Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Travel Supreme Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2019, 10:05 AM   #29

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor_lou View Post
Ron,

Here is a pic of the Water Heater Inlet and Bypass in the "normal" lineup as viewed through the small door in the basement compartment. Hope this helps.
Hey Lou..
How goes the house project?
Thanks for the picture... Does that mean that the valves would be in the opposite position to be bypassed?
Any travel in your near future plans?
Ron
04 Travel Supreme 40DS04 400 Cummins ISL
rhusak is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2019, 10:56 AM   #30

Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhusak View Post
Hey Lou..
How goes the house project?
Thanks for the picture... Does that mean that the valves would be in the opposite position to be bypassed?
Any travel in your near future plans?
Ron
Ron,

Correct, in the "Bypass Mode" the inlet (lower valve) handle swings up, which isolates the heater inlet and points towards the Tee handle valve. The Tee Handle valve, which is the actual bypass valve, is then reposition
to be inline with the tubing and connects to the heater outlet. I hope that makes sense.

We finally finished the work on our current house, the realtor is bringing the photographer this week and hopefully we'll get it listed soon. It is pretty late in the year, but the realtor recommended we still list it, at least until the snow flies. After that buyers typically give up until the spring. Earlier this year we decided not to start new construction until we sell first because I want to be onsite during construction. So with a little luck we'll get the place sold and break ground first thing in the spring. We plan on living in the RV during construction and have a seasonal site that is only 5 miles away. This will take up most of the summer so our travel next year will most likely be limited.

I hope all is well with you.
sailor_lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 11:22 AM   #31

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor_lou View Post
Ron,

Correct, in the "Bypass Mode" the inlet (lower valve) handle swings up, which isolates the heater inlet and points towards the Tee handle valve. The Tee Handle valve, which is the actual bypass valve, is then reposition
to be inline with the tubing and connects to the heater outlet. I hope that makes sense.

We finally finished the work on our current house, the realtor is bringing the photographer this week and hopefully we'll get it listed soon. It is pretty late in the year, but the realtor recommended we still list it, at least until the snow flies. After that buyers typically give up until the spring. Earlier this year we decided not to start new construction until we sell first because I want to be onsite during construction. So with a little luck we'll get the place sold and break ground first thing in the spring. We plan on living in the RV during construction and have a seasonal site that is only 5 miles away. This will take up most of the summer so our travel next year will most likely be limited.

I hope all is well with you.
Lou..
Thanks for the quick reply..
I assume you must have selected a builder and all then...
What you said makes perfect sense... Thanks for the instructions...
Is all well... Well about as good as it gets with my back as bad as it is.. But we are going to Arizona in January don't know how many more times we will be able to... We are in the midst of getting the house restained.. Hope they can get it done before the snow comes again this coming weekend.. Gotta love Colorado... It's supposed to be in the 60's all week before...
Take care and good luck on the sale...
Ron
Old 10-24-2019, 04:04 PM   #32

MoMule

Quote:
Hi all..
Some of you may have followed my threads about a blown air bag that wasn't allowing the coach to level.
Well a number of weeks ago I ordered a front and a rear back for just this type of situation. AS you know you can't move one of these puppies with the suspension down.
Well I found a mobile heavy truck roadside repair business who agreed to come up to my home at 9200 feet on a gravel road to do this. Fortunately I have a concrete drive so that wasn't an issue.. Would have been a lot worse if this had happened while we were on the road.
Well the tech had the old one out in pretty short order and I went into my garage to retrieve the spare.
I brought out the replacement and it didn't match!!! Can you imagine my feeling.. The tech said no way this would work.... I was frantic... The house was supposed to start being painted today and I really wanted the coach to be away while that was happening...
I ordered the parts by VIN from Spartan so I know they should be a fit. They have a build card on every one... Well it was later on a friday afternoon so I couldn't call. My tech was running all over looking for a match with the old bag.. Naturally all the numbers were worn away... He thought that he may have found a match but it would have to me shipped in 3 or 4 days... What choice did I have...
Well bright and early Monday MOrning I got on the phone ready to rip someones head off at Spartan. I got ahold of Lloyd in RV Chassis parts and told him what had happened. He was flabbergasted.. He checked and rechecked and said they had the right number . The only thing he could think of is someone pulled the wrong bag... Well I did as asked and when I got there I almost **** myself! I had given the tech the front bag as the replacement for the rear one! I was crushed... How stupid.
Well there is a saying about an education costs a lot and a good education really costs a lot. The nice man said it happens and he gave me a break on the wheel spinning. He only charged me 3 hours for all the running around which was probably 1/2 of what it should be.. Lesson really learned...
For your general information here are the proper numbers..
Front Firestone # W01-755-9966 Spartan # 1919-004-001
Rear Firestone W01-358-9825 Spartan # 27873388
I would recommend that if you plan on ordering these check the on line stores as the are at least $75 cheaper each with free shipping. That makes them almost a $100 less than ordering from Spartan
Now for my "pulling the plug statement... I then decided to winterise the coach as we are turning very cold and will have snow on Thursday... Normally (yeah right) it is a pretty straight forward deal. I drain the hot water tank and use compressed air to blow out the lines...Then pump red pop antifreeze to further protect the system. But Oh No... I could not for the life of me remember the proper positions of the water line valves to do this.. I made a ell of a mess covering myself and the wet bay with antifreeze! I think I finally have it figured out but it's taking a hell of a lot of antifreeze to fill the lines and fixtures. I have used 4 gallons so far and still don't have enough... Does anyone have a diagram of the line valves and the positions they should be in. Also for the hot water bypass?
. Also from the That is where my comment about "Pulling the plug" comes from.
With these 2 botch ups on simple things I wonder if my 75 years (Birthday is on the 21st) might be time to think about giving up our beloved lifestyle...
We are due to leave for Arizona right after the 1st of the year so we will see if that goes any better.
Any nsight any of you can give will be most appreciated..
BTW I have an 04 TS n\model 40DS04.
Thanks
Ron
Of course it depends on your overall health condition but 75 is too early to pull the plug. I turned 90 last June and still have our Dolphin 434.
MoMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 04:50 PM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Yoders2Go
Are you taking your coach to AZ? I'd leave it plugged in with a little heat in the basement, if you are.
If not, make a list of what, and how to winterize and open. Maybe even one for set up and break down. If not done often, it's easy to forget! Don't be so hard on yourself.
Yoders2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 07:01 PM   #34

Spartan Chassis
Guys..
Thanks for the replies!
We got a foot of snow overnight and 10 degree temps.. It is fully winterized.. Finally figured it all out with help of the list.. Slowly came back to me.. But sucked 5 gallons of antifreeze into it before I remembered the hot water tank by pass.... Sigh!
Yes, we are planning for Arizona again this winter (January) for 4 months.. Looking forward to it if I can get through all my medical stuff...
Coach looks like an ice berg outside now....
Ron
Old 10-24-2019, 07:59 PM   #35

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Hi all..
Any nsight any of you can give will be most appreciated..
BTW I have an 04 TS n\model 40DS04.
Thanks
Ron
Dip a little deeper into your kids inheritance and pay to have your maintenance done. At 75 you've earned it. I still do mine but if Im still up to the RV life at 75, I will be a lot less worried about what I leave behind and enjoy watching someone else do the work while I have a cup of coffee and check out what the grand kids are up to on face book. Or cruise the IRV2 forums....

