Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Travel Supreme Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2018, 12:28 PM   #1

Slide Stuck!

Hi everyone,

I am brand new RV owner (1st day). I bought a 36’ class A Travel Supreme. I rolled out the drivers side (living room) slide and it will not retract. Does anyone know how to manually retract? The motor does have power but it makes a sound like clutch is slipping.
Denson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2018, 12:43 PM   #2

Are you following the procedure in your owners manual? On mine for example, the key must be in the ignition to extend or retract the slides. Yours may be different but the first step is to make sure you are following the correct procedure. Then start troubleshooting.
fpresto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 12:45 PM   #3

Are there slide locks to release before the motor will move the slide?
Old 01-21-2018, 12:51 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Welcome to the forum. I’ve moved your post to our Travel Supreme section to get some owner input. Good luck.
Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 12:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpresto View Post
Are you following the procedure in your owners manual? On mine for example, the key must be in the ignition to extend or retract the slides. Yours may be different but the first step is to make sure you are following the correct procedure. Then start troubleshooting.
I followed the manual and the instructions from the seller. It starts to retract then starts clicking real loud like clutch not catching.
Old 01-21-2018, 01:01 PM   #6

No slide locks
Old 01-21-2018, 01:36 PM   #7

Sometimes my slide sweeps get hung on the windows and they want let it come in.
Old 01-21-2018, 02:58 PM   #8

Just an idea as I had my living room slide go out and start to come in then stop. Motor keep doing what you described.

I used a flashlight and looked under the front of the slide, inside the coach, and found the slide was hitting, in three places, the fiberglass runner piece, the one the slide comes in on before leveling out.

I had to take a screw driver and chip the little lip off the fiberglass runner piece and never had a problem since.

This can happen if your coach isn't level or you haven't deployed your leveling legs to hold the coach steady. The frame can twist ever so slightly being out of level and cause this to happen.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-21-2018, 09:02 PM   #9

stuck slide

I had that same thing happen. I had to get a new motor. You can manually bring the slide in with 2 long screwdrivers and several people to bring it in. You will find a rod with a hole in each end in the lower compartment where the slide motor is. It will be a lot of work but can be done. I was at a rv park and I ordered a motor from the manufacturer and had it shipped to me and I put it in. Good luck.
edyktz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 07:11 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denson View Post
Hi everyone,

I am brand new RV owner (1st day). I bought a 36’ class A Travel Supreme. I rolled out the drivers side (living room) slide and it will not retract. Does anyone know how to manually retract? The motor does have power but it makes a sound like clutch is slipping.
No clutch...an electric controller starts & stops that motor. On my 06 TS, the slide controllers are all down under the driver in the small outside compartment ahead of the front wheel.

Does your problem slide go down a small ramp as it finishes going out? Mine does, so the lip inside is flush with the floor. Biggest slide, too.

That means it has that ramp to go up as it starts back in. Major electric load. I make sure I'm plugged into shore or genny running when I bring in that slide.

My controllers have a *very small* screw near where the plugs are, which adjusts the power the controller will send to that motor.

If you turn it clockwise *very slightly*, maybe just 1/8th of a turn, that might give your slide the power to go up the ramp. I lift & pull on my dining table to assist that initial effort.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:28 AM   #11

Thank you for the advice. I called Klauber (slide motor manufacturer) and described the event. They advised that these motors are direct drive and do not have a clutch. They said one of the gears is broken if it does what I said. They are shipping a new one today! Hope that cures it!
Old 01-23-2018, 09:07 PM   #12

Thank you everyone. I replaced the slide motor today and it is fixed. Hope to run into you at the parks!
Old 01-26-2018, 09:21 AM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I think what you experienced was similar to mine. Check my previous post on the topic. The drive great inside the motor transmission separates from the driven shaft. I, too, replaced the motor. I dismantled the old one and had the gear/shaft welded back. Now I have a spare. The manual retract on mine requires a couple 1" box-end wrenches or large adjustable wrenches to turn the tubular bars that drive the gears. If the motor fails, not the gearing, then the locking brake will still hold--you have to pull the pins on both sides of the motor so the tubes can turn. If the gears inside are the issue, then likely you can turn the tubes as the brake uses the gearing to keep the drive tubes from turning. Note, once retracted, if the braking mechanism is disabled (pins pulled or gearing stripped), you need to lock those tubes from turning or the slide can extend while driving. That can be done with slide locks or a pair of ViseGrips clamped onto the tubes in the bay. Glad you got your rig going.
f15epilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide