RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Travel Supreme Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-21-2017, 08:45 AM   #1

Swapping Norcold 1200 for a Samsung 18RF - any photos?

Getting into the Mindset to take out the Norcold 1200 and Install the 18 RF ( Samsung 33 in. W 17.5 cu. ft. French Door Refrigerator in Stainless Steel, Counter Depth-RF18HFENBSR - The Home Depot )

Found this - http://www.rvforum.net/miscfiles/Res...or_Install.pdf

So the question is anyone in the TS world have Pictures/Advice, on the install? I'm in a 2005 TS 42-DS04.

Need to gain a few inches to fit - so will need to do something with the Drawer below the 1200 in the TS.

1200 - dimensions - https://www.manualslib.com/manual/32...?page=5#manual

Samsung - dimensions

http://www.homedepot.com/hdus/en_US/...05532592-6.jpg

http://www.homedepot.com/hdus/en_US/...5532592-0w.jpg

http://www.homedepot.com/hdus/en_US/...05532592-3.jpg

So the plan would be to remove the drawer and add a floor above the Central Vac, needs to be 3/4 plywood with support under the legs.

Will need to seal the Access panel to the elements - will insulate it also. Thinking I might leave the vent to the roof just for letting out hot air? Will likely insulate to help with the Sound?

Will build a platform to set the Refrigerator on to be able to roll into the hole.

Will secure the gas connection and shut off.

Will hook up water for Ice maker.

Will relocate Plug to be out of the way - Going to put this on a switch under the sink so as to be able to shut off if needed.

Will need to secure the top and bottom so as to not move, Was thinking if the trim on the 1200 comes off that I could use it to trim out the Samsung, anyone done this?

I'm sure I have missed some things but you guys will help me out.

Corrections/ Suggestions/Advice,

Thanks,

Busskipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2017, 09:01 AM   #2

Nor'easters Club
My only advice is the new Frigidaire 2 door is has more usable space than the 2 door GE Profile originally came with my 2006 TSS. Not a fan of the three door...

djnorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 09:16 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by djnorton View Post
My only advice is the new Frigidaire 2 door is has more usable space than the 2 door GE Profile originally came with my 2006 TSS. Not a fan of the three door...
Is the Frigidaire a Counter Depth? Do you have the Model Number?

I have no option for a regular Refrig, must be Counter Depth to allow the passage in the Hallway.

Floor plan 2005 TS 42-DS04 - http://www.bozmedia.com/rv/images/layout.jpg

Thanks for the quick reply,

Busskipper
Old 05-21-2017, 09:42 AM   #4

Nor'easters Club
Yes, this is counter depth..Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1495381295.085046.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	248.1 KB
ID:	162548Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1495381342.427966.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	295.2 KB
ID:	162549. I purchased this at Lowes..
Old 05-21-2017, 09:53 AM   #5

Quote:
Yes, this is counter depth..Attachment 162548Attachment 162549. I purchased this at Lowes..
Frigidaire Gallery 22.2 Cu. Ft. Counter-Depth Side-by-Side Refrigerator Stainless Steel-FGHC2331PF

I had ruled this one out as it was 36" wide

With this Model did you need to widen the opening - as it is a 36" my opening is 33"?

Looks like yours fit's right in.

Busskipper
Old 05-21-2017, 09:56 AM   #6

Nor'easters Club
No, exact fit from the GE Profile it replaced...
Old 05-21-2017, 10:01 AM   #7

Spartan Chassis
Busskipper..
We did this change last summer when my "Nevercold" failed before our summer trip. That time we used the norcold as a ice chest with the associated mess and hassle..
I used a set of instructions that Drew on the forum kindly sent to me... I hope I can figure out how to attach the PDF..
This is one of the best if not the best changes I have made in my coach!
A couple of things we did a little differently than Drew specified.. One we took the door entirely off.. Really not that difficult just a number of self tapping screws... We only removed the passenger seat from its pedestal and that gave us enough room to remove the norcold and get the samsung in... We used a harbor freight moving platform.. You know the flat frame with wheels on it.. Cheap and made moving the fridge around much easier and also easier to slide the fridge in..
My wife quickly quit bemoaning the loss of her pot and pan drawer... Hard ice cream.. really cold drinks and much more room in the fridge and freezer..
I never have gotten around to hooking up the fridge to the inverter.. We just got home from a 4 month trip to Arizona and never had an issue with the fridge warming on travel days..
BE SURE to figure on a positive way to lock the doors and drawer shut... Ask me how I know this..
I closed off the the outside vent and the roof vent and added some insulation to the compartment mostly for sound deadening... It is quiet BTW..
Go for it you won't be sorry..
Ron
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ReplacingNorCold 1210LRIM-V2.pdf (2.14 MB, 146 views)
04 Travel Supreme 40DS04
rhusak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 10:02 AM   #8

Quote:
No, exact fit from the GE Profile it replaced...
If I were to replace with a 36" it would likely be Samsung 22.5 cu. ft. 4-DoorFlex French Door Refrigerator in Stainless Steel, Counter Depth-RF23J9011SR - The Home Depot

Wife loves this in the Sticks and Bricks so it was her first choice but ruled out for the fact that it was 36" wide.

Thanks for the Help/Advice will keep it in Mind,

Busskipper
Old 05-21-2017, 10:08 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhusak View Post
Busskipper..
We did this change last summer when my "Nevercold" failed before our summer trip. That time we used the norcold as a ice chest with the associated mess and hassle..
I used a set of instructions that Drew on the forum kindly sent to me... I hope I can figure out how to attach the PDF..
This is one of the best if not the best changes I have made in my coach!
A couple of things we did a little differently than Drew specified.. One we took the door entirely off.. Really not that difficult just a number of self tapping screws... We only removed the passenger seat from its pedestal and that gave us enough room to remove the norcold and get the samsung in... We used a harbor freight moving platform.. You know the flat frame with wheels on it.. Cheap and made moving the fridge around much easier and also easier to slide the fridge in..
My wife quickly quit bemoaning the loss of her pot and pan drawer... Hard ice cream.. really cold drinks and much more room in the fridge and freezer..
I never have gotten around to hooking up the fridge to the inverter.. We just got home from a 4 month trip to Arizona and never had an issue with the fridge warming on travel days..
BE SURE to figure on a positive way to lock the doors and drawer shut... Ask me how I know this..
I closed off the the outside vent and the roof vent and added some insulation to the compartment mostly for sound deadening... It is quiet BTW..
Go for it you won't be sorry..
Ron
Thanks got the PDF will print it out and read through it. This forum is great.

Thanks for the info,

Busskipper
Old 05-22-2017, 05:41 AM   #10

I had mine put in so I could surprise my wife for Christmas so I don't have much install info. She hated the norcold that much. I bought the same RF18 and love it. Never looked back so make sure you do it. Now we have to much space in fridge which I am sure will not last long. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2163.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	335.3 KB
ID:	162652
Old 05-26-2017, 04:49 PM   #11

Spartan Chassis
swapping norcold for a Samsung

I got tired of not getting a full nights rest with the Norcold after seeing so many units that had caught fire. I installed an Amish cooling unit and that worked okay for several years. I than went to Indiana and had Paul install the Samsung RF18. The wife did fuss initially about losing that bottom drawer but was happy with all the additional space and convenience of the French door model. They installed it thru the drivers side window. That's been about three years ago and still satisfied. Runs off the old invertor just fine-but could use extra batteries or solar for extended stays dry camping.
Travel Supreme #40DS01-ISL-400
Jeep Sahara Unlimited-2010
gptexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 07:29 PM   #12

Just replaced my norcold with the samsung 18. Tried the front door but couldnt get it past the tv above the dash. With 3 of us we put it in a pickup truck pulled the truck along side, drivers side with the window held open with a 2x4 about 42" long brought it right in over the couch took about 3 minutes with out having to remove the front doors and passenger seat.
ferg00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 10:26 PM   #13

Spartan Chassis
I just made this switch and love it. Can anyone advise me on how to put the frig on the inverter ? ty
bunkworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 07:14 AM   #14

Nor'easters Club
Busskipper,

One thing I did to help get over the loss of the drawer was to lower the fridge as much as possible and then made a cabinet above it. Although not seen in the attached pic, I cut down the old drawer front and hinged it on the bottom for access into the cabinet. The opening is only about 6-7" high, but does provide plenty of storage space.

On my rig all the flexible plumbing for the kitchen sink runs under the fridge so in order to maximize the space I used angle iron to support the plywood base. I also relocated the icemaker solenoid valve from inside the fridge to the back to make winterizing the unit easier.

Similar to Ron, I removed the passenger's seat and with the fridge doors off I was able to carry it through the door with the help of a friend. It is surprisingly light with the doors off. Good luck and keep us inform of your progress.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lower angle.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	183484   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sink plumbimg.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	183485  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fridge.jpg