Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Travel Supreme Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2019, 03:03 AM   #1

Spartan Chassis
Stupid.. Maybe time to pull the plug!

Hi all..
Some of you may have followed my threads about a blown air bag that wasn't allowing the coach to level.
Well a number of weeks ago I ordered a front and a rear back for just this type of situation. AS you know you can't move one of these puppies with the suspension down.
Well I found a mobile heavy truck roadside repair business who agreed to come up to my home at 9200 feet on a gravel road to do this. Fortunately I have a concrete drive so that wasn't an issue.. Would have been a lot worse if this had happened while we were on the road.
Well the tech had the old one out in pretty short order and I went into my garage to retrieve the spare.
I brought out the replacement and it didn't match!!! Can you imagine my feeling.. The tech said no way this would work.... I was frantic... The house was supposed to start being painted today and I really wanted the coach to be away while that was happening...
I ordered the parts by VIN from Spartan so I know they should be a fit. They have a build card on every one... Well it was later on a friday afternoon so I couldn't call. My tech was running all over looking for a match with the old bag.. Naturally all the numbers were worn away... He thought that he may have found a match but it would have to me shipped in 3 or 4 days... What choice did I have...
Well bright and early Monday MOrning I got on the phone ready to rip someones head off at Spartan. I got ahold of Lloyd in RV Chassis parts and told him what had happened. He was flabbergasted.. He checked and rechecked and said they had the right number . The only thing he could think of is someone pulled the wrong bag... Well I did as asked and when I got there I almost **** myself! I had given the tech the front bag as the replacement for the rear one! I was crushed... How stupid.
Well there is a saying about an education costs a lot and a good education really costs a lot. The nice man said it happens and he gave me a break on the wheel spinning. He only charged me 3 hours for all the running around which was probably 1/2 of what it should be.. Lesson really learned...
For your general information here are the proper numbers..
Front Firestone # W01-755-9966 Spartan # 1919-004-001
Rear Firestone W01-358-9825 Spartan # 27873388
I would recommend that if you plan on ordering these check the on line stores as the are at least $75 cheaper each with free shipping. That makes them almost a $100 less than ordering from Spartan
Now for my "pulling the plug statement... I then decided to winterise the coach as we are turning very cold and will have snow on Thursday... Normally (yeah right) it is a pretty straight forward deal. I drain the hot water tank and use compressed air to blow out the lines...Then pump red pop antifreeze to further protect the system. But Oh No... I could not for the life of me remember the proper positions of the water line valves to do this.. I made a ell of a mess covering myself and the wet bay with antifreeze! I think I finally have it figured out but it's taking a hell of a lot of antifreeze to fill the lines and fixtures. I have used 4 gallons so far and still don't have enough... Does anyone have a diagram of the line valves and the positions they should be in. Also for the hot water bypass?
. Also from the That is where my comment about "Pulling the plug" comes from.
With these 2 botch ups on simple things I wonder if my 75 years (Birthday is on the 21st) might be time to think about giving up our beloved lifestyle...
We are due to leave for Arizona right after the 1st of the year so we will see if that goes any better.
Any nsight any of you can give will be most appreciated..
BTW I have an 04 TS n\model 40DS04.
Thanks
Ron
04 Travel Supreme 40DS04 400 Cummins ISL
rhusak is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2019, 06:24 AM   #2

American Coach Owners Club
Sleep on it for 6-12 months before making a decision, then decide not to pull the plug.

Everyone has a bad day or 2 now and then and as we age even the smallest things can get depressing.

Part of life. I can see nothing in your recent problems that would warrant such a huge decision.

Hang in there.
Old 10-08-2019, 07:07 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Show me somebody who never makes a mistake and I'll show you somebody who never does anything.

