Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Travel Supreme Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2016, 11:13 AM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
TV Antenna Replacement - Suggestions?

Looking for suggestions here...while an ME Toy Hauler has some rather unique challenges, this one is likely something other MH owners have faced and solved. I've got a Winegard motorized Sensar antenna on this unit. That means there is no mechanical connection between the interior and the antenna base, just a 4-conductor wire harness and a coax feed. The antenna will neither raise up/lower down, nor rotate. Winegard does not support this with parts (or tech advice).

I'd switch to a King Jack or other antenna, were it not for the problem or rotating the antenna. How have others solved the antenna replacement when you have no mechanical link to the base (and prefer not to drill holes into the interior?

And before someone suggests a Leaf or other window/countertop home antenna, I'm fully aware of those options. Just looking for something with a bit better signal rejection that would not have a cable hanging down/running back to the overhead Box of Many Buttons.

Thoughts appreciated. Surely others have solved this dilemma with finesse.
f15epilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2016, 12:47 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have a Winegard Roadtrip T4 and like it A LOT. Not sure of your preferences/needs…but, we have kids and on very long trips while on the road, having the ability to watch their shows on live TV without having to mess with DVDs is GREAT and passes the time for them.

Also, once we get to our destination, theres pretty much no fuss with it. Typically, it's already locked on to the signal once we reach our dest, so I just turn it off and we're all set for the duration of our stay. If we dont use it on the trip, I just turn it on once we set up camp and within about 2 minutes, we have live tv…no problem. Its great. There is only the coax and power wires that run to it.

Not sure if this helped at all or not, but good luck!
NH Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 11:31 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Actually looking for the Over-The-Air TV antenna, not the satellite. Might consider the T4 for a replacement of the useless King Dome I removed.

And...since CW has the Winegard Rayzar RZ-8500 on-sale, and actually on-site at Dega, I opted for that one. I'll mount it permanently when I get home, removing the inoperative MA-1000W. First use, and with a couple extra coax unions (3dB loss of signal for each), the unit pulled in more stations than the MA-1000W could, and that was with the MA manually 'pointed' after a lot of trial and error.
f15epilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 08:59 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by f15epilot View Post
Actually looking for the Over-The-Air TV antenna, not the satellite. Might consider the T4 for a replacement of the useless King Dome I removed.

And...since CW has the Winegard Rayzar RZ-8500 on-sale, and actually on-site at Dega, I opted for that one. I'll mount it permanently when I get home, removing the inoperative MA-1000W. First use, and with a couple extra coax unions (3dB loss of signal for each), the unit pulled in more stations than the MA-1000W could, and that was with the MA manually 'pointed' after a lot of trial and error.
I see what you're saying now...I misunderstood your question. I thought you were looking for suggestions just generally, on a motorized antenna working with the restrictions of only a couple wires…which the T4 does have and is also enclosed in a dome. So it's a pretty clean, low profile, easy solution that works well, even while on the road.

As far as the over-the-air antenna, I think I've used mine once for a minute or two just as curious comparison and haven't touched it since.

Anyway...That's good that you've found a solution. Good luck.
NH Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, antenna, replace, replacement

« trophy | Dash heat »