with a Winegard Pathway X2. Got it and a small tripod a few years ago, when I got tired of fighting the roof-mounted dome on my Itasca anytime I parked within a half-mile of a tree.

The Pathway X2 takes about 15-20 minutes to unpack and setup after I get parked. I have Dish Network in the RV. The antenna locks onto all three satellites.

Instructions say to use maximum 50-foot cable between antenna and receiver. I have a 100-foot cable that I've used when parking in deep woods, and it works fine.

When I had the Itasca, it didn't have an external receptacle for satellite, so I used the Cable receptacle, and rewired it inside to go to the Dish receiver rather than the BOMB. Worked OK, most of the time. Sometimes it wouldn't find one satellite.

My current coach has a satellite receptacle, along with cable receptacle, in the electrical compartment at the driver's side, rear. Most of the time, I use my 25-foot cable connected to the Pathway X2, and connected to the SAT receptacle. Works good.

I don't have any experience with Direct TV. We have Dish at home, and in the motorhome. When we're not traveling, as in the winter, I call Dish and they turn the motorhome receiver off. When we're ready to travel, I call Dish and they turn it back on, and charge me $7 per month. I'm satisfied with the service.

gfs1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 01:49 PM   #3

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor_lou View Post
What's everyone using for a replacement satellite TV antenna these days? My TS (and probably every other TS out there) was supplied from the factory with a King Dome Model 9702. I don't know if the previous owner ever had it working, but it has never been able to lock onto a satellite since I've owned it (9 years).

In any case, I just started looking into a replacement. I currently have DIRECTV at home, but I am thinking about switching over to DISH, due to some extremely poor customer service experiences I recently had with them. Is there an antenna out there that will work with both companies? I don't need it to function on the move, but do want something that will find and lock on automatically when we park.

Any good experiences/recommendations out there in TS land?

Thx,

Lou
Lou..
I thought the King Dome that was on mine was a POS as well.. I was never able to get it to work either.. I have a Wiengard Travler but am a Direct customer.. I also use Direct at home... BUT I use my home equipment in my coach when we travel... No Issues.. I use a wireless Genie system as the cabling in my coach was an absolute mess and I or a couple of "Professionals" could figure it out.. It works very well.. It even locks on to signals when behind light tree limbs.. There is a different model that is dish compliant I think it just uses a different LNB...
I use the Main Genie with DVR and 3 mini's.. One (The Main) in the front TV.. A Mini on the mid ship TV am Mini on the Bedroom and another mini on The TV we have in the basement.. I had to install a "Bridge" That makes the system "Wireless" am
nd bought extra power inserters that power the mini's and just leave them in place..
I also have permanent East and West coast network access due to an anomaly here where I live.. That was back in the days before locals were available over satellite... Long story.. So I really don't even bother trying to get locals when I travel.. I just use the east or west coast access when we travel for DVR shows... And yes.. I an watch up to 5 different shows or record at the same time... So every TV can watch something different or watch a recorded show..
Hope that didn't muddy the water too much..
BTW. It takes me less than 15 minutes to move the system from house to coach or back.. The travler has been goo (About 4 years) and locks on in a few minutes...
Ron
04 Travel Supreme 40DS04
rhusak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 02:58 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I installed a Winegard PlayMaker Dual antenna a little more than a month ago (here). No complaints yet - I've been parked in the woods.
JFNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 03:03 PM   #5

Spartan Chassis
Lou,
I feel your pain with the King"dumb"! I have one I would give someone if they would pick it up!

We have been using a Trav'ler since 2015 and have been pleased with it. It connects unless we are under heavy tree cover. If the tree cover is sparse we hook up through the leaves. We were able to run the wires from the roof through the same passages that the KingDome was using. No new holes were drilled. The main drawback to the Trav'ler is, as you said, it will not receive both DirecTV and DISH with the same hardware. You will have to choose between one or the other.

There are a lot of folks happy with RF Mogul. I know nothing about that system.

We are DirecTV customers and also not real happy with their customer service since AT&T bought them. We also move our home genie box between the RV and the house. We have been able to get locals when on the road by having them change our location zip code. We have had no problems with suspending our DirecTV service for 6 months while in Alaska where the signal is not available.

Here is a link to a good discussion: What is the best satellite dish for Class A
Spartan Mountain Master
rag_ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 03:27 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you want HD, then no. There are no dishes that will receive both. Due to the location of the sat and bands used they take different dishes and receivers.
With SD there are some Winegard that can be switched but you have to go on the roof to do it.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 07:59 PM   #7

I have the one that came on my 2003 TS when new. It was Dish when I got it and I switched it to Direct TV and have had no problems with it. It usually takes about 3 minutes it find the Satellite.
edyktz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 10:43 AM   #8

I installed a roof mound Trav'ler a couple of years ago in place of the KingDome. We are full timers & use Direct TV & LOVE IT. We had some Customer Service Issues when AT&T first took over but those seem to be a thing of the past.

If we are going to be in an area for more than a day we just call in to change our SERVICE address (you have to know your address & zip code) in order to get our "local channels" but it usually only takes about 15mins when we do that. Once we change we can travel about 150 - 200 miles (sometimes 400+) before we lose the local channels and have to do it again but it really is not a problem. Push 1 button & the antenna does all the setup takes 5 mins, 10 at most.

