RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Travel Supreme Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-03-2009, 07:51 AM   #1

When i started my t/s 42ft isl-400hp the stop engine came on Have anyone experance this problem if so Sue and I would like your help.

aliza46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2009, 09:24 AM   #2

Call Cummins

turbo24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 11:08 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Do you have any additional symptions to report? The stop engine light can mean a multitude of problems. Do you detect something diferent:
1. Noise
2. Smell
3. How long does it run before shutting down?
4. If restarted does it run the same amount of time before shutting down?
5. Anything else you notice that is different.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 01:02 PM   #4
doc

Appalachian Campers
Suggest you make sure oil is OK before restarting.
Look at your settling bowl on fuel system, sounds like it might have taken a drink of water.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 02:25 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Did the engine shutdown or was it just the check/stop engine light that came on?

That will happen if you have low oil or colant level. Make sure the coach is parked on fairly level ground and check the oil and get a good look at the coolant tank. Happened to me not too long ago on an ISB. Coolant was low because the line to the HWH was removed to get to the check valves and the coolant wasn't topped off.

Doc also has a good point, have you bled out the fuel/water seperator?
lthrnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 02:31 PM   #6

Thanks everyone for your input I think I have fix the problem. However I will take it to cummins for them to check it out. What I think was the problem was low ride fluid along with low anti-freeze, I had the engine running for 30min and no problem. Before it would come on in 2min. Once again think everyone
Old 01-10-2009, 01:49 PM   #7

Cummins ordinarily has two reporting lights, a red Stop Engine light and a yellow Check Engine light. Each means what it says, and the color is indicative as well. The Stop warning happens when the ECM senses a condition that, if continued, would trash the engine. Check is for situations where the engine can continue running w/out ruining itself (mostly issues that may produce out-of-smog-reg exhaust). Beyond the warnings, there are levels of problem indicators (engine temp above ~225 IIRC, etc.) leading ECM to default to limp mode where the engine will be limited in its output until condition is corrected. Again IIRC these thresholds involve programming some of which is rig mfg'r ordered, i.e. not all mfg'rs adopt all limp mode/shut down recommendations, based on their ideas on operator needs & abilities.
There is another yellow light with new particulate filter engines for motorhomes (07 engine builds & later) that lights when the ECM fires up the particulate burning cycle and exhaust reaches 1100 degrees for 20 minutes of highway driving or so; that one has an odd look to it & no text.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:13 PM   #8

Well i thought that i had fix the problem but the stop engine light is back. The coach is at cummins for them to check. We bought the coach in aug. as new and all ready having major problem? I notice that all the Gages were normal
Old 01-20-2009, 11:02 PM   #9
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Sorry to hear that it is in the shop. Hopefully it is not a bad thing and it could be a good thing while under warranty. Good luck and keep us posted.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 03:17 AM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We had the stop engine light come on and the engine shut down on us - while doing 55mph. Fortunately, I had purchased VMSpc, a computer program that can run on a laptop and read the data flowing on the chassis harness. I bought it specifically to address situations like the stop engine light because it captures the diagnostic codes that the ECM and other components set. Using the captured information and help from this forum, I was discovered that the exhaust brake solenoid was reflecting an electrical spike back into the ECM. I bought and installed a diode pack from Freightliner that had been designed specifically for this defect. Total cost $27.

My idea was that you never know when such problems are going to develop. We run Delorme's Street Atlas GPS program on the laptop anyway and partitioning the screen to show 2/3s of Street Atlas and 1/3 of VMSpc allows me to monitor functions like turbo boost for which there are no gauges on the driver's console every time we drive. At about $400, VMSpc isn't cheap but I felt like it saved me at least $400 on my stop engine problem alone. I've also used it to repair a highly intermittent speedometer failure. As far as I'm concerned, it is has paid for itself several times over.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 08:36 AM   #11

Will i sent the t/s to cummins northwest and the problem is a coolent leak at this time they do not know where hope they find it soon as we are planning a trip to Reno.
Old 02-07-2009, 07:18 AM   #12

We got our t/s back from the shop and everything is working well, the problem was a bad coolant temp sensor and a power steering pump leak. Spartan chassis paid the hold thing.
Old 02-08-2009, 12:29 AM   #13
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Glad to hear that you have it back, all is good and it was covered by Spartan warranty!

06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is online now   Reply With Quote