Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Travel Supreme Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2017, 09:51 AM   #1

Winterizing

I have a 2004 Travel Supreme and full timed for 7 years. Wintering in southern AZ and living in it we never had to winterize it. We have a place in southwestern UT (St George) where nights get below freezing and days are in the 40's and 50's.

I'd like to put the pink antifreeze in the water lines but I'm not sure exactly how to do it. Can I put a hose in the pink stuff and the other end on the city water intake, turn the pump on and open each faucet (and toilet) one by one until pick comes out?

Any other tips?

Thanks!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2017, 12:13 PM   #2

The city water intake is "not" connected to a pump, so it will not draw anti-freeze from a jug.
You need to totally drain the entire water system including the water heater and then disconnect, and add a Winterizing Connector ($30.00) to the "in" side of the fresh water pump.
The additional hose on the Winterizing Connector is then inserted in the anti-freeze jug and will pump fluid through your water system.
Once the Winterizing Connector has been added, it has a Bi-Pass valve that is simply switched between the fresh water tank or the anti-freeze jug.
Very simple DIY project that you will use every time you want to winterize the system.
Jim.B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 04:29 PM   #3

Spartan Chassis
If you are not going to use your coach during the winter follow Jim's suggestion. Google with bring up youtube videos of how to winterize. Also don't forget to drain the ice maker, any dinking water lines, and all water filters.
If storing for the winter will electric be available?

If you are still full timing you won't need to winterize in St George.
2023 F-150 Towed
rag_ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 05:13 PM   #4

Jim and Robert,

Thanks! We are a few miles north and 1500 ft higher than St George so our temps are about 10 degrees colder.

We do have power (50 amp) available. RIght now I have the furnace set to 40 but that uses propane. I also have the water heater on so that's covered.

I have a small 200 watt heater in the bay now if needed.

I could also use the heat pump for below freezing nights.

I thought putting antifreeze in the lines would help, but maybe that's overkill?
Old 12-14-2017, 05:30 PM   #5

Depends on your setup. On ours we do connect a short hose to the city inlet but there is a lever that I must switch to " tank fill ".
My tip would be to make sure you bi pass the hot water heater and fresh tank.
In my opinion there is no such thing as overkill when it comes to winterizing.
Which ever method you use, do it fully and correct.
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 05:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monacoach View Post
Depends on your setup. On ours we do connect a short hose to the city inlet but there is a lever that I must switch to " tank fill ".
My tip would be to make sure you bi pass the hot water heater and fresh tank.
In my opinion there is no such thing as overkill when it comes to winterizing.
Which ever method you use, do it fully and correct.
I believe that's my set up also. I have a "fill tank" switch that "toggles" between fill tank and use the city water. What is your procedure after you connect the short hose to the city fill?
Old 12-14-2017, 05:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjackson View Post
I believe that's my set up also. I have a "fill tank" switch that "toggles" between fill tank and use the city water. What is your procedure after you connect the short hose to the city fill?
Ok open all the low point drains until empty then close them. Drain the water heater tank then bi pass it. Bi pass the fresh tank dump grey and black tanks. Turn the pump on and let it suck the pink stuff until it pressurizes and shuts off. Turn taps on one at a time until you see pink. Make sure some pink gets down every drain. Dont forget toilet and outdoor shower. do you have an icemaker?
Old 12-14-2017, 05:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monacoach View Post
Ok open all the low point drains until empty then close them. Drain the water heater tank then bi pass it. Bi pass the fresh tank dump grey and black tanks. Turn the pump on and let it suck the pink stuff until it pressurizes and shuts off. Turn taps on one at a time until you see pink. Make sure some pink gets down every drain. Dont forget toilet and outdoor shower. do you have an icemaker?
thanks! no ice maker..
Old 12-14-2017, 06:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjackson View Post
thanks! no ice maker..
Good one less item to winterize. I did fail to mention to drain the fresh tank but im sure you know.
Old 12-14-2017, 06:28 PM   #10

Don't forget to turn all the valves to let antifreeze through the core for a few seconds to fill the valve core then close the one's that are normally closed. If you do not the water in the valve core can freeze and crack the valve body.

when removing the pink stuff flush with a strong bleach solution to sanitize and remove any antifreeze residue. Let it soak for a few hours then flush with clean fresh water.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 06:29 PM   #11

Thank you!
Old 12-14-2017, 10:48 PM   #12

I would like to know how the "Fill Tank" in the City Water connection can draw anti-freeze from a jug!
What pumps that anti-freeze into the lines?
The City Water inlet simply directs water coming from the city water lines to either the RV's fresh water tank or through the RV's water system.
Am I missing something here?
Jim.B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 11:28 PM   #13

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Winterization Procedure for 2007 Excel 5th Wheeler

These procedures tailored to my RV, adjust as required for other applications.

1. Drain fresh water, black and gray water tanks
2. Darin water heater, open both bottom drain and high pressure relief valve
3. Open low level water drains, leave open for now
4. Set bypass valves on water heater
5. Set the bypass valves on the whole house water connection
6. Drain the whole house water filter
7. Use a hand or electric pump to force antifreeze through the city water connection until it comes out the cold low level drain
8. Close both low level drains
9. Use hand or electric pump to force antifreeze through the black water sprayer system
10. Close valve between the fresh water tank and the pump
11. Open the siphon valve
12. Dump 2 – 3 gallons of antifreeze into larger bucket, makes the process simpler
13. Place the siphon in the antifreeze
14. Start the pump
15. Starting at the nearest facet, open hot and cold until a good pink stream is observed
16. Work through all facets and valves
17. Remember outside shower, ice-makers, washing machines, dishwashers, etc. Each of these may have different procedures
18. Pour about pint plus of antifreeze into each drain trap, sinks, shower, etc.

Note:
I no longer bother with blowing air through the system. I just rely on total replacement of the water by antifreeze. It gets into all of the low places.

I have remote water pump switches located near the siphon hose and a third switch in the wet bay. These are simple SPST switches. All wired with 10 ga. wire for low voltage loss.

I have a residential Watts water pressure regulator just inboard of the city water connection that needs to be winterized.

To pump antifreeze through the city intake and the black water tank sprayer I use a second RV water pump I carry to transfer water from a portable water bladder into my fresh water tank. This also winterizes this pump.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 03:51 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim.B1 View Post
I would like to know how the "Fill Tank" in the City Water connection can draw anti-freeze from a jug!
What pumps that anti-freeze into the lines?
The City Water inlet simply directs water coming from the city water lines to either the RV's fresh water tank or through the RV's water system.
Am I missing something here?
The water pump sucks the pink from the jug through our city inlet. I know all setups are not equal but this is how ours works.

Tags
winter