Hang in there pal, I'm your same age and make dumb mistakes occasionally but I figure that's just part of the game.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 07:20 AM   #4

Don't Give Up

So long as you know your name and come Home from the store you are GOOD.About the same age I make mistakes to many things on our minds. It does not get easier !!!!I'm 1 of 4 sons my father use to start at oldest name and work down. It is something you enjoy why give it up to just sit around. Some retire from work and miss it so badly they feel unwanted. Stick with it.You Earned it !!!
retiredusps6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 07:36 AM   #5

Nor'easters Club
Hi Ron,

We all do stuff like this and I certainly wouldn't "pull the plug" quite yet. As Airboss68 identified, you definitely want to think about it for a year or so before moving on. I remember when I was thinking about getting rid of my sailboat years ago. My wife gave me the same advice. We ended up using it for another five years and then moved on to the RV.

I'm away from the rig, but can send you some pics next week of the various valve lineups if someone doesn't jump in first. Different coach, but that type of stuff should be similar. Lastly, I usually use a lot more than 4 gallons to winterize.

Hang in there buddy,

Lou
sailor_lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 07:40 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Been on the phone with DirectTv for 1 hour...3rd call! Would switch to Dish in a flash but they have offered $60 off for a year, so I'm holding and hoping they don't make it worse.

Big companies bad stuff happens. Maybe go back to Pony Express...ahh c#@p they failed too. I bet someone's letter wasn't delivered when the horses quit running half way across.
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 08:02 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhusak View Post
Hi all..
Some of you may have followed my threads about a blown air bag that wasn't allowing the coach to level.
Well a number of weeks ago I ordered a front and a rear back for just this type of situation. AS you know you can't move one of these puppies with the suspension down.
Well I found a mobile heavy truck roadside repair business who agreed to come up to my home at 9200 feet on a gravel road to do this. Fortunately I have a concrete drive so that wasn't an issue.. Would have been a lot worse if this had happened while we were on the road.
Well the tech had the old one out in pretty short order and I went into my garage to retrieve the spare.
I brought out the replacement and it didn't match!!! Can you imagine my feeling.. The tech said no way this would work.... I was frantic... The house was supposed to start being painted today and I really wanted the coach to be away while that was happening...
I ordered the parts by VIN from Spartan so I know they should be a fit. They have a build card on every one... Well it was later on a friday afternoon so I couldn't call. My tech was running all over looking for a match with the old bag.. Naturally all the numbers were worn away... He thought that he may have found a match but it would have to me shipped in 3 or 4 days... What choice did I have...
Well bright and early Monday MOrning I got on the phone ready to rip someones head off at Spartan. I got ahold of Lloyd in RV Chassis parts and told him what had happened. He was flabbergasted.. He checked and rechecked and said they had the right number . The only thing he could think of is someone pulled the wrong bag... Well I did as asked and when I got there I almost **** myself! I had given the tech the front bag as the replacement for the rear one! I was crushed... How stupid.
Well there is a saying about an education costs a lot and a good education really costs a lot. The nice man said it happens and he gave me a break on the wheel spinning. He only charged me 3 hours for all the running around which was probably 1/2 of what it should be.. Lesson really learned...
For your general information here are the proper numbers..
Front Firestone # W01-755-9966 Spartan # 1919-004-001
Rear Firestone W01-358-9825 Spartan # 27873388
I would recommend that if you plan on ordering these check the on line stores as the are at least $75 cheaper each with free shipping. That makes them almost a $100 less than ordering from Spartan
Now for my "pulling the plug statement... I then decided to winterise the coach as we are turning very cold and will have snow on Thursday... Normally (yeah right) it is a pretty straight forward deal. I drain the hot water tank and use compressed air to blow out the lines...Then pump red pop antifreeze to further protect the system. But Oh No... I could not for the life of me remember the proper positions of the water line valves to do this.. I made a ell of a mess covering myself and the wet bay with antifreeze! I think I finally have it figured out but it's taking a hell of a lot of antifreeze to fill the lines and fixtures. I have used 4 gallons so far and still don't have enough... Does anyone have a diagram of the line valves and the positions they should be in. Also for the hot water bypass?
. Also from the That is where my comment about "Pulling the plug" comes from.
With these 2 botch ups on simple things I wonder if my 75 years (Birthday is on the 21st) might be time to think about giving up our beloved lifestyle...
We are due to leave for Arizona right after the 1st of the year so we will see if that goes any better.
Any nsight any of you can give will be most appreciated..
BTW I have an 04 TS n\model 40DS04.
Thanks
Ron
Ron,

I'm a lot younger, and make Bigger, lot Bigger, mistakes all the time - (72 I think)

Heck you blew it out it should be fine - I never put the Pink stuff in - if in doubt turn on a little heat - -

Everyone got back so we will take a tank of gas road trip into the mountains - thinking through Boulder - then Peak to Peak to Leadville - RT 24 to Minturn then Minturn to Golden for Dinner. Might Do Buena Vista instead of Minturn - just depends on how the time is and if there are any Aspen at that elevation, Pretty sure we missed them.....

Then home to work on the RV and the House with the hope to be on the road Soon......

So put me in with the folks that say you are fine - Heck you ordered the parts and had them - way ahead of the rest of us, Miles Ahead. (think I need to get a spare soon - - or at least have the part number - )

Hang in there - the warm weather in the South is in your Future -

Best of Luck,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 08:45 AM   #8

Pulling the plug

Ron,

The next time you're on the road, with light traffic, beautiful landscapes and a favorable tail-wind, all of your concerns today will be forgotten.
Life is good. Look ahead.

I can hardly wait for retirement; and I'm older that you.

Ray
texasrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 09:37 AM   #9

Did you by pass the hot water tank. If you don't, it will take a lot of antifreeze to fill it up.
Old 10-08-2019, 09:41 AM   #10

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by winniman View Post
Did you by pass the hot water tank. If you don't, it will take a lot of antifreeze to fill it up.
Yeah I think I did... But unsure of what the valve positions should be... DUH! Only about the 10th time I have done this...
04 Travel Supreme 40DS04 400 Cummins ISL
rhusak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 11:32 AM   #11

Hi Ron-

I'm younger but feeling old... experiencing some forgetfulness and not as sharp as I think I used to be.

Since I'm not a medical professional I won't try an internet diagnosis but will suggest you talk to your physician and see if a referral to a neurologist is in order. You're right to be concerned at this point in your life - whether that means full timing in the sticks and bricks or not depends on too many other factors. My guess is that you're in better shape than you feel right now.

If you've relied on memory for the thousands of details about running your coach, frankly you've done very well indeed. Might be time to start the detailed check lists to back up the Gray Matter Computer.

Good luck and safe travels.
Old 10-08-2019, 12:03 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Stupid? I like to tease myself by saying "well that wasn't smart. Did you learn?" I can not relate to dumping antifreeze all over myself. I live in Las Vegas Nevada and do not winterize. I have made some mistakes before. The most expensive was when I plugged my progressive industries power serge protector into 30 amp outlet and it told me there was an open neutral. Most people would not plug their RV into this. I did and had to replace the inverter/charger. I am not rich and still work. I do feel I learned from this mistake.

Bill
signet63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 09:07 PM   #13

Spartan Chassis
Hey Ron,
Welcome to the three score and ten plus club! I can certainly identify with what you are experiencing. I rely more on checklists and phone photos now than I ever did in the past.

I also have slowed everything down a notch or two and think it through prior to jumping in making mistakes.

The day will come when we all have to hang up the keys but as several others have said we are all going to make any changes necessary to our routines that will allow us to keep doing the thing we really enjoy as long as we can.

Can't help much with the winterizing as I don't have to winterize in Texas.

As one of my favorite actors of all time says, "Don't let the old man in!"
2023 F-150 Towed
rag_ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 06:53 AM   #14

Yep, Robert . . . Clint Eastwood. Great actor. Toby Keith sang the song that used Clint's quote.

Ray
texasrs is offline   Reply With Quote