Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-15-2017, 12:11 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
10KW versus 12.5KW

Currently debating Aspire versus Anthem. Noted one difference was the size of the generator. Is 10KW adequate to run everything on the Aspire? Why move up to the 12.5KW on the Anthem?

Thanks in advance!
superman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2017, 12:17 PM   #2

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by superman11 View Post
Currently debating Aspire versus Anthem. Noted one difference was the size of the generator. Is 10KW adequate to run everything on the Aspire? Why move up to the 12.5KW on the Anthem?

Thanks in advance!
Are you looking at new or used?
2016 Ford Edge Titanium
Victory Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 12:19 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
New - Most likely.
Old 03-15-2017, 12:32 PM   #4

Foretravel Owners Club
Me thinks one coach is "All Electric" and the other is not..
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 12:35 PM   #5

I'm sure you know there are lots of other differences as well.

I would assume the reason for the 10K instead of the 12.5K is the single inverter/charger in the Aspire. I know the 12.5K will run all three AC's and both chargers at the same time, so makes sense that with one less charger to run, the Aspire could get away with the 10K gen.

And help keep the price point down
RubiconTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 12:37 PM   #6

They actually say the 10k is the same sound decibel as the 12,5 k
Power wise a 10 k will definitely run any coach with 3 15 k airs..
like having a cornerstone with 600 hp versus the anthem 450
They both do the job but one is bigger.
You don't buy the anthem for the bigger gen but for the other upgrades on a anthem imo.. 150 gallon fuel tank is big...
lowejug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 12:55 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Main reason I believe is battery charging time. The Anthem has twice as many batteries to charge. The 10 KW will do fine on running everything in an Aspire.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 12:57 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for all the information, and so fast, WOW!
Old 03-15-2017, 12:59 PM   #9

Well, both will handle the 3 ACs but with how much margin?? If you were boondocking in Galveston in August, you would probably be running all 3 AC units virtually continuously, both chargers, maybe the dryer or washer or both, and the TV or whatever and using almost all of that 12.5KW. Of course, hanging on commercial power all the time makes that difference largely irrelevant. How much boondocking are you likely to do???? If very little, then generator size is likely not very important.

More is usually better and when it comes to gennys, bigger is better in my opinion. Glad I have 12.5 Kw. However, I would never spend an additional $50,000 for the additional 2.5Kw..... there is a lot more difference that is more important between the Aspire and Anthem than that, and you should probably be buying those things, not the generator.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 01:03 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
Well, both will handle the 3 ACs but with how much margin?? If you were boondocking in Galveston in August, you would probably be running all 3 AC units virtually continuously, both chargers, maybe the dryer or washer or both, and the TV or whatever and using almost all of that 12.5KW. Of course, hanging on commercial power all the time makes that difference largely irrelevant. How much boondocking are you likely to do???? If very little, then generator size is likely not very important.

More is usually better and when it comes to gennys, bigger is better in my opinion. Glad I have 12.5 Kw. However, I would never spend an additional $50,000 for the additional 2.5Kw..... there is a lot more difference that is more important between the Aspire and Anthem than that, and you should probably be buying those things, not the generator.

Gary
Definetly understand that the differences between the two coaches is not just the the genny - but was wondering about the "margin" on the aspire genny. Thanks for your reply.
Old 03-15-2017, 01:16 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowejug View Post
They actually say the 10k is the same sound decibel as the 12,5 k
Power wise a 10 k will definitely run any coach with 3 15 k airs..
like having a cornerstone with 600 hp versus the anthem 450
They both do the job but one is bigger.
You don't buy the anthem for the bigger gen but for the other upgrades on a anthem imo.. 150 gallon fuel tank is big...
Agreed on the fuel tank. We want to take it to Alaska (among other places) and the 150 gallon tank would be a Huugggeee advantage! +Boondocking advantages, etc. Thanks for the reply.
Old 03-15-2017, 01:56 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
The fuel tank advantage is bigger than it appears. Generally, you won't use the bottom 25 gallons of your tank because some me of it just won't feed from the tank and because you need to allow a reserve to avoid running out. That means you have 75 useable gallons in the Aspire vs 125 useable in the Anthem.

As for the genny, my previous coach had two air conditioners and a 7.5 KW generator. It was more than enogh generator and I never needed more. Adding a third A/C and a residential fridge is the only significant electrical difference between the two coaches, and stepping up from 7.5 to 10 KW should more than compensate, so I believe the generator in the Aspire can easily do all you want.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 02:14 PM   #13

We've had (2) coaches with 15K roof airs and the ONAN 10K, not a problem in either case.

The Aspire can be equipped after the fact with a 150 gallon tank. Parts are under $1200, but I can only guess at the labor. The space is available, as the frame is the same in the Anthem.

An '18 Aspire is a value packed coach. We have a '17, and I'm tickled.

An Anthem would just be that much better. Personally, I'd urge you to consider a few year old Anthem or even Cornerstone as they will have any kinks worked out, and still offer a lot of use. Pricing could arrive near the price of a new Aspire or Anthem.

-Matt
2016 Open Range RF376FBH (Sold)
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 03:49 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by superman11 View Post
Thanks for all the information, and so fast, WOW!
We are the Superman of forums
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote