Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Travel Supreme Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2016, 03:14 PM   #1

Slideout adjustment

I need to adjust one of my rear slides. It is trying to push it out to far ( does not stop soon enough ). I can not remember which way to turn the set screw on the slide controller. Thanks in advance for your help.
Gary
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2016, 04:15 PM   #2

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by becks View Post
I need to adjust one of my rear slides. It is trying to push it out to far ( does not stop soon enough ). I can not remember which way to turn the set screw on the slide controller. Thanks in advance for your help.
Gary
Gary...
I am not sure that I can answer your question exactly...
The stops (I Believe) are washers on the threaded rods that are mounted to the slide and exposed when the slide is out.
The potentiometer you are refering too just shuts the motor off at it's limit when it hits the stop. To answer your question directly I believe clockwise increases the tension and counter clockwise to decrease. But as I said that isn't the stop.
There are two nuts and a couple of washers on each rod. Look for signs of the nuts coming loose and moving the stop points out.
Hope this helps.
Ron
04 Travel Supreme 40DS04 400 Cummins ISL
rhusak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 08:37 PM   #3

Thanks Ron, I am aware of the rod and lock nuts. Will give those a close look tomorrow.
Old 08-03-2016, 07:23 AM   #4

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by becks View Post
Thanks Ron, I am aware of the rod and lock nuts. Will give those a close look tomorrow.
Gary..
Hope that works out for you... Let us all know...
They don't give lots of people trouble so not much info out there..
Ron
04 Travel Supreme 40DS04 400 Cummins ISL
rhusak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 08:05 AM   #5

Nor'easters Club
Ron is correct, the slide travel is based on mechanical stops and the controller simply de-energizes power to the motor at the end of travel. What actually happens is when the slide reaches the end of travel (both extending and retracting), the motor is physically stopped, which results in an increase in motor current (locked rotor condition). The controller senses the increase in current and secures power to the motor. As you guys described, CW increases and CCW decreases the current trip setpoint. If set too low the slide will stop prematurely and if too high it will forced the motor hard against the stop, until the point where the fuse will blow.

I've never look at the setup closely, probably because I have never had any issues, but I believe as discussed the slide stopping points are based on the position of the nuts and washers on the threaded rod. The ones we see when the slide is extended are for the retracted position and I ASSUME there is a similar setup when the slide is fully extended. My rig is in it's garage up in NH so I cannot verify this, but will check it out the next time we go up there if you still do not have a resolution. Although I'm willing to bet one of the other "TS Pros" will jump in with their experience/knowledge before that. Good luck.
sailor_lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 11:53 AM   #6

Thanks Lou, I'm hoping to figure it out. What appears to happen is slide pushes out to far on bottom and tips the top in leaving a one inch plus gap on top inside bedroom.
Old 08-04-2016, 07:55 AM   #7

Nor'easters Club
Gary,

Are you sure it's not binding somewhere at the top or maybe the outward travel is limited by the length of the slide topper? I ask this because I would think the trim around the inside of the slide would limit it from going out too far on the bottom. Another thought may be to check the rollers on the floor. I don't know if they are adjustable, but if they are too low I would think you would have the same issue. If you stop the slide just short of full travel is the gap the same all the way up and down? Just my 0.02 worth.

Good luck and I'm interested in what you find.
Old 08-05-2016, 03:30 PM   #8

Location: Lake OZ,MO summer-RiverBend Motorcoach Resort,FL winter
The slides (in/out) are controlled by the controllers that are in elec. compartment outside under driver. The controllers have an adjustable torque limiter, similar to but unlike the preset torque limiter on the steps. Using a very small flat screw driver turn the screw clockwise to increase torque...counter clockwise to decrease. Should be marked with +/- arrows.
Old 08-05-2016, 07:53 PM   #9

Thanks Rob, I was pretty certain that was the case. Just could not remember which way to turn set screw.
Old 08-06-2016, 08:26 AM   #10

Location: Lake OZ,MO summer-RiverBend Motorcoach Resort,FL winter
If adjusting torque be sure to turn the screw ever-so-slightly...very slight adjustments, as you could pop trim, etc. if torque is too high.
Old 08-06-2016, 02:24 PM   #11

Thanks again Rob. I got it, tiny move at a time. Don't want to make things worse.
Old 08-08-2016, 07:13 PM   #12

I would like to add my two cents worth...The bedroom slide from what I can determine uses the pots to stall the motor out in both directions, i have looked and looked for mech adjustment and have not found it. Perhaps some one can point me in the right direction if I am incorrect. It is true the front slides use the all thread rods for the stop limits. The controllers under the first compartment all work with a right more tighty power setting and a counter clockwise lefty loosie turn takes more power out of it. One has to be careful not to set the limits to high, damage will result, less hurts nothing other than not being able to move the slide in or out...Good luck
Old 08-09-2016, 12:07 AM   #13

Spartan Chassis
Be very careful about adjusting the all thread stops or drive motor torque. Both adjustments are pretty sensitive. With what you have said so far it doesn't sound like a torque issue to me. As Lou said be very careful when adjusting the torque screw as those motors are strong enough to do damage.

Is it the bed or vanity slide that is giving you problems?

Suggest you not make any adjustments just yet until you are certain what the problem really is. Suggest doing a little more trouble shooting before changing things.
2023 F-150 Towed
rag_ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 09:13 AM   #14

Nor'easters Club
Good point about which rear slide are we talking about. On mine, the passenger's side (cabinet/vanity) is similar to the front two with the motor and the threaded rod in the basement, but the driver's side mechanism is all contained below the bed. I've never looked at what stops the motor travel on the that slide.

Tags
slide, slideout