Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Travel Supreme Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-28-2009, 07:59 AM   #1

Question What does a shear pin look like?

When the Sales Manager was walking us through our new-to-us 2004Travel Supreme one of the slides would not retract. Later, we were told the shear pin was broken and they replaced all of them just to be safe. I would like to buy some spare ones to carry with me but I do not know what buy because I don't know what they look like or what size to buy. Can anyone help me?

Denway3299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2009, 08:23 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Typically they are just a metal or sometimes plastic pin that is cylindrical in shape and lengths vary. You will need to buy the ones specifically fro the application. The dealer should be able to get you set up with some spares and show you where they are located.

It is a great idea to keep one or two spares. While you are at it, you should also get some spare fuses for the coach as well as spare light bulbs for the tail and stop lights.

Ken

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Miniature Schnauzer, one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 08:40 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Another name for some types of shear pin is roll pin, which is a cylinder made by rolling sheet steel into a tube. There are different grades of roll pins so you can't just go to your local hardware store or auto supply store and buy them unless you are sure about what you need.

The bedroom slide mechanisms in my MH, made by RBW Industries, has two shear pins and I have had to replace them several times. They are a high strength roll pin that has multiple layers instead of one. I bought spares directly from the manufacturer.

After one failure, before I learned how to replace the pins myself, I took it to an RV repair shop. The mechanic there did not have the right pin but made a temporary repair by using two common single-layer roll pins, one inside the other.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:53 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Another name for some types of shear pin is roll pin, which is a cylinder made by rolling sheet steel into a tube. There are different grades of roll pins so you can't just go to your local hardware store or auto supply store and buy them unless you are sure about what you need.

The slide mechanisms in my MH, made by RBW Industries, has two shear pins in the bedroom slide. They are a high strength roll pin that has multiple layers instead of one and are 0.25 diameter, 1.125 long. I bought spares directly from the manufacturer.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:12 AM   #5

Thanks for the replies and tips. My dilemma is I don't know what the service person replaced them with. Since the dealer was not a former Travel Supreme franchisee, I don't know if they used the same type like the one that was sheared or just a pin or bolt that would fit. I'll check my bedroom slide, which should be easier to see what they used and hopefully the size and type of material. Since Jayco owns what is left of Travel Supreme, I may call them to verify I'm using the correct replacements. Thanks again for your comments.
Denway3299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:15 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I should point out that there are several shear pins in use today.. My Slides use a common 1/4" bolt, about 1.25 inches long, grade 5 seems to work best. I buy 'em by the dozen though so you know how long they last :(

I have seen square and half moon shaped pins

To get the proper pin for your rig... Ask the service tech
Old 05-29-2009, 02:34 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
To lessen the chance of breaking shear or roll pins (and they are different) keep the slide mechanism lubricated, the slide out walls polished and the battery voltage good when extending or retracting.
06 Saturn Vue & 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 toads
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 02:53 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The next time your at the Dealers with your RV, make prior arrangements for a tech to show you where the pins are located and other items you may not know, i.e. fuses, breakers, fresh water tank drain valve, switches, etc.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 03:24 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Wizard View Post
To lessen the chance of breaking shear or roll pins (and they are different) ...
The shear pins in my RBWI slide mechanism, which where purchased directly from RBWI, are roll pins. How are they different?
Old 05-29-2009, 06:12 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Basically a roll pin is a pin used to locate and pin a piece from movement. They are not designed to transmit any real force. A shear pin is designed to transmit a force and to shear or break if excessive force is applied and thereby preventing damage due to overload of the mechanism.

The shear pin has to be designed with diameter and material in mind to allow it to hold during normal operation, but to shear when overloaded. Some shear pins are brass, some steel and some even plastic...depends on the use.

A roll pin is usually hollow and made from rolling a piece of flat hardened steel into a cylindrical shape.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Miniature Schnauzer, one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 06:30 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Are you saying that the pins that the manufacturer supplied for my slides are not shear pins, or that they are not roll pins? They are hollow pins made from steel rolled into a cylinder.
Old 05-29-2009, 08:32 PM   #12

Wayne,
Mine has 4 slides and the main/large slide broke a shear pin.I replaced it with a 1/4" grade 8 bolt,temporarily.I ordered some proper shear pins from http://djspecialties.net/
I found them very helpful.He told me that TS had went to a 5/16 pin.So I had to drill out the shaft on the motor to 5/16 for the new pins.
Also what RV Wizard said..wax them up and lube the drive tubes(or whatever they are called).I used Liquid Wrench brand of teflon dry lube.So far so good.BTW the shear pins on these are solid 5/16 diameter and around 1-1 1/2 inch long.
Fuzz

2003 36'Travel Supreme 5er36RLQSO
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 09:42 PM   #13

I have yet to find a shear pin on my slide mechanisms. I see a piece of hollow tubing connecting the drive shaft from the motor to the shaft operating the cog wheels, held in place with a cotter pin. So where is this point of shear?
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 03:24 AM   #14
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
There are many different slide room designs and so there are also many different fasteners used to connect the mechanisms together. Sometimes it is even changed after leaving the factory as Fuzz found out due to a continuing issue.
Too sometimes a name is given to a thing and it may not always be accurate. Like Freon. Everyone uses the name but it is a brand name of refrigerant. You could have the same refrigerant and it not be made by Dupont, but most will call it Freon.

06 Saturn Vue & 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 toads
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote