Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-15-2017, 06:53 PM   #15

not changing the subject...but i wouldn't put a 150 gal gas tank on Aspire....i think you'll put the weight over the front axle weight....they are pretty close already.
grr2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2017, 09:22 PM   #16

Excellent point.... weight on front axle....

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 09:28 PM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
A 10K generator will put out over 80 amps @ 120vac. Thinking in terms of what you get out of shorepower, that's the equivalent of 40 amps on two legs. Whereas a 12.5K generator is the equivalent of the same thing you'd get from a 50 amp shorepower connection - two legs of 50 amps.

3 A/C's would draw approx 45 amps.

Figure out the amperage of what else you'd like to run at the same time, you've got about 35 amps still available.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 12:42 AM   #18

I don't know what the weight of diesel is, but say it's pretty close to jet fuel. Call it 6.7#/Gal., heck, call it 7#/Gal. X 50 gallons = 350# at most additional weight. And while the lion's share of this weight is on the front axle, it's not 100%.

While the weight isn't an inconsiderable value, I sincerely doubt our Aspire is that close. The '17 Aspire is equipped with Reyco Granning IFS1700 rated at 17,000# GAWR.

Regarding the 15K/generator discussion, yes, you would potentially have (2) 15K's running at 15A each on one leg, plus another 15K at 15A on the other leg. You'll have a little room electrically on L1 and a lot more room on L2, or the leg with only 1 A/C.

While this is an interesting mathematical discussion, I can assure you an ONAN 10K is sufficient to run (3) 15K's and anything a typical family of four require. This not simply because of what the calculator says, but from personal experience while living in the south.

Another poster mentioned, and I will reiterate that the generator should not be the Primary reason for choosing an Aspire, or an Anthem. I would simply add that the fuel capacity issue can also be resolved fairly easily. Not everyone is aware of this.

I hope this helps,

-Matt
2016 Open Range RF376FBH (Sold)
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 01:19 AM   #19

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
Excellent point.... weight on front axle....

Gary
2017 Aspire has the exact same front axle and front GAWR (17000) as the Anthem and the Anthem has the 150 gallon fuel tank. The 2017 Anthem does have its air tanks relocated further aft but I doubt that makes a significant difference. Our 2017 Aspire with all the crap on board of a full timer plus full fuel and water is still almost 1000# underweight on the front axle.

10K watts is 42 amps at 240 volts or 84 amps at 120 volts vs. 50/100 amps for the 12K genset. In 5 years of full timing, never had any issues with the 10K genset keeping up with our power needs.
voltdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 09:08 AM   #20

Rob

I am not second guessing your voltage / power calculations and I am not questioning your experience with a 10K generator, and since I don't own an Aspire, I am not familiar with the 4 corner weight figures for an Aspire. What I am familiar with is my own 4-corner weight numbers and with a full tank of fuel and all our junk on board for a 3 month trip, and me and DW sitting in our places, we are 100# over on the front driver side on a '15 classic Anthem. I can live with that, but I would not like to see that "overage" increased. My point was simply that increasing my weight by 350# would not be something that I would do until I fully understood the impact of the difference on my load limits, and that is on Michelin 315s. I might love to have a 200 gallon fuel tank and the additional distance between fuel stops too, but wont be making any gross changes to my weight distribution until I have a new front axle installed....

Now, Rob, I just recently discovered your blog, and I want to congratulate you and the Karen for an informative and interesting blog. Loved your write-up on Quartzsite and you guys did a nice job on capturing the essence of the town, the show, and the gathering, and it was great to get to know you guys (and everyone else who was there....). We are now going to stop in Las Cruces, NM and read through your summary and enjoyed that also. We usually are "high-tailing" it across southern New Mexico after 3 months on the road but this time decided to stop, smell the roses, and explore Las Cruces. Sadly, we are slowly working our way back to Louisiana......... after 3 months on the road, but the S&B is always fun too.....

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 09:53 AM   #21

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
This thread may help in your decision making process, a long thread discussing differences of 2017 Aspires/2017 Anthems:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/tryi...em-299450.html

One important omission on the thread is the auto locking storage bay doors on the Anthem. Anthem has auto locking doors, can lock/unlock with key FOB, keyless entry, or Vegatouch panel. Aspire has manual locking/unlocking storage doors, all must be locked/unlocked individually with a key.

Good luck on deciding what is the right coach for you.
Ready2Travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 10:41 AM   #22

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
Me thinks one coach is "All Electric" and the other is not..
In 2017 the Aspires are now all electric like the Anthems.
Ready2Travel is offline   Reply With Quote