If you can still drive it, keep it up, and let someone else bust their knuckles and deal with parts and procedures.
And in the spirit of full disclosure, here’s my two screwups from the last trip:
1. Parked in an RV park site at night, told the DW the slide would clear, walked off in the dark to pay for the site, came back and the slide was into a tree. The paint is chipped and the slide was tweaked and wouldn't close square. Fortunately someone here gave me the info to fix it and all is well now (except for the paint).
2. Was sure I heard all four jacks go up (clunk) and didn't check them. Well naturally one wasn't all the way up, I caught it in dip, and bent the mount. Did a temporary fix on the road and will do it right now that Im home.

So, Im 61 and doing stuff like this - you are doing just fine!
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 08:11 PM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasrs View Post
Ron,

The next time you're on the road, with light traffic, beautiful landscapes and a favorable tail-wind, all of your concerns today will be forgotten.
Life is good. Look ahead.

I can hardly wait for retirement; and I'm older that you.

Ray
X2!

My son had a lot of tire issues on his 5th wheel,, then rodent issues, then his wire loom from his truck to his pin box caught fire while we were on the road (I was behind him and advised on the radio “Jayco you are on fire - this is not a drill”)

So he said “thats it, I quit!” Well first, he was only 40, and second we were on Vancouver Island, so he couldn't quit. Just a bad day. All is well now and he still loves the RV life - he’s the one that got me into it. So now its a family thing and I wont give up until they take my license away.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 08:44 PM   #37

OK, boats again. I've had boat customers who forgot the proper valve settings for winterization and I offered (and installed) paint lines for summer and winter position. It should not take 4 gals of A/F to winterize your system, so you may be filling your hot water tank. No worries, but it'll take a bit to flush all that out next spring.
Do NOT pull the plug! It's an adventure, these stories will give you something to relate around the campfire!
Look forward to seeing you on the road.
Bob '24 Winnebago 37F Adventurer; Jeep Toad
bobfrommaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 08:31 AM   #38

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfrommaine View Post
OK, boats again. I've had boat customers who forgot the proper valve settings for winterization and I offered (and installed) paint lines for summer and winter position. It should not take 4 gals of A/F to winterize your system, so you may be filling your hot water tank. No worries, but it'll take a bit to flush all that out next spring.
Do NOT pull the plug! It's an adventure, these stories will give you something to relate around the campfire!
Look forward to seeing you on the road.
Bob '24 Winnebago 37F Adventurer; Jeep Toad
Yeah.. As I said I realized that was too much antifreeze and had a DUH... MOment when I realized it... But I have to admit not the first time I have done it! First time I pumped 8 gallons in!!!!
I will not give it up.. I really enjoy the lifestyle.. It was a bad time.. Had some medical stuff going on and lots of back pain which is a constant anymore...
But, will try to hang in... Not really an issue to have someone do the work.. Just don't know any I really trust... Can't go to Pauls everytime...
But thanks for all replies.. Just can't believe I am 75 already!!!
Ron
Old 10-25-2019, 08:36 AM   #39

Pull the plug ....... very little/nothing should drain if the valve is in the right position.....
sturgisguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 10:34 AM   #40

FWIW

Pex will expand when frozen and will not rupture. However the fittings..They will burst when frozen. Just something to think about. MOMCAT
momcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 09:26 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by momcat View Post
Pex will expand when frozen and will not rupture. However the fittings..They will burst when frozen. Just something to think about. MOMCAT
The fittings will not burst if there is space to expand down the pipe because there isn't pressure / full of water anymore. It doesn't take a lot of expansion when there's only a little bit of water here and there still in the pipe. I know - I've been doing this for years and have had no failures at all.
Old 10-28-2019, 09:33 AM   #42

Spartan Chassis
Hey Guys..
Well it's 8 degrees on my porch this morning! And the added bonus of 6 inches of snow! Supposed to get round 2 tomorrow evening...
I think I got the winterizing right...
Normal highs for this time of year in Denver is 61.. This Sucks!!!
I saw on the Entegra forum one of the participants said he used 10 gallons of red pop on his.. Now I don't feel so bad... I wonder if he figured out what he did wrong?
Stay warm..
Ron