RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Travel Supreme Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-05-2018, 05:43 PM   #1

Spartan Chassis
Why Do I Always Have 25-30 Gal Remaining Before A Fuel Fill-Up?

I have run mine for 100 miles after the low level red light came on and still only added 75 or 80 gallons to my 100 gal tank.

My tank is advertised as 100 gal, but I am beginning to wonder if I have 100 gal of usable fuel? I know the foaming we get when filling will take up some space in the tank, but I wouldn't expect it to be 25-30%?

Is it just me or do any of the rest of y'all have a problem with fuel tank quantity?

Spartan Mountain Master
rag_ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2018, 05:56 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
It's not unusual for the gauge to be inaccurate. You could crawl underneath and with a small hammer tap the tank and determine the fuel level by sound. The consequences of running out of fuel can be much more time-consuming than filling up a bit more frequently than absolutely necessary. At least you can probably still use your generator when that much fuel is left in the tank.

If you keep careful records of amounts and mileage, you'll be able to have a fairly accurate idea of how far you can drive on a tankful. Don't forget to factor in wind and direction, my MPG goes way down when driving into a good headwind. I religiously reset my trip odometer on every fill-up.

If none of the above is workable, run your tank down pretty far and then drop the tank and replace the fuel sensor. If you're lucky, maybe you can access it without dropping the tank, but often that's the first step on RVs.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 06:11 PM   #3

Seldom go below a half tank. Our standard practice with everything is to start looking for fuel then.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 06:25 PM   #4

Nor'easters Club
Hi ya Robert,

I hope you are well. Regarding your question, I have found my gauge to be surprisingly accurate. Based on indication alone I can estimate within 5 gal. how much fuel I will need. The only issue I have is once I get down to around 3/8 the gauge swings wildly as I move. When I say wildly it will go from Empty (with the red light on) to completely Full in about 3 seconds. If I stop, it will stabilize, but it sure makes me uneasy when I'm driving. As a result, I'm usually looking for a diesel pump when I hit the half way point.

I would think the gauge circuitry would have a damper and the tank should have a baffle to minimize the fuel sloshing around.
sailor_lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 07:50 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
25-30 sounds perfect! I hope I never run mine that low!
Old 03-05-2018, 11:03 PM   #6

Spartan Chassis
Our '06 TS 40 DS04 has a 150 gallon tank. Gauge always been accurate. We have made the same trip to SoCal & back several times, I have my favorite fuel stop I go to, but it was closed for construction. No big deal, I just headed NB on I-5 & would stop along the way. Brain did an obvious shut down & I found myself headed up the Grapevine with the 'red light of death' shining brightly! How & when it got to that point, no idea. Ask wife to get the numbers from our last fuel stop-From her recorded #'s - We had plenty of fuel to get over the hill. (Convinced wife-NOT MYSELF!) Made it to Gorman & felt like I was coasting into that fuel stop without a drop to spare. I had to 'squeeze' 110 gallons in. Sure would like to know the difference between having 40 gallons left in the tank & the 'oh crap' meter going off. Tough on the heart headed UP the grade not knowing for sure....Of coarse 'she' knew perfectly well......
ceeja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 10:06 AM   #7

I have an UltraGauge in each of my vehicle that displays exact fuel used, fuel left and how many miles I can travel. It connects to the OBDII.

This way, I know exactly how much fuel I have left and how many miles per gallon I used.

UltraGauge OBDII Scan tool & Information Center
Seon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 10:26 AM   #8

Just curious - do you have an in tank fuel pump? If you do it might partly be to protect the pump as the fuel cools the pump on other vehicles.

Just some thoughts:
It might also depend on the size of the tank. The pickup tube should be above the bottom by a bit and probably needs an inch or two of fuel to avoid sucking air. Large flat tanks will need more fuel to do that then skinny vertical one's.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 05:32 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My VMSpc keeps good track of my fuel levels.
My era Freightliner chassis had horrible venting, I have to milk the last 15-20 gallons in.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 05:32 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Like most gauges, mine is not linear, and the level drops faster once the gauge gets to half.

Once I get down to a third, I am heading in to get fuel. I don't care how many extra miles I have left, I look for the next truck stop.
Old 03-08-2018, 09:11 PM   #11

Spartan Chassis
Good questions!

I do not have an in tank fuel pump.
I would say my tank tends to be on the skinny vertical side of the scale.

My gauge does not appear to be linear either.

VMSpec does a good job, but it is only as good as the info I input. If I say my tank has 100 gal when it is full and I only have 80 gallons of unusable fuel VMSpec will run me out of fuel before it indicates empty. I should enter my usable gallons and not the tank capacity if I want VMSpec to be accurate!

You guys are right in that once it gets below 1/4 I should be looking to fill up. It's just the pilot in me that wants to know the usable quantity! I must add I don't want to know bad enough to run it out of fuel to really find out! Again the pilot coming out in me!
Spartan Mountain Master
rag_ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 09:32 PM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
I used to drive VWs before they had gas gauges. You had a lever to flip when the engine started to starve of fuel, the lever would start to draw from a slightly deeper tube and you had about 1 1/2 gal. of fuel (reserve) to get to a gas station. Worked great unless you didn't flip the lever back after a fill-up. It was about 1963 or so when VW started installing gas gauges.

I just don't pay that much attention to gauges, I fill up when my odometer suggests I should.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 09:34 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rag_ftw View Post
I must add I don't want to know bad enough to run it out of fuel to really find out! Again the pilot coming out in me!
Hi Robert,

I don't recall exactly when it was, but, I do remember the squadron I was in at the time I read an article in Flying Magazine that made an impression on me.

Sometime between June 1975 and June 1978 (likely '77 - '78), Flying magazine published an article. Although I don't recall any of the specifics from the article, the title pretty much captured the essence. "Only A Fool Runs Out of Fuel".

My generator pickup is at the quarter tank level. Although I don't frequently count on running my generator, it's nice to know that I've got enough fuel in my tank that I could, if I wanted to.

Take care,
Stu
Old 03-08-2018, 09:35 PM   #14

I was told that the gauge reads E when it's really still 1/4 full, so that there will be a 'reserve' so that the engine will start. Kinda like when the generator fuel pick up is set at 1/4 full tank, so the gen runs out of fuel before the reserve for the engine has been tapped.

cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel