Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Travel Supreme Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2015, 10:06 PM   #1

Spartan Chassis
Stress Crack

Hi All..
Today while giving my baby a much needed bath at Lake Havasu after my drive down in ice and snow I saw for the first time crack radiating at the front lower corner (not quite the corner) out about 4 inches.. I would have expected a stress crack to come from a corner. It is on the drivers side slide at the forward lower corner.
I was shocked to see it..
Has anyone else experienced this. I am going to drill a hole at the leading edge of the crack to stop the stress and use a sealer in the crack and hole.. I hope that stops it.. I don't know what caused it and have never noted it starting before. And I watch for such stuff..
Don't know what the proper permanent repair would be.. In any case at least 3 colors and a rather large area to match. Can't understand what would cause that much stress..
Ron
04 Travel Supreme 40DS04 400 Cummins ISL
rhusak is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2015, 06:07 AM   #2

Ron. We have a 2008 42' Envoy and a crack has developed at the lower back corner of the drivers window radiating rearward. It is approximately 3" long and seems to have stopped at this point. Stop drilling sounds like a possible way of stopping it from cracking more. That method is used on airplanes all the time. Can you post a picture? I will next time I am at the coach. Thanks. Larnie.
Larnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 10:08 AM   #3

Spartan Chassis
Hi All....
Hopefully the pictures uploaded..
Not even from the corner of the opening.. Not hit by anything.. What do you think?
Ron
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0001.JPG
Views:	195
Size:	125.6 KB
ID:	85059   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0002.JPG
Views:	195
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	85060  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0003.JPG
Views:	179
Size:	147.3 KB
ID:	85061  
Old 02-03-2015, 01:50 PM   #4

Ron,
Is it possible that at some time, (unknown to you) that something obstructed the travel of the slide? Maybe inside or internally? The reason I ask is because the slide motors are very strong and if mal adjusted, will just keep winding and pushing, until they reach the resistance setting that has been chosen.
The slide controllers have an adjustment dial on them, which sets a limit on the resistance that makes them stop (in or out)
Just a thought based on first glance at the pics.
Jeff
La-Z-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 03:42 PM   #5

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by La-Z-Boy View Post
Ron,
Is it possible that at some time, (unknown to you) that something obstructed the travel of the slide? Maybe inside or internally? The reason I ask is because the slide motors are very strong and if mal adjusted, will just keep winding and pushing, until they reach the resistance setting that has been chosen.
The slide controllers have an adjustment dial on them, which sets a limit on the resistance that makes them stop (in or out)
Just a thought based on first glance at the pics.
Jeff
Jeff.. Maybe so.. It's never happened in the 3 years I have owned it. I would have noticed the crack long time ago.. I watch that kind of stuff closely..
Ron
Old 02-04-2015, 07:12 AM   #6

Has your coach been cross braced?
jerryhawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 07:44 AM   #7

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryhawkins View Post
Has your coach been cross braced?
Jerry..
No it hasn't.. No windshield issues or any others.. Why would it take 11 years to exhibit itself?
Ron
Old 02-04-2015, 07:49 PM   #8

I can't tell - but it looks like this is the front of the back bedroom slide because it is up so high. If so - I think some of the coaches get x-bracing right in front of the back axle because this is a stress point. I have no idea if this assumption is true in your case OR if this area is subject to stress - but I think an x brace does get positioned in this area on the chassis on at least a tandem. A windshield problem maybe wouldn't be developed from the back part twisting. If this is up front. You probably will see some type of problem over time. My guess - with that much movement to cause a stress fracture - it may get worse. It is obvious this is not just a cosmetic trim piece cracking - but more of the wall structure moving, Did you go over a railroad crossing or something to cause a sudden twist movement? After time....just like our own bodies....the frame work starts to sag and is subject to weakening....anyway good luck. Is there any floor stress in side?
DA_BUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 07:52 PM   #9

Does the top part of the crack by the edge looked "pinched together" or is it spreading apart....that kind of tells were the pressure is coming from.
DA_BUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 08:45 AM   #10

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by DA_BUS View Post
Does the top part of the crack by the edge looked "pinched together" or is it spreading apart....that kind of tells were the pressure is coming from.
Nope.. It is definitely spread from the top..
Old 02-05-2015, 08:57 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Looks like the infamous Tiffin crack. I have the exact same thing in the exact same place on my Allegro RED. I put a bead of silicone in it to prevent any water damage, but it hasn't changed any in the last year so.....
Old 02-05-2015, 04:38 PM   #12

Spartan Chassis
Hi All..
Well I talked with Paul today at Precision Paint about my crack.. He says they fix them all the time. But a repair to the area WILL NOT hold.. He said they use some sort of a urethane strip that is painted to match and isn't at all noticeable. He said a repair would
NOT hold. He said T/S didn't have enough strength in that area. It may well have occurred this time when I leveled when we got here..
Ron
Old 02-05-2015, 05:04 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
2007 Alante Same problem. Stress crack beginning at the lower front of the DS bedroom slide. Noticed about four years ago when it was about 4 inches. Nothing happened until recently it has grown to about 8 inches. Looks like I may have a significant repair coming.

I might add that I have over 120K miles on it.

Dave
dcphil_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 05:16 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Tiffin uses the same repair. It's not uncommon and IMO this can be permantly repaired but would be costly. Slide removed West epoxies combined with Kevlar laminates and other materials. Like I said costly.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote