Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Travel Supreme Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-26-2019, 07:47 AM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Temperature when tank water and pipes start to freeze

I have a 2003 TS 38 DO04 RV, wanting to add potable water to my tanks. In the cold North now and don't want to freeze my tank or piping before my departure South. I know it has a heated basement, but at what temperature do I have to start worrying about stuff freezing? The heat will be on in the set as low as the thermostat will allow. What are we thinking it would be good for as a low temp? Thanks, Bill
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2019, 08:07 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldeguy View Post
I have a 2003 TS 38 DO04 RV, wanting to add potable water to my tanks.

In the cold North now and don't want to freeze my tank or piping before my departure South.

I know it has a heated basement, but at what temperature do I have to start worrying about stuff freezing?

Below freezing for a longer period of time

The heat will be on in the set as low as the thermostat will allow.

If the heat is on you will be fine.

What are we thinking it would be good for as a low temp?

We have had our Coach in Golden, Colorado one winter at -17 for 10 nights straight with no issue, Monitor the Basement temps and you should be fine - I keep one in the wet bay and one on the wall of the water tank - one more under the sink for when we are parked.

Thanks, Bill
https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l...b667e681ba4b4e

With the 10 day forecast - if true you should be fine till the 6th - 2-3 degree below freezing for a few hours will not freeze much.

Look at these to help with the decisions - always have these functioning in my Coach - https://www.amazon.com/s?k=thermomet...b_sb_ss_i_4_24

Summation - if your heat is on you should have not issue - Coach is well insulated - might think about getting some reflexic for the front windshield as that is the biggest area for heat loss.
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 09:40 AM   #3

Spartan Chassis
Busskipper hit the nail on the head. Suggest purchasing one of the remote sensing thermometers in his second post. I keep one sensor under my fresh water tank and one in the water hook-up bay. This allows monitoring of critical area temps and I can adjust the bay thermostat as required. Also make sure you don't have the registers in the bay blocked.
2023 F-150 Towed
rag_ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 01:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldeguy View Post
I have a 2003 TS 38 DO04 RV, wanting to add potable water to my tanks. In the cold North now and don't want to freeze my tank or piping before my departure South. I know it has a heated basement, but at what temperature do I have to start worrying about stuff freezing? The heat will be on in the set as low as the thermostat will allow. What are we thinking it would be good for as a low temp? Thanks, Bill
I am from Vermont it depends how cold and for how long myself id winterize and bottle up some water to use till I reached a warmer climate your tank has a lot of water and will take a long time to freeze solid to do damage but those 1/2 inch water lines will burst in no time if exposed to freezing temps
Herb
Herb51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 01:53 PM   #5
Dom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb51 View Post
I am from Vermont it depends how cold and for how long myself id winterize and bottle up some water to use till I reached a warmer climate your tank has a lot of water and will take a long time to freeze solid to do damage but those 1/2 inch water lines will burst in no time if exposed to freezing temps
Herb
x2
Old 12-26-2019, 03:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom View Post
x2
if you happen to run out I have a lot of nothing myself
Herb51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 04:41 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
hello all, good info...I feel very good about these TS couches. Thanks for the feedback and I feel can add water with the heat on in 20* temperatures and be OK...thanks again...
Old 12-26-2019, 04:45 PM   #8

No problem if you have heated basement, the only concern you should have if your wet Bay Area, had a night last week at -20 f with out any heat in the wet Bay Area, next morning opened the water valve and not even slush in the water it was completely in water , so for my use never have been a problem , even here up in Canada
Dany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 08:12 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Something you can do if you have shore power. I run a small ceramic heater with a fan in my wet bay as added insurance. I also turn on the water heater if it is going to be in the low 20s.
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 08:35 PM   #10

Spartan Chassis
I have never had my water bay freeze with a 95 watt light bulb operating. I hope I will still be able to find them in the future!

You should also be aware of the line running to the ice maker, if you don't have your RV type refrigerator operating. Another good spot for a light bulb.
2023 F-150 Towed
Old 12-29-2019, 02:02 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by rag_ftw View Post
I have never had my water bay freeze with a 95 watt light bulb operating. I hope I will still be able to find them in the future!

You should also be aware of the line running to the ice maker, if you don't have your RV type refrigerator operating. Another good spot for a light bulb.
I use to use a light bulb but upgraded to the heater with a fan because my water pump is in another compartment (they are connected so you get some air flow) And I thought this gave better protection.
You are right about the icemaker line. I have had to replace the water valve because I shut off the refrigerator and didn't have any heat back there. Now I have a resedentual and have sealed and insulated the back wall/acess area. It is now heated by the inside heat source.
Happy New Year.
Bill
Old 12-30-2019, 02:46 AM   #12

Not sure if your coach is plumbed with Pex, my 05 45DS04 is.

My son in law is currently visiting from Interior AK, we were just talking about pex piping today. He is a plumber and has worked on numerous "freeze ups" in very cold temps > -40. He said it is very rare to see Pex burst, most times maybe a small leak will be the result of a freeze up. Doesn't answer your question but thought it was good info to share.

Stay warm and get south.
Azee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 08:16 AM   #13

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azee View Post
...My son in law is currently visiting from Interior AK, we were just talking about pex piping today. He is a plumber and has worked on numerous "freeze ups" in very cold temps > -40. He said it is very rare to see Pex burst, most times maybe a small leak will be the result of a freeze up. ...
I have confidence PEX will not have a problem in most areas of the lower 48. Not so much confidence in all the hard plastic diverters, valves, and connections the PEX passes through on our coaches!
2023 F-150 Towed
Old 12-31-2019, 08:42 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Never had the pex pipe crack but have had a fitting crack from freezing.
Bill

Tags
tank, temperature, water