Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Travel Supreme Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2016, 04:47 PM   #1

Windshield

It's my first summer owning a travel supreme 40 ft 2002 with 370 hp Cummings. My third trip out i heard a pop and noticed that the lower driver side split Windshield had a crack that looked like it originated under the lower windshield rubber gasket at the left hand corner. What now. I've read a lot of threads. Does the 40 ft coach on the Spartan chassis need cross bracing. It has 69,000 miles on the original windshields. I know the windshield was not hit by anything. Any info appreciated.
jwann1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2016, 05:17 PM   #2

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwann1 View Post
It's my first summer owning a travel supreme 40 ft 2002 with 370 hp Cummings. My third trip out i heard a pop and noticed that the lower driver side split Windshield had a crack that looked like it originated under the lower windshield rubber gasket at the left hand corner. What now. I've read a lot of threads. Does the 40 ft coach on the Spartan chassis need cross bracing. It has 69,000 miles on the original windshields. I know the windshield was not hit by anything. Any info appreciated.
Jwann1
I have an 04 TS 40 footer.. Had both windshields replaced last winter while in Arizona... All went well..
Yes it is Spartan Chassis (I believe all that Travel Supreme used) where the ones that needed "X" bracing.. But usually on longer units.. But some have had that done on 40's..
It doesn't seem reasonable that your 02 (14 years old) would have waited this long to exhibit this problem.. Besides it sounds like something caused your break. It doesn't take too much of a hit to cause this especially if the hit takes place close to the edge..
Usually the chassis flex exhibits windshield popping out and cracking.. Usually when stressed by trying to jack to level etc.
But I suppose anything is possible..
Hope you are enjoying your coach otherwise..
Good luck..
Ron Husak
04 Travel Supreme 40DS04 400 Cummins ISL
rhusak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 05:30 PM   #3

Spartan Chassis
What was the status of the coach when this happened? (Moving, Parked, Leveling, operating slides...)
2023 F-150 Towed
rag_ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 09:01 AM   #4

Really not sure. It was not cracked before we started out. We had to be driving down the road which was up, down hill and curves. But not extreme I have been on worse. While driving we did hear a pop but it sounded like it was on the passenger side like something had fallen off the wall on passenger side but never found anything. I'm guessing that was when it cracked. I noticed a few minutes later when my eye caught it in the sunlight. I'm wondering since it's only about 12 inches long and mostly out of sight it I can have it stop drilled and the have the crack filled. I've seen that procedure done on car windshields and after repairing the crack you can't see it. But that might not work since the windshields flex so much. Thanks Joe
Old 09-24-2016, 10:00 AM   #5

Windshields

Jwann1 , Sorry to hear about your problem but it is not new to me I cracked both front windshields on our first trip took it to Procession Paint and had all the X-bracing done still broke Three more windshields . The coach is at Pauls new shop having the hoop system installed Going up to Indiana next week to check on things My coach is a 45 footer I believe some coaches are just worst than others. When I had a small crack in the windshield they said they couldn't repair once it start to run, If it is that small I believe I would let it get worst before doing anything Pete Hagen (Sirmowsalot)
PETEHAGEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 10:12 AM   #6

What does the cross bracing normally cost and what is the hoop system and what does it involve and is it costly. I will probably let it get worse before I change the windshield. But at this point I'm a little worried.
Old 09-24-2016, 10:33 AM   #7

windshield

Jwann1, The cross bracing costs around $3500. The windshield hoop system run Between $5700, & $6500 The front inside of coach dash, cabinets , everything concluding the seat up to the first slide is removed to install the hoop system. even the entry door.. Its alot of work Pauls said But hoping this solves my windshields problems. Good luck Pete Hagen (sirmowsalot)
PETEHAGEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 06:14 PM   #8

Spartan Chassis
If it were me I wouldn't be all that concerned about a windshield that was 14 years old with 69,000 miles cracking on a 40' coach. At least I wouldn't be worried enough to have the hoop installed and probably wouldn't do cross bracing either. Our shorter coaches don't seem to have the flex problems that the big boys have to deal with.

Here is a link to a previous discussion. Just some additional data points to help with your decision.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f274/cros...ts-222825.html
2023 F-150 Towed
rag_ftw is offline   Reply With Quote