I did the install myself in about 3 hours & used the existing cable for the King Dome so there was no cutting into the roof. I did have to do some wire cutting & soldering but not to difficult if you're handy. If you need to ask questions send me a private message & I'll give you my phone#.
Hotblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 01:38 PM   #9

In many cases, just a recalibration of the KingDome gyros will fix lock on problems. Instructions in manual of available online at KingDome. I have to do it once in a while, seems they kind of get lost as to where it is. Always use the region settings for your local. Be sure you are in an open area ( no obstructions) before doing the reset. You can also call Kingdome and they will walk you through the procedure.
I have found that using while under way, confuses the system a bit and a reset is required.
Mine still works fine as a backup to my old MotoSat that still works fine.
Old 06-25-2018, 07:07 PM   #10

Nor'easters Club
Thanks to all for your input. I have tried the recal. per the King Dome instructions with no success. I can hear when the antenna starts moving, but it always stops abruptly and sounds like something is jammed.

In any case, 99.99% of the time we are at a campground with cable, so we typically do not need satellite TV. However, this summer and probably most of next summer we are staying at a campground that doesn't have cable. We are staying there because it is about 4 miles from where we are building our new house so getting to the site during the construction phase will be easy. I have been working with Dish and they recommended the Tailgater Pro VQ4900. They have a package deal with the antenna and two receivers that is reasonably price so we are heading in that direction.

Thanks again to everyone for your input, this forum is the best.
Old 06-25-2018, 08:06 PM   #11

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Thanks to all for your input. I have tried the recal. per the King Dome instructions with no success. I can hear when the antenna starts moving, but it always stops abruptly and sounds like something is jammed.

In any case, 99.99% of the time we are at a campground with cable, so we typically do not need satellite TV. However, this summer and probably most of next summer we are staying at a campground that doesn't have cable. We are staying there because it is about 4 miles from where we are building our new house so getting to the site during the construction phase will be easy. I have been working with Dish and they recommended the Tailgater Pro VQ4900. They have a package deal with the antenna and two receivers that is reasonably price so we are heading in that direction.

Thanks again to everyone for your input, this forum is the best.
Lou..
Has the house construction gotten underway?

Lou..
Has the house construction gotten underway?
We are at Granby Colorado till wednesday then on to Steamboat...
When you coming out west?
Hope all is well with you now that you are both retired...
Good luck with the construction..
Ron Husak
04 Travel Supreme 40DS04
Old 06-26-2018, 06:59 AM   #12

Nor'easters Club
Hi ya Ron,

We "retirees" are doing just fine, thanks for asking. We are still not ready to put our current house on the market so we decided to delay things another 10 months or so. We sat down with the builder in NH and concluded this year we would get a majority of the site work completed, finish up clearing the lot, getting the driveway in, drilling the well, septic, power to the RV garage & temp. power to the house location. This way they could get a early start during the spring/mud season.

Not sure when we'll be doing any extended RV trips at this time, too many irons in the fire, but looking forward to the day we take an extended RV vacation. We have friends with a 5er in Norwood, CO (just outside of Telluride) so when we visit them I'll be banging on your door.

I hope all is well with you guys, take care.
Old 06-26-2018, 08:26 AM   #13

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Hi ya Ron,

We "retirees" are doing just fine, thanks for asking. We are still not ready to put our current house on the market so we decided to delay things another 10 months or so. We sat down with the builder in NH and concluded this year we would get a majority of the site work completed, finish up clearing the lot, getting the driveway in, drilling the well, septic, power to the RV garage & temp. power to the house location. This way they could get a early start during the spring/mud season.

Not sure when we'll be doing any extended RV trips at this time, too many irons in the fire, but looking forward to the day we take an extended RV vacation. We have friends with a 5er in Norwood, CO (just outside of Telluride) so when we visit them I'll be banging on your door.

I hope all is well with you guys, take care.
Lou..
Or I on yours.. We love that area.. Ouray and Telluride..
We stay at Ridgeway a really nice state park between the two..
Hurry on and get over here... We aren't getting any younger...
Ron
04 Travel Supreme 40DS04
Old 06-28-2018, 04:45 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to CruisinCondo
I had Direct TV for years, but got tired of them raising my rates every other month. I would call them and they would lower my rates for two months then back up again with less channels. The good news is they only charged me $7 a month extra for the RV and I have a winegard mini dome satellite antenna on the roof. I would lose my local channels from 400 to 1000 miles away and they would not let me give them a new address to get local programming. So, I fired them and now have Spectrum cable at my house and I tried Dish last summer with the Wally receiver from Camping World. It never worked after countless hours on the phone with Dish and Winegard. I finally cancelled Dish and now I just use over the air antenna when travelling. I upgraded my motorhome TV to a new digital model which receives high definition stations. While the mini dish from Winegard worked great for Direct TV on standard definition, it was not able to get high definition and it was very noticeable on the new TV. Both Dish and Direct TV have satellite antenna's that work great that are not nestled in a dome.

Tags
antenna, satellite, satellite tv