Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Travel Supreme Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2008, 08:43 AM   #1

Does anyone have experience with the assembly of the super slide motor to square tubing assembly? I have had trouble shearing pins, and the hole in the square tubing linking the drive motor to the slide out mechanism are wallowed out.

I would like to remove the square tubing and either beef it up or replace it. Can this be done without going in from underneath?

2019 Arctic Fox 27-5L
JSears is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2008, 08:43 AM   #2

Does anyone have experience with the assembly of the super slide motor to square tubing assembly? I have had trouble shearing pins, and the hole in the square tubing linking the drive motor to the slide out mechanism are wallowed out.

I would like to remove the square tubing and either beef it up or replace it. Can this be done without going in from underneath?

2019 Arctic Fox 27-5L
Old 11-19-2008, 10:25 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
You should be able to disconnect at both ends and slide it to remove it from the motor shaft. You could install another tube over the existing one and re-drill hole for the pin or bolt. Usually shearing of these if from lack of lubrication on both the slide mechanism and the room slide walls not having a good polish. Also treat the seals with a rubber conditioner to keep it pliable and from sticking to side walls of slideout.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 11:52 AM   #4

Thanks. The square tubing is only pinned on the motor end, and slides back and forth on the "behind the wall end". Its simple to get it off the motor drive shaft, but will I have to pull the motor AND the bracket the motor is attached to to get the square tubing out? Do you know the approximate length of the square tubing?

Our coach is a 2002 TS 36RLTSO and the slide that is giving me fits is the 15' Superslide.

I will certainly do some lubing as you suggested.

2019 Arctic Fox 27-5L
Old 11-26-2008, 05:25 AM   #5

JSears,

RV Wizard has the best answer to your problem. This is what I would do before trying to remove the tubing.
Tide Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 07:58 AM   #6

Thanks to both of you guys. I have installed a type 8 bolt with flats and locks, and will lube everything up when our weather permits.

It will be very difficult to work on the tubing without pulling it.

I am still trying to come up with a schematic of the assembly, but so far no response.

2019 Arctic Fox 27-5L
Old 11-30-2008, 10:17 AM   #7

The hole on my tubing has elongaed also.
Unable to come up with a schematic.I broke a shear pin and replaced with a Grade 8 bolt.
That worried me.Their musta been a reason to use a shear pin.I called several people including http://djspecialties and found that
Travel Supreme had started using larger shear pins(5/16).I ordered them and drilled out the motor shaft.Seems to be working OK.I need to lube the rubber on the slideout when we get a break in the weather.
I had no idea how 1/4 inch grade 8 bolt's shear
level would compare to the manufacturers shear pin..So I used the shear pin.I did put a washer on it because of the elongated hole on the square tubing.

2003 36'Travel Supreme 5er36RLQSO
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 11:41 AM   #8

How long have you been using the 5/16" pins? I looked at a newer model in a camp we were in, and did see that TS had beefed the assembly. I must admit, I am a bit nervous about drilling out the motor shaft, but that sure may be a viable alternative to the hard bolts.

2019 Arctic Fox 27-5L
Old 12-02-2008, 01:33 PM   #9

I have probably run the slide only about 6 or seven times with the new pins.Maybe 4 or 5 with the grade 8 bolt.
It would sure be nice if we could come up with a schematic,I,personally am not looking forward to cutting up the belly tin and exploring.
I have called the Ex TS people in Indiana(I've misplaced their name).They also advised to put in the 5/16 pins.They said drilling out the motor shaft was OK.
It is a little akward to get to,as I'm sure you know.I had the wife "bump" the motor with the tubing unhooked until the hole was where I could drill it out..Wasn't bad.
I didn't try to short out the controller as I was afraid I might screw that up.
Well good luck..You know the bolt might be OK,I just worried about why it needed a shear pin.
If I ever get any diagrams for these will post them or at least post where I purchased them.

2003 36'Travel Supreme 5er36RLQSO
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 11:26 AM   #10

I did screw up a controller the first time I sheared a pin. Oh well. I emailed both Supreme RV Service, and DS Specialties about a schematic, but I never heard back from either one of them. Of course, I offered to pay for the help. We're having way below zero weather here, so my RV Tech work is stopped for now.

2019 Arctic Fox 27-5L