Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Travel Supreme Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2020, 08:33 AM   #1

What is the small solar panel for?

I have a small solar panel, probably 5 or 10 watts toward the rear of our 2002 DSO2 Motorhome. Anyone know what that is for?
It appears to be the reason that the house batteries are drawn down as soon as I disconnect from shore power, unless there the sun is shining on the coach. For some reason there is almost 11 VDC on the wiring coming to the panel when the panel is disconnected.
AccessMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2020, 09:32 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
The 5 and 10 watt panels were supposed to be for keeping the batteries topped off.
IMO they are a gimmick and can be disconnected if you want to.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 09:54 AM   #3

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by okcnewbie View Post
The 5 and 10 watt panels were supposed to be for keeping the batteries topped off.
IMO they are a gimmick and can be disconnected if you want to.
Yup.. I did.. Disconnect I mean... No ill effects.. My original one looked pretty sad...
Ron
04 Travel Supreme 40DS04 400 Cummins ISL
rhusak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 11:56 AM   #4

Because the chassis batteries don't charge when the rig is plugged in to shore power, the 5 watt solar panel was installed by the factory and connected to the chassis batteries only. Clean it up, verify it's still connected to the batteries and you'll probably find that it works exactly as intended. The one on my 2004 Select does exactly what it is supposed to.

Safe travels.
alfetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 12:35 PM   #5

Hmmmm, the BIRD on my 06 Select keeps the chassis batteries charged just fine when I'm plugged in to shore or running the genny, AND the house batteries when the Cummins is running.
Old 01-15-2020, 12:42 PM   #6

mine's a small 10w, for the chassis [engine] battery, for off of electricity

marc
marcopolo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 12:46 PM   #7

Yep....the B.I.R.D will do what you've posted, but didn't come standard on any of the TS coaches I'm aware of....at least not the older ones. Did you, or a previous owner add it? There are a number of after market products that can be installed to do the same. I've not seen the need as my solar panel works just fine. As for the house batteries....they all charge when the Cummins is running. The White Rodgers Relay closes when the ignition switch is on and combines the chassis and house batteries.
Old 01-15-2020, 01:40 PM   #8

BIRD was standard on mine. Why would we have a boost switch if the Big Boy always connected with the key on?
Old 01-15-2020, 02:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfetch View Post

As for the house batteries....they all charge when the Cummins is running. The White Rodgers Relay closes when the ignition switch is on and combines the chassis and house batteries.
That would be hard on the alternator if the large house bank was low.

The BIRD or what ever your RV uses, IRD, BIM, BCC, controls the White Rodgers Solenoid to prevent overloading the charging system.

If too much current is drawing down the chassis battery, thru the solenoid to the low house bank, it open up for a time to let the alternator cool and and chassis battery recover, then closes the circuit again.

That's the D in BIRD, delay.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 03:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
BIRD was standard on mine. Why would we have a boost switch if the Big Boy always connected with the key on?
To start the generator if batteries are low?
Old 01-15-2020, 03:59 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
That would be hard on the alternator if the large house bank was low.

The BIRD or what ever your RV uses, IRD, BIM, BCC, controls the White Rodgers Solenoid to prevent overloading the charging system.

If too much current is drawing down the chassis battery, thru the solenoid to the low house bank, it open up for a time to let the alternator cool and and chassis battery recover, then closes the circuit again.

That's the D in BIRD, delay.
Hmmmm...my big old 200 amp alternator is still original and keeps on charging. It's pretty robust. That being said, batteries that are extremely low should be charged by the generator or shore power first, when possible.
Old 01-15-2020, 04:39 PM   #12

Having a boost switch just for the genny seems like much ado about very little to me, but it's a moot point in my coach because I have the BIRD.

I've always understood BIRDs were typical for TS.
Old 01-15-2020, 08:43 PM   #13

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
Having a boost switch just for the genny seems like much ado about very little to me, but it's a moot point in my coach because I have the BIRD.

I've always understood BIRDs were typical for TS.
Nope, no BIRD on mine (See post #7)! Had to install a Trik-L-Start
2023 F-150 Towed
rag_ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 08:47 PM   #14

Spartan Chassis
In response to OPs original post: That small solar panel is SUPPOSED to keep the chassis batteries topped off when not running the engine for extended periods.
They have been know to short and draw 2+amps in stead of charging. You should have a quick disconnect on the roof where the wires go into what appears to be a tank vent. Unhook it and see if that helps. I had to replace mine a few years back.
2023 F-150 Towed
rag_ftw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
panel, solar, solar panel