Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Travel Supreme Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2013, 05:50 AM   #15

Vintage RV Owners Club
Its a wonder the manufacturers of these devices don't have some sort of setup in place that lowers the electronic gizmos on the roof when something like the parking brake is released?

I have seen folks drove of a couple of times with their satellite dishes up and only by the grace of god were we, or other nearby campers able to run over and let them know before their devices were torn off...

It sounds like a pretty simple feature to install.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2013, 06:02 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blag View Post
Its a wonder the manufacturers of these devices don't have some sort of setup in place that lowers the electronic gizmos on the roof when something like the parking brake is released?

I have seen folks drove of a couple of times with their satellite dishes up and only by the grace of god were we, or other nearby campers able to run over and let them know before their devices were torn off...

Maybe so but most of these TV antenna' are mechanical crank-up.
Old 09-22-2013, 06:54 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
My light, in bright daylight, was hardly noticeable and in a position on the dash that was mostly out of line-of-sight because of steering wheel.

I have a typed checklist in a plastic sleeve with a cord loop attached. It hangs from one of my switches and covers my ignition key slot. I really can't ignore it. I stow it so it's sticking out of the console and then I remember to hang it immediately when I park. Basically, I only have one thing to remember ... hang the checklist! My DW and I (2 people) go over the checklist each departure.
Great idea.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:54 AM   #18

I have pretty much determined that the antenna head is a Winegard. The replacement would be the Sensor IV. However, per Leroy's advice I am going to install a "Jack" antenna. It appears to be great and I will not ha ve to worry about putting it up or down. It would be considered an update to w hat was originally on the motorhome. Thanks to all that helped.
Old 09-22-2013, 01:35 PM   #19

I haven't installed the "JACK" yet but think that it is a worthwhile improvement. The device has a good reputation for quality reception, has a low profile while in motion, and has no moving parts. For a person like me who can be forgetful, the device seems to be foolproof and is relatively inexpensive. What could be better other than being free ???
LEROY1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 01:43 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blag View Post

Great idea
Old 09-22-2013, 02:14 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickschaak View Post
I have pretty much determined that the antenna head is a Winegard. The replacement would be the Sensor IV. However, per Leroy's advice I am going to install a "Jack" antenna. It appears to be great and I will not ha ve to worry about putting it up or down. It would be considered an update to w hat was originally on the motorhome. Thanks to all that helped.
Good choice ... took me about 2 hours including peeling the old Dicor off. Never less than 2 channels wherever I am and usually more like 20 (of which 3 I would actually watch)
Old 09-30-2013, 03:08 PM   #22

bummer, you might try a clip on the park brake. I can't release my park brake until I remove the clip, that's when I realize I forgot a step. good luck
pub1898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:01 PM   #23

Lots of ideas on how not to forget to run the antenna down. I clip a clothes pin right to the ignition key. Can't start it until you remove the clothes pin.. Great idea a friend of mine shared with me.
DA_BUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:09 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: KM Parks in Western Washington and Yuma,Az for the Winter
Quote:
Great idea. A light goes on in the dash but not easy to notice. I will use a note thanks.
I used to hang my keys on the handle. Works well-----that was after going about 20+ miles. No damage other than a really red face!
Old 10-02-2013, 09:18 PM   #25

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I hang the ignition key on the antenna handle. Haven't forgotten it yet.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:44 PM   #26

Quote:
Yesterday we left a park and also left our tv antenna in a tree branch. It was a great antenna, worked perfectly and it was completely automatic. But you had to push a button to make it go down. I did not do that.
I used to have an analogous kind of problem with a farm implement where I would forget to lower it before putting the tractor in gear. I ended up stringing some nylon fish line into some makeshift channel guides with an orange safety flag attached at just the right location point on the nylon line loop. So as I sat in the tractor seat and looked forward, the orange flag would be directly in my line of sight and remind me....but if I had properly lowered the implement, the flag would drop down and out of sight. And on one occasion even a new-hire realized that the flag had to mean something and he stopped and asked for instructions just before releasing the safety break. One could easily rig the same kind of nylon-loop to raise a flag into position when one of the rooftop devices is raised. (I assume that if one is raised/extended, all of them are, so one indicator would suffice.)

[I had originally gotten by with a simple, single-line (non-looped) 8' segment of nylon line which would bend back a flexible rod with an orange flag on the end which had been the inside of a hog-whip. But when the implement was raised, it looked like a break in the nylon line would cause the whip to suddenly flip forward and perhaps pose a danger---even though anyone standing in front of the tractor was already in likely danger. But storing energy that way in a wicked looking, pointed whip looked nasty. Thus, the nylon-loop alternative.]
Helping my disabled father and my care-giver sister in getting their fifth-wheels for a long-term, rural Texas site. I hope to do likewise within a year or two so...just trying to learn all that I can. Any & all advice is appreciated!
NathanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 03:13 PM   #27

Spartan Chassis
Dick,
Here's another antenna for your evaluation. I have no experience with this product. Maybe you could ask the squirrels what they think?
Lava Electronics introduces omni directional HDTV antenna > RV Daily Report |
2023 F-150 Towed
rag_ftw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna