Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Travel Supreme Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2013, 06:11 PM   #1

Sherman Williams rep coming to look at my coach

I have a Sherman Williams paint rep coming to look at the "paint checking or thermal crazing" on my 06 TSS next week. OR, to see if it is possibly a wrong paint or application problem. I'm under the impression that either way he thinks there's a way to fix it with the proper bodywork, primer and paint? I'm anxious to get his opinion and suggestions. I'll pass them on after he looks at it.
Does anyone know the timelines of the bad Fiberglas panels? Like 2003-2008....?? Did it begin earlier than that? Were they still being used after 2008?
Jdaniel2509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2013, 07:14 PM   #2

I'm sorry I don't remember all the details, but my memory says that there was a problem with the Resin manufactured by one of the big chemical companies around the mid 2000's time frame. I could be off, but....... At that time I was doing a lot of fiberglass work on my old boat and was warned by my mentor about which Resin not to use. Again, i don't remember the details but it's someting you may want to talk to the Sherwin Williams guy about.
OldHatt45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:30 PM   #3

I still wonder if the bad resin sides can be sealed properly now. After 7 years you would think that they would no longer still be leaking gasses? I would like to think even if they were leaking at the beginning, at some point they would be fully cured. Being a boat guy does that make any sense? Seems like they couldn't leak forever.
Old 10-25-2013, 06:03 AM   #4

First you need to separate the terms "Leaking" and "Curing". I know it's a picky thing but it needs to be clear. Curing is the hardening of (in this context) Fiberglass. Leaking is (again in this context) holes in the fiberglass.

Fiberglass continues to cure "forever". It just keeps getting harder. Fiberglass will develop "blisters" even after 30 years if conditions are right and the original resin and hardener were somehow not mixed or applied correctly. Or if there was something wrong chemically with either component. Or if conditions are right. Most times this happens (in my experience) to the bottom of the boat. My boat was almost 30 years old and had small blisters develop (maybe the diameter of a pencil lead). They had to be ground with a dremel tool and let dry out for a couple of weeks and then they could be filled and smoothed and never happened again. Unless the blisters were really bad, there was never a chance of a leak. One other thing to note is that fiberglass has the actual fiberglass cloth embedded in the resin/hardener (epoxy) mixture. It could also be a case of the fiberglass cloth is/was defective somehow, which could set up a chemical reaction with the epoxy causing blisters. Or that the initial setup of the panel was not done correctly and had internal air bubbles that were not smoothed out and now the curing has reached a point where those air bubbles are now showing up due to the ongoing curing process.

So, the short answer to your question is Yes the fiberglass could still be off gassing and curing after 7 years. Can it be fixed? Yes. The only questions are how extensive is the problem? And what is it going to take money and timewise to fix the problem?

Last thing. This is harder to write about then it is to talk about it. LOL

Drew
OldHatt45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:57 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldHatt45 View Post
First you need to separate the terms "Leaking" and "Curing". I know it's a picky thing but it needs to be clear. Curing is the hardening of (in this context) Fiberglass. Leaking is (again in this context) holes in the fiberglass.

Fiberglass continues to cure "forever". It just keeps getting harder. Fiberglass will develop "blisters" even after 30 years if conditions are right and the original resin and hardener were somehow not mixed or applied correctly. Or if there was something wrong chemically with either component. Or if conditions are right. Most times this happens (in my experience) to the bottom of the boat. My boat was almost 30 years old and had small blisters develop (maybe the diameter of a pencil lead). They had to be ground with a dremel tool and let dry out for a couple of weeks and then they could be filled and smoothed and never happened again. Unless the blisters were really bad, there was never a chance of a leak. One other thing to note is that fiberglass has the actual fiberglass cloth embedded in the resin/hardener (epoxy) mixture. It could also be a case of the fiberglass cloth is/was defective somehow, which could set up a chemical reaction with the epoxy causing blisters. Or that the initial setup of the panel was not done correctly and had internal air bubbles that were not smoothed out and now the curing has reached a point where those air bubbles are now showing up due to the ongoing curing process.

So, the short answer to your question is Yes the fiberglass could still be off gassing and curing after 7 years. Can it be fixed? Yes. The only questions are how extensive is the problem? And what is it going to take money and timewise to fix the problem?

Last thing. This is harder to write about then it is to talk about it. LOL

Drew
Thanks for the good information! Mine actually looks just like the crows feet cracking on the hood of my 1977 Trans Am. It has the original laquer paint.
I've never seen a bubble on mine or anything else for that matter. It's just 1/4-3/4" cracks all over. It still seems like if it was gassing I would see something other than cracks. Of course I am no expert my any means. I've been in the car business for 35 years and seen every kind of paint issue. I just know nothing about fiberglas
Old 10-25-2013, 10:07 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sherman Williams is, from what I know, the best of the major paint companies (But then in fairness I have to say I used to work for 'em,,,Long time (40 years) ago). I think the rep they send out will figure it out and know what is possible and what is not..

Before Sherman Williams was printed on automotive paint cans there was a company called Dressler as best I recall.. Yup, that is Sherman Williams today. Do not recall if it was a "Division" (think it was) or a purchase, but they used to be the best auto-paint, and they are now Sherman Williams, Still ranked very high.. There may be a few specality companies that are better, but hey, Some folks with custom rides don't mind paying 200 for 50 worth of